“Beautiful hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Alabama
“Beautiful hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Francis Marion in October. Our room was well appointed and the most comfortable beds ever!! Total bliss. Our bath was the smallest bath I have ever seen; barely room to turn around; let's just say one could touch the tub, commode and sink all at the same time. The lobby was beautiful and the Swam Fox restaurant had really good breakfast. Our room overlooked the park and Arthur Ravenel Bridge, great view. The hotel is located on King Street which has good shopping and a number of top notch restaurants in walking distance. Very walkable area and that was a major plus. The concierge was quite helpful recommending restaurants and making a reservation for lunch on the Sunday we were leaving. All staff were polite and helpful; made us feel welcome from the moment we walked in. It is an older hotel but well maintained with beautiful decor. They also have a Starbucks in the lobby area across from Swamp Fox restaurant. The hotel is also in walking distance of the Market, another plus.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor overlooking the park, very nice view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and appreciate you sharing your nice comments on Trip Advisor. Our beds are very comfortable! We look forward to your future stays with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you have read any of my other Charleston reviews, you know I am sort of addicted to the King Charles Inn. This trip, I had my 92 year old mother with me and we were visiting my daughter at C of C so we stayed here to be close to her dorm for convenience. The hotel is a beautiful old building dating to the 20s. The lobby is gorgeous and smelled phenomenal-scented but very clean scent. Our room was unbeleivable spacious. My guess is that it had been 2 very small rooms (ie twin beds) in days past and they ahd knocked a wall down. As a result we had lots of moving about space as well as 2 bathrooms and 2 closets. Since the bathrooms were also quite small, it was nice for us to each have our own. The beds were incredibly comfortable and our view from the 6th floor faced east toward Mount Pleasant, the park and the Arthur Ravenel bridge. If you are traveling with someone who does not climb steps well, you have to take a small elevator to get to the lobby and then another elevator to get to the rooms (may be incovenient for some). Parking is in a nearby garage (self for $14 and valet for $19) which DID make me miss my convenient off street free parking at the King Charles. Since I did have my elderly mom with me, we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, The Swamp Fox (see separate review) and were pleasantly suprised. The Starbucks on the first floor provided an easy early option for a scone and latte for breakfast-no room service but easy enough to hop down and pick up yourself. I prefer the more central location of the King Charles as well, this IS very convenient to the college but a bit of a walk to the market and the battery.

Room Tip: I would think a room facing south would have a FABULOUS view!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Charleston to visit your daughter. We appreciate the review on Trip Advisor. We do offer room service daily from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, and I apologize if that was not communicated correctly in your room. I am happy to hear overall you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you will choose to stay with us again during your future visits.
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I lived in Charleston for a year and a half and stayed at the FM during my first trip back since moving away. I was in town for a conference, and although I had attended some conferences and other events at the FM before, it was my first time staying in the hotel as a guest. We get an awesome rate with my company at this hotel, so I jumped on top of this. I am not sure how much the rooms cost regularly, but for a short-term stay, I would pay a good deal to stay here mainly due to its central location. This is a great location downtown Charleston. You can walk mostly anywhere you want to go downtown, and the staff at the desk and the door are very good at helping you with directions and transportation. If you drive into town, be aware that the deck where you will park is not attached to the hotel...so although it is a short walk it is a a few doors down...on a busy street...so it may be best to leave your bags at the door before parking, or possibly valet. The elevators are "historic" so there aren't many of them, and they aren't extremely fast, but considering how old the hotel is, it's no surprise. The rooms aren't extremely fancy, but they are clean. Breakfast is tasty, and the desk staff is extremely professional. I thought I left my debit card in my room (ended up locating it in my purse) after checking out, and when I called the hotel to see if it had been located the response was prompt and the man with whom I spoke was genuinely concerned. Relative to the other hotels in the area, it's pricey, but if you have some money to burn and want to stay somewhere historic...it's a good pick. I will say that there are some cheaper options in the area that have the same if not more to offer comfort wise, but you won't get that good ole boy Charleston experience-which has its value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are in a great location! Thank you for recognizing that as well as all of your other wonderful remarks about our hotel. We are doing some work on the elevators starting in December that will improve the efficiency. Also, I am delighted to hear about the great customer service you received when dealing with your missing debit card. We try to go above and beyond for all of our guests. I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Charleston (and hint - if you are looking for a good deal try staying in December and January for great rates).
Lemont, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our daughter chose Charleston for her destination wedding. Most of us stayed at the Francis Marion. This hotel is located in the historic district so if you are looking for modern, sleek,etc. Look elsewhere. The lobby reflects comfortable southern charm. It was a wonderful place to meet with friends as they arrived. Julie the concierge was wonderful. She recommend some outstanding restaurants and made reservations for us. Not only were there many weddings that weekend, but Charleston is home port to a cruise line. When the ship is in, there are 5,000 more people in town. Who knew reservations were so necessary? Julie did. The main desk was helpful and supplied bottle water to shower caps for grandma. Our room was large with a sofa sleeper and a great bed. It was a comfortable as the heavenly bed we have at home. The location of the hotel was within walking distance of everyplace we needed to be. When in Charleston, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. They do have valet parking at the reasonable rate of $19. a day. However, there is a public parking garage right down from the hotel for $14. a day. The only thing to be aware of is the taxis . They don't seem to be regulated. Ask there rates before you hop in.

