“Have Already Planned Our Return Visit” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Have Already Planned Our Return Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Thinking that South Carolina would be warmer than New York City in February, we booked three nights at the Inn over the President's Day three-day weekend. It was definitely warmer, despite the cold front which brought the highs only into the 50s on Saturday and the 40s on Sunday. Even so, we really enjoyed our 3-night stay in Cottage 13 which faces the May River. The cottage was spacious with a gas fireplace, a large dressing area separate from the sleeping area, a beautiful bathroom with a soaking tub and double sinks, and a very comfortable bed. We used the fireplace every night and in the mornings. On Saturday and Sunday, we took long bike rides. Our first ride was along the path that winds through the May River Forest and provides peeks of the golf course and homes (the concierge Pat was very helpful in planning our route). For our second ride, we biked through South Wilson and then proceeded on the hard packed dirt to where the village of Moreland is being constructed. Both are easy rides with minimal inclines.

Our flight from JFK to the Savannah airport arrived around 9 p.m., so we drove into Savannah for dinner at A.Lure (yummy shrimp and grits, homemade potato chips, and fried tomatoes). The Inn is about a 35 minute drive from Savannah. Saturday evening we ate dinner in the bar adjacent to the dining room (oysters to start followed by duck gumbo and then beignets for dessert). On Sunday, we drove to Hilton Head for dinner at the Sunrise Cafe (excellent shrimp and grits). Twice we had breakfast delivered to our room, while the third morning we roused ourselves to go to Buffalo's for breakfast.

Hertz's car rental counter is in the Savannah airport terminal, making the car pick-up and return really easy. We hardly used our car while at the Inn, but it was nice to know it was there. For our drive to the Sunrise Cafe, we borrowed one of the Inn's complimentary Mercedes which was a blast to drive according to my husband.

Overall, we had a terrific time and have planned a return visit in May when the warmer weather will allow for kayaking and sunning by the pool.

Room Tip: Cottage 13 faces the May River and is adjacent to Cottage 11. We did not hear our neighbors in Cott...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
caversham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Really great place and service as had a problem with hire car and they gave us the hotel Mercedes 4x4 for the day complimentary, Pat the concierge moved heaven and earth dealing with Hertz. The individual cottages are great, large lounge with big gas log effect fire large flat screens and even surround sound views are over the water. Golf buggies pick you up for any meal or bikes are provided if you want. Great fun great service would recommend to anyone surprised with complimentary bottle of Pinot noir one of the best stays we have had anywhere in the world

Room Tip: Had cottage 21 excellent
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2015

It is tough to review this hotel because, although it is nice, it also costs $570 a night, so how nice is 570 dollars? I don't feel it was worth it, unfortunately.

Palmetto Bluffs currently has 43 cottages that it uses for rooms rentals (most of which are duplexes), but it is building many more plus a 70 room hotel on the property. Note, this construction does begin at 7am. The resort is located on a very large peninsula, about 20K acres, which is actually a huge real estate development still in the works. Apparently, it has been open about 10 years and the construction/building is just going to keep going until it caps. I had hoped for a secluded southern marshland, but you can't really find much real solitude as homes are being constructed everything (I explored most the peninsula... though not all!). I would recommend checking out the area by the stable area (far) if you desire this because it appeared to have the least development surrounding it, though the front desk staff did not recommend this to me and I rode around houses instead. Just don't expect a secluded forest bike ride just off the lodge, as pictured on the website (my main reason for going). It is not a little resort but rather a village with shops, homes, & car access (everywhere except the cottage area). You will have a complimentary bike, but be careful at night as most people rent a golf cart and buzz around.

In November, the restaurant and the main lodge were empty, despite that there were guests in most of the cottages. Everyone addresses you by name and service is quite phenomenal. Of note, somewhere it does say tipping for all staff (except food) is included in your fee. I did tip, not knowing, and they didn't turn it down, or course. Dinner at the Canoe Club was superb, the server was exceptional, and I recommend you sit on the balcony on the top floor. Drinks in the lodge bar was also enjoyable. I do highly recommend smores at the fire pit because, well, they are lakeside smores!

The cottages are fairly close together. For example, you can easily hear guests at the other cottages talking if they are outside or on the porch as the sound travels. I could not, however, hear noise coming through the wall to the neighboring guests. Inside the cottage you'll have a sublime experience. Everything is marble, stunning wood floors, perfect fireplace, huge soaker tub, steam shower, cozy porch, beautiful furniture, plantation shutters plus fabulous turndown service (peach cookies & mint water) and welcome wine and roasted nuts.

