“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Seaford, Delaware
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My Cousin & I vacationed in Charleston and stayed at the Francis Marion. Staff was very nice, friendly, and helpful. The beds were very comfortable. However, the rooms are small and the bathroom is EXTREMELY tiny - especially for two women! The walls were also "thin" in that you could hear everything and we were on the 9th floor and could hear people in the park across the street. But, we were glad we stayed where we did as it is in a great location to in relationship to historic downtown Charleston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We are in a great location! Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor, and we are glad too that you chose to stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here for New Years, despite some problems with the "Cocoa and Carriages" package -- wasn't really worth it. Jesse, the manager, did go all out to make up for those problems and that's a huge plus.

The location right on the square is perfect, with King Street and all the best of downtown Charleston right outside the front doors. We wanted a quiet room for NYE and got one on the back, so the view probably wasn't what most visitors want, but it was perfect for us. Room itself was very nice: comfortable bed, spacious, nicely decorated. Valet and doormen were great.

A few drawbacks: The furniture and walls had visible wear-and-tear, our door had seriously chipped wood around the lock that we couldn't figure out (trying to break out?), and the very tiny bathroom had an odd shower configuration. The elevators are really slow and one had a light out, and the restrooms below the main floor aren't so pretty. I know those sound like minor, nitpicky items, but things like this factor into the overall experience and perceived value, and are the difference between 5/5 and 4/5.

In short, we'd probably stay there again, but we'd also look into a few other options we saw while walking the historic area.

Tip: Visit Virginia's on King just a couple blocks north for excellent breakfast/brunch, and don't miss the nearby Closed For Business if you love craft beers and gastropub fare.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Happy New Year! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback. We are in the process of painting the doors of the rooms, and we have a large elevator project that just started this week, which should make the elevators more efficient. I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with our package, but I am glad to hear that Jesse was able to make up for it. We are doing some retraining on that package. I hope you do choose to stay with us again next time you are in Charleston.
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend stay in SC. I'm pretty simple when it comes to hotels. I don't need the most expensive or luxurious. I must say, when we arrived at this hotel, I was in awe. For starters, the hotel staff are very professional, courteous and helpful. The hotel is located in walking distance to nearly everything is near downtown Charleston.

The hotel, itself, is absolutely beautiful with an old fashioned charm. Actually, I was drawn in at the lobby. It is filled with beautiful chandeliers and piano (visitors are asked not to play the piano as it is reserved for the hired musician). The room we had was equally beautiful and spacious. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, and I appreciate you sharing on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your great comments to our staff. We look forward to your future stays with us.
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed a two night stay at this hotel. The lobby is beautiful, especially at Christmas, with lots of comfortable seating. Our corner room was lovely and spacious with a desk, dresser and vanity. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was compact but I really liked the open shower-roomy with plenty of hot water. The concierge gave us great suggestions for things to do and places to eat. Located close to shopping and restaurants we walked from the hotel. We did not use the spa but it is nice that it is there. There is a free shuttle you can use that picks up across from the hotel. I would highly recommend the Francis Marion Hotel and I look forward to returning!!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor in a corner room and we had a great view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending our hotel on Trip Advisor, and we look forward to your return stays with us!
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wonderful hotel. Staff professional, courteous,and knowlegeable.
Lobby and music delightful ... a real treat! Bellmen were genuinely interested and interesting.
The concierge ( can't remember her ame ...my fault , not hers) was amazing and so hospitble ,made you feel like one of the family ( hers, not ours).Restaurent staff were equally as professional and FRIENDLY! Totally enjoyable 3-4 days/

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your great experience on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your nice comments to our concierge.
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I really wanted to love this hotel. It's historic and charming in a great location, an easy walk to the best spots in Charleston. My stay started with the key not working after a very long day of travel. No problem the maintenance staff replaced the batteries and saved the day. Since this is a historic hotel the rooms and bathrooms are quite small or shall we say cozy. Thankfully the bed was large and very comfortable which is really the most important part of a hotel room. Once I was in the room I found the sprinkler system near the ceiling looked like it had leaked for a long time and had not been fixed (see photo) but wasn't leaking at the time. On the last day of my stay, the sprinkler started leaking onto a chair which ended up getting some of my clothes wet right before packing which was not ideal. To top off the stay, the hot water wasn't working the morning I left so I ended up taking a cold shower, packing my wet clothes and leaving disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate the feedback on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that your stay began and ended not so well. I will certainly have our Maintenance Team look into the problem with the sprinkler. The hot water problem was fixed later that day, but I apologize that you had to experience it. If you would like to contact me, I would love to do something to make up for your disappointing stay (valerie.ross@thefrancismarion.com), and I hope you will give us a second chance.
Lambertville, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Francis Marion for a few days in celebrating New Years Eve and anniversary. It's a charming old hotel with a nice location on the square and is in walking distance to the historic area and waterfront.
The rooms are elegant with comfortable beds our bathroom was quite small and I was joking that they must only give that room out to people who are small enough to fit in it! We didn't have a view of the square but that being said our room was very quite which was important to us and the rooms facing the square my have been noisier.
I had originally booked the Cocoa and Carriage package all the way back in August and was quite excited about it! This part of our experience did fall quite short of my hopes and expectations. When we got there we were handed vouchers for the cocoa and carriage ride they were unable to tell us the exact location of where to pick up our carriage ride and anything about the ride schedule and the voucher is for a ride with a group of strangers not for a single couple. That is not how it was presented on the website.
I had called three times between August and December to find out how to book our carriage ride in advance knowing it would be a busy time for the holidays each time being promised a return call once they found out the information but never receiving one.
When we found the place where we were supposed to get our carriage ride we were told they were done for the day at 4pm and that if we came the next morning we should get there earlier or we could expect to wait around for an hour or so. We were flying out that day and never received our carriage ride.
Then we were supposed to pick up our hot cocoa and complimentary mugs in their restaurant downstairs " The Swamp Fox " when we came in with our vouchers the hostess at the front didn't even know about the holiday package. She had to find a manager who then said she wasn't sure if there were any mugs left and if so she didn't have access to them at that time but asked for our room and said she would get them to us. Meanwhile we were handed two styrofoam cups filled with watered down instant hot chocolate not quite the cute quaint experience we had hoped for. We did receive the stainless steal travel mugs to our room later. Maybe I am unrealistic but I was expecting something like a cute ceramic keepsake with a wreath or Christmas tree something festive on the front. We didn't even bother packing them to take home.
At this point I was quite upset this was not at all what I had been hoping for I went and spoke to Jesse the manager who was VERY understanding of my disappointment. He did right by us refunded the cost of the package and sent wine and chocolate covered strawberries to our room for an anniversary celebration.
He gave us excellent customer service and remedied the situation to the best of his abilities without any lame excuses which is why I would recommend the Francis Marion and return there myself!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the trouble you had with our Carriage and Cocoa package. We are going to make sure everyone on our team is familiar with the package moving forward. I know that does not change your experience, but please, rest assure, we are taking this situation seriously. I am delighted to hear that, even though your stay was not perfect, you will stay with us again in the future. Again, I am so sorry for the troubles, but we look forward to your future stays with us.

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!