“Not to my standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Columbia - University of South Carolina

You added Motel 6 Columbia - University of South Carolina to your Saves list
Motel 6 Columbia - University of South Carolina
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   613 Knox Abbott Drive, Cayce, SC 29033 (Formerly Masters Inn Columbia Knox Abbott)   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Cayce
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not to my standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed here in the fall of 2005, so I realize this review is dated. I remember the hotel was very dingy and dated, but as a college student I wasn't too worried. The rooms had combination locks on them, and when we checked in, the front desk person nearly shouted the room number and combination out to us, instead of writing it down - and there were a bunch of shady people in the lobby (I could imagine them remembering the combination to rob us later). I went back in to get some towels a few hours later, and had noticed the front desk had pulled down what looked like a bullet-proof window with a little slot that the employee had to pass the towels through. My friends and I tried to come up with other things to ask for just to see them try to fit them through the slot....and iron, ironing board, etc. Wasn't horrible but won't stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed here on 4/26/11. I came down from NY to visit my cousin who graduated from BCT in fort jackson. I originally booked a 3 night stay with MOTEL and figured for the price we'd be getting a good deal.

We arrived at 9pm; my son (age 15 months), my goddaughter (4years), my aunt (55years), and myself (24years). The city was hot and humid from what I'm used to and it was a little dreary out (i promise all of this plays a part). We checked in at the window and we requested a room with a frisge & microwave. The guy was nice and did just that. We stayed in room 217...

This room was said to be a non smoking room, but I was a little confused because that's all I smelled. The moment I walked through the door, I knew the next few days was going to be a challenge. With only one thing in mind (seeing my soldier) I tried to stick it out. I got the kids comfortable and let them run around as I sat on the edge of the bed skyping with my fiance. My god daughter asks to use the restroom and i realize the toilet seat is just like the ones used in a public bathroom... no lid, & not a cloed seat. I take a look in the shower and there is dirt and grime around the tub AND walls!!!! The faucet looks like theres some type of mildew on it AND THE SHOWER CURTAIN WAS DIRTY. I had to take a shower with my slippers on! The bathroom was an overall disaster!!!

So now that I've discovered how dreadful the bathroom was, I had to check out the minute the sun rose. When i was giving my son a sponge bath before bed, i went to clean his feet and it was BLACK! I didn't even think it was possible for the bottom of your feet to get black like that!!! The carpet was nasty...

Fortunately my aunt brought her own sheet to put on the bed! The comforter had a hole in it and the pillows were flat... i barely got a minute of sleep the this place. When morning came I felt so icky... The AC in the room blew humid air... The humidity in Comlumbia, sc was already crazy i didnt need the AC doing the same thing! I double checked to make sure the setting was right and it was set on low cool, so i guess the AC had a problem too. This motel is the nastiest thing I've ever come across... If you're traveling with small children--DO NOT GO HERE!!!

There are pro's...

The area isnt great as far as safety is concerned ( i have an app on my phone that tells me the crimes of the neighborhood), but you'll get a variety of stores around here. There's a CVS, gas station, wendys, mcdonalds, subways, and many more stores. It's also a 15 minute drive to the base (traffic included) and its $40 a night. If you dont really care about cleanliness and comfort, this would be a great place for you!!! But if you dont mind spending a few extra bucks, don't sleep here! All of my reviews are honest and strongly DO NOT RECOMMEND this motel! It's dirty and should be shut down by the health department and all other departments affiliated with health!!!

We left this place in the morning and checked into the comfort suite after family day was over! If you wait til family day to try to find a better hotel, you may not be as fortunate cause we reserved the last room available. Remember, there are a lot of other family members there too.

BE WISE, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

P.S. They advertise free wifi... not even worth it... this was the slowest connection ever... you'd have better luck with dial up. It did come in handy for skype though.

Room Tip: I booked with expedia and got the whole package.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed their for three nights in early October. The room looked clean. However, it was NOT. You get what you pay for, plus a bonus: there are huge amount of bed bugs that I got biten for so many times. I got itch at the beginning. But since I never seen bed bugs before I did not realize what the problem was. It was too late when I finally figured out. Dealing with those almost invisible creature became the only theme of my life after coming back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I made the mistake of coming to this hotel because of its convenient location and low rates. What a mistake!!! This hotel was absolutely awful. The manager (James Lee) was extremely rude. There were hundreds of bees everywhere! And to top it off, when I went to ask for a clean towel one evening, they refused to give me one and informed me that people who stay and pay the weekly rate only get towels twice a week (Tuesday & Thursday). One evening there a couple was outside screaming and arguing around 2am. Then at 7am the maintenance man was doing some work outside my room and was extremely loud....so much for a peaceful night of sleep. I was also approached in the parking lot by two guys looking for "weed". Needless to say, I made reservations to move to another hotel down the street for the remainder of my stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Jaquanna, the front desk person I had the misfortune of meeting, lacked professionalism, the ability to communicate effectively and was downright RUDE!!! The maintenance of the facility left so much to be desired. If this weren't real life, it would be comical.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Columbia, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

