“Nice atmosphere, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Suffolk, UK
“Nice atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The staff were very friendly and attentive. They brought bread out to us before we had decided that we were going to eat there. We did and the food was really good. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and we had a lovely evening sitting in one of the booths. The ribs and the steak were very tasty and my glass of wine was huge. Would definitely eat here again if in the area. Very reasonable priced too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Columbia,SC
“Great Bar and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The owner only hires the best, all the others are at other places. Food is great, sells lots of takeout as well as dine in. Baked Feta with Shrimp, Under ten bucks for the app. Oysters fried, again liked everything I tried. Owners reaction to picky people is understandable. First, the menu is to big, so the food can't be good. Tell that to the Bellagio in Vegas!!! Obviously, a pain in the Butte', French for (Butt). I'll keep eating here!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warner Robins, Georgia
“Locally known Hidden Gem in Camden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I pulled off I-20 for lunch when I saw the Fatz restaurant sign for the Camden exit and by accident passed by Fatz into Camden and when looking for a place to have lunch saw the Old Armory was close and rated pretty high so I gave it a chance and I'm glad I did! First of all this restaurant has the ambiance of a real English Pub, dark but candle power lit, older very high end tables & chairs, an established place that was PACKED for lunch on a thursday, noon....clearly a local favorite for Camden as the average tourist would not likely find this place. I had the French Dip and a side salad with Greek dresing (came with lots of feta). The French bread was freshly baked and crispy and had alot of meat inside, real quality high end sirloin chopped up but a bit dry. The dip made up for that and the salad finished a great lunch. Would stop there often if I lived there. Try it if you are in town...Oh...service is outsatanding, quick, friendly and welcoming staff.

Columbia, SC
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Having eaten in many restaurants around the country, to say our recent trip to the Old Armory Steakhouse in Camden, SC was a terrible disappointment. While we were greeted in a friendly manner, and seated promptly (on a busy Friday evening), the trouble started with the menu. A menu should never be more than one page, in my opinion (not including a wine page, dessert menu, etc). If the entree page is longer than one page? It is probably not fresh food. That was the case here. We ordered the house salad, which in concept sounded lovely: fresh green, tomatoes, cucumbers, blue cheese crumbles and a house vinaigrette. When it finally appeared at the table (yes, there was a wait, even for a small house salad) it was...small and came with pepto-bismol colored dressing. Very unappetizing. After we picked at our salads, and after about a 25 minute wait, our entrees arrived. I had ordered the salmon (after much trepidation, as the choices offered were a "10 oz size" or "14 oz size". I was assured by the waitress that the salmon was fresh. It was...most definitely not fresh. It reminded me of vacuum-packed fish from Shwann's (or similar), which would explain the portion size selections. It was also so over seasoned that I just sent it back. I couldn't eat it. It should be noted that my husband ordered the shrimp and grits - well, just..don't go there, either. Anyway, our waitress was very accommodating and apologized for the fish. And then....the owner appeared. He was very loud and quite obviously irritated that I did not like the fish. He claimed (loudly) that he tasted my fish and that it was "perfectly seasoned" and that I was the one with the problem (I know, I was immediately transported to a Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmare-esque scene). He further exclaimed that "no one in the entire restaurant, in 6 YEARS, has EVER had a problem with his fish - just me! Just me! But he will "make me feel better by allowing me to order something else." To say I was stunned by this man's treatment of a customer is an understatement. I am not in the habit of sending food back - so for me to do such a thing, the food had to be bad. Well, it was. As was my husband's meal - he took one bite of the so-called shrimp and grits (try wallpaper paste with tan ingredients - not a fresh ingredient or scrap of color in sight) and simply stopped eating. Needless to say, we did not decide to sample anything else on this menu and declined the (rude) offer for a substitute, and just left, never to return. Old Armory - you need some serious work on your customer service skills. And you should not advertise or claim that your fish is fresh when it clearly is not. ~Disgruntled & HUNGRY ex-customer

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Great Meal, Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My very knowledgeable and professional waiter was great and really knew the menu. The food was delicious, the steak was perfectly cooked and the caesar salad crisp and fresh with a wonderful and not overly "sharp" tasting. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and a varied menu of fresh, local ingredients. I have no hesitation recommending the Armory!

• Visited March 2013