“Take some Chicken stew home!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Phone: 864.427.4047
Description: Phone: 864.427.4047
Cross Hill, South Carolina, United States
“Take some Chicken stew home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The food is wonderful, the people are great, and the value is good. We try to visit at least once a month when we go over to visit parents. It is open on Saturday, but closes at 6, so you have to be an early bird. That suits us just fine. My husband likes the BBQ, and I like the hash. I always take a quart of chicken stew home for later. It's a good place to eat.

Visited November 2013

Greenville, South Carolina
“It's Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stopped by while out and about for sightseeing in SC. We had the BBQ plate and the Hash plate. Portions are small. Food just so-so. Not great. The BBQ sauce was to sweet for my liking. The hash was watery and not much flavor. However, the Mac-N-Cheese and sweet potato casserole were very, very good! For being out on a Saturday, afternoon country drive, this place hit the spot. Everyone in the place knows everyone else, except us. But no problem, atmosphere was laid back and easy. Very welcoming.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great BBQ. always a crowd.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Every time I ride by midway BBQ the parking lot is full. The BBQ chicken is amazing. Service is fast and the prices are good.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
sc
“always best service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

they have the best bbq in union county and the owner always greets you with a very friendly smile!! The food is great esspecially the mac and cheese. They corn bread is great too and they always have good tea. They also ACCEPT EBT AND SNAP!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pawleys Island SC
“A Solid Meal at Low Prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Continuing our search for SC's best BBQ, a friend recommended we check out Midway BBQ in Buffalo, SC. During a recent road trip, we decided it was time to detour through Buffalo. Our first reaction was that Midway BBQ must be the world's ultimate "locals" spot. It was quickly obvious we were the only folks in the place who were not on a first-name basis with the counter staff. The friendly young lady who waited on us said that Midway has been in the same location for over 70 years, so you know they have been doing things right for a long time. The sawdust on the floor was also a good indication that their emphasis is on the food and not the decor. I love that priority in a restaurant. In addition to the restaurant, they also have a well-stocked butcher counter, offering everything from t-bone steaks to chicken stew.

I opted for the BBQ plate, while my wife chose the "meat & 3" with chopped bbq chicken. Including sweet tea and desert, our total bill was $14.00, including tax. That, alone, made my day.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her meal, with tender chicken and five-star collards. Mine was less impressive. The baked beans closely resembled doctored up Campbell's Pork & Beans, and the BBQ was not a star. It was drenched in a thick, heavy sauce, reminiscent of Castleberry's in a can, overwhelming the meat rather than complimenting it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how the pork BBQ actually tasted.

Overall, Midway BBQ offers a solid meal at great prices. If I found myself back in Buffalo, I'd be back at Midway, but in my opinion, it's not worth a detour. The search goes on...

• Visited April 2013