Room Tip: See if you can look at a floor plan before you book. Some rooms are much larger than others.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Congratulations on your daugther's wedding! Charleston does make a great destination wedding location, and we are delighted that you and your guests chose to stay with us while here. I will pass on your nice comments to Julie. If you ever have questions about the taxis, our bellman will be happy to assist, and if you are going somewhere within the historic district, I would recommend a pedi-cab (the guys on the bikes) or the free shuttle. Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor and we are looking forward to your next stay with us!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had no problems with any of the staff, they were courteous, helpful, etc. Check in was a breeze, when I learned I was booked for 2 doubles there was no problem moving me to a single queen room while keeping my view. The hotel is on the outskirts of the historic district, next to a shady park, and close to some decent shops and restaurants. The bottom line though is at $180, the hotel is just gross. Bubbling paint doesn’t both anyone, nor does questionable dirt smudges on the wall and the list goes on and on…

The hotel is in need of major renovations and the fact that AAA gives them three diamonds and others give 4 stars is abhorrent.

Fine for a cheap night’s sleep – if you’re north of $70 – I’d stay elsewhere even if you pay triple

Room Tip: Frankly put, this is just an old hotel that no one in particular cares to maintain. I had no prob...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We have reviewed your comments on Trip Advisor and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We are truly sorry that your expectations were not met. We are continuously looking at upgrades and additions to keep our historic hotel beautiful. Specifically, I will pass on your comments in regards to the walls and paint to our Engineering Department, so we can improve in that area.
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Francis Marion. We were there for a wedding that happened to coincide with our celebration of our wedding anniversary. The wedding and reception took place in the Colonial Room. What a beautiful venue for this event. Everything was perfect from the elegance of the room to the excellent food that was served. The shrimp and grits were by far the favorite served at the buffet! The staff was very professional and they made sure that plates were cleared in a timely manner once the party started!
We also can not say enough about the good time we had in celebration of our anniversary. Julie, the Concierge, was a great help in giving us suggestions on what to do while in Charleston. She suggested a wonderful restaurant, 82 Queen... on Queen street of course! The food was excellent. Truly a Low country experience right down to the courtyard table reserved for us by Julie! It was a great place to celebrate our anniversary and we were happy that she made the recommendation. She also suggested we take a carriage tour which we really enjoyed. It was a good way for us to learn some of the history of Charleston. Please see Julie while there, she is a gem! All in all we found the Francis Marion to be a wonderful place to stay. The main lobby was gorgeous.The Swamp Fox restaurant in the hotel served an excellent breakfast. Our room was clean. The staff from check-in to check-out were helpful and very friendly. In fact, we plan to go back next year to celebrate our anniversary in Charleston and we will definitely be staying at the Francis Marion.

Room Tip: Try to go for a room upgrade. We stayed in a corner suite and it was quite spacious and had a great...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here as well as the wedding! Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your kind remarks to Julie as well as to the Chef. We look forward to helping you celebrate your anniversary next year.
Home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Our 4 day trip was made all the better by staying at thr Francis Marion. I read the other reviews and expected the worse. But we had a wonderful time with clean, comfortable, spacious rooms. Both the hotel and resturant staff were top notch. The lobby was beautiful, the location was excellent and close to everything. What wasn't close was accessible by a free trolley. As far as one reviewers comments about a "nick" here and there. Well that just adds character to a hotel that is over 80 years old. For a place that has been around since 1924, they are doing something right!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. I am glad that we exceeded what you expected of our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!