I did have a few annoyances during my stay. First, I had difficulties locking the door to the porch and had to call for assistance at night. I never did figure it out, despite directions in the room, and left it unlocked most the time. The TV was a bit hard to run, but it does have everything imaginable so sometimes that is the case. I could not get into the stable for a ride, despite calling weeks prior. They only offer rides a couple times a day, it is indepedent from the resort, and be aware that you do have to drive to it. Finally, I went on a tour from 11:00 - 11:45 (nature boat tour - awesome) and left my packed luggage in the room to grab after the tour. When I went to get it at 11:55 (check-out at noon), 3 housekeeping staff were already inside the cottage and cleaning my room. I did not formally check out yet so I don't understand why they would just go in. They apologized several times and offered to leave, but in all my travels around the world I have never experienced this before! At these prices, I was astonished that they were actually trying to push me out. It is something management really should address.

I would recommend this resort to honeymooners, golfers, possibly spa people (I did not go but heard it is award winning), and those with children who still enjoy luxury... all keeping in mind that it is mostly a place to relax with a big pricetag.

Room Tip: Get one one of the few individual cottages (not a duplex).
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2015

just spent a few days over the New Years holiday at the Inn at Palmetto bluff. WOW! what a great place! the property is absolutely charming. the grounds are immaculate and the views are spectacular. Then the service. 5 star! We were immediately greeted by Nate who showed us to our cottage and gave us an introduction to the property. He was so pleasant, helpful, and accommodating. Truly a gem! What a great first impression he makes on guests! they are lucky to have him working there. Everyone from the staff we encountered was pleasant and helpful. The restaurants on property were delicious and easy to get reservations. We were able to rent one of their loaner vehicles and the concierge Kaitlyn gave us some great suggestions of places to see and go to in the nearby area. all in all, this place is fantastic and the people who work there make it an even better experience. Would be remiss not to mention the delicious s'mores set up they provide every evening at the main house.

Room Tip: The cottages on the river are beautiful
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Gainesville , Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015 via mobile

stayed here for two nights and just loved it
The cottages were beautifully decorated very spacious
Restaurant sat over the May River nice selection of dining options
Spent one afternoon at the Spa which was very relaxing would love to come back

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

Hopefully Montage management reviews these comments because 2 employees deserve standout recognition - Dave Smiley (front desk) and Nate (host outside). Both of these guys were professional and treat the operation of this property like it is serious business.

There were a few minor issues when Nate walked us through the room (surround sound not functioning and eucalyptus for steam shower missing) which resulted in him calling the front desk immediately with a list. Within 10 minutes, different facility employees arrived to correct these issues. Every time we saw Nate during the stay he remembered our names, was always courteous and accommodating.

This place is exceptional to take a family. Many activities. S'mores at the fire pit every night. Beautiful views.

• Stayed January 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2014

Not much has changed to the cottages but the do have some maintenance to ... from my perspective. We go to Palmetto Bluff for the quiet relaxation - get up early and watch the sunrise over the May River, have a glass of wine and watch the waterfowl come into perch, read a book, take a walk, ride your bike ... that's my kind of relaxation. Unfortunately, they are now expanding with a hotel (where the Spa was) and expanding the property for homesites where the Moreland area is (was?). Great, I suppose. Progress is always good - for someone.

But in the meantime, Mr Montage, please retain the standards of the old Palmetto Bluff. Consider touring the rooms from time to time to see that the shutters aren't broken (as was ours in Cottage 11) or the toilet worked properly, or the bikes didn't look & work like hand-me-down relics.

I'll still return, the place is just too special - which is exactly why the standards must be retained.

BTW, there is a young lady, Morgan, who was just filling in as the concierge but did an exceptional job in all respects.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
PalmettoBluff, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at Palmetto Bluff, A Montage Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2015
Doug b,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor, for recognizing Morgan and for your continued patronage. I would like to personally apologize that your cottage was not in optimal condition for your arrival. We appreciate your feedback regarding the cottages and have addressed the issues you brought to light. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the bicycles and are pleased to let you know that we are updating the entire fleet of bikes this year. I assure you that as we move forward with the expansion of the property it will only add greater amenities and service to this incredible destination. We look forward to welcoming you back and continuing to be a special place for you.
David Smiley

Been to Inn at Palmetto Bluff, A Montage Resort? Share your experiences!