I'm currently at training in the Army and wanted to bring my wife here to stay near me. I was able to see her after the work day and spend the whole weekend with her.

I chose Masters Inn due to the great weekly rate they offer (just under $200 a week). I figured it's a great deal since you get 60 channels, free wifi, fridge, microwave, it should be sufficient for the wife. Front desk told me since we came in on a Friday we had to pay for 2 nights, then on Sunday we could start to weekly rate. I had to pay a little extra for those two days but I had no choice.

After my wife was checked in and her bags were in the room I had to get back to Fort Jackson. Within 2 hours she texted me and notified me that her room had a couple cockroaches and ants. I was very disturbed and she was too. She also did not get HBO, and the toilet was not fully secured to the ground. The next day I went to the hotel (Saturday) and notified the hotel of the situations and my wife and me went and bought cleaning supplies. Sunday morning she checked into a room that was on the second floor, the first room she was in was on the first floor.

I cleaned the room very good with the supplies we bought (bleach spray, comet). I also bought Riddex Plus from a local CVS to help with the bug situation. My wife has not seen any bugs since we have been in this room. Whether or not that's because we are on the second floor or if they Riddex Plus is working is yet to be seen. The floor was clean, the bed was much better than the bed from the first floor. This room was cleaner and my wife felt better in this room, especially after I cleaned it. My wife did not use the blanket to sleep with as she felt they probably didn't clean them well in this motel. The next week I washed the linen using the laundry room at the hotel. Housekeeping is supposed to come by twice a week for people who stay weekly, but they only came once so far for my wife. They didn't vacuum or anything, only said "what do you need"? They took the old towels from my wife and gave her half of what she gave them of new towels.

This motel fits you get what you pay for. It does help if you clean it yourself with supplies and wash the linen on your own. This works better though if you plan on being an extended stay instead of just a couple nights.

Pros
60 channels of TV
Free WIFI (even works in laundry room)
Multiple door locks
Fridge
Microwave
Cheapest motel in town
Near restaurants, grocery store, etc
Laundry room

Cons
Not all rooms, beds, etc are as good as some
60 channels not present in all rooms
Bathrooms need attention
Housekeeping is lazy, don't do their job
Drawers need replaced
Rooms just need an overall deep clean

My wife will continue to stay here for the time I'm at Fort Jackson. Like I said, you get what you pay for, and I'm paying around $25 a day. Very cheap, but then again you have to buy cleaning supplies and clean everything yourself. I don't mind it since the price is low, but there are things at this place that need to be fixed.

For a a few day stay, I might not recommend this place unless you are hell bent on saving money. For an extended stay I recommend this play.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

We arrived and during check-in I made note of a big bulletin board in the back pasted with wanted posters and faxed photos of "Bail Fugitives". This should have been a tip-off.

Once in the room we notice scratched furniture, even the handle of one of the drawers was hanging, only half attached. We found the bathroom full of lime and rust stains.

The real coup was when the room phone rang the next morning at what we thought was 10 a.m. Unbeknownst to us the time had changed the previous night and a man named James was calling to ask us to check out right away. When I explained the time change had caught us by surprise(there are no clocks in the rooms) and asked for a half hour for us to shower, James said we had to vacate immediately or he would charge us for an extra day, adding that his housekkeping staff was leaving in an hour. Maybe considering the shabby state of the property, keeping the housekkeping staff on for more than an hour after check out might be a good idea.

When we hurried down to check out before hitiing the highway with no showers(probably a blessing really), imagine my surprise when I discovered the James we had spoken to was James Lee, the general manager of the motel. When I told him we were going top have to write this at tripadvisor.com, he was nonplussed and stood by his treatment of us at his property.

If you must travel to this part of West Columbia/Cayce, South Carolina, you would be better off at the slightly pricier Riverside Inn, right down the street.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — rude management, poor customer service, shabbiness
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Motel 6 Columbia - University of South Carolina? Share your experiences!