“No response to a reservation request -- twice.” 2 of 5 stars

Exclusive Rates for Fall
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersGold level
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
“No response to a reservation request -- twice.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I wanted to dine at the Palmetto Bluff Inn on Dec 24th for our 34th wedding anniversary. Knowing it was a busy time for Palmetto Bluff, I called 10 days in advance. A polite woman named Elaine told me she could not take a reservation at that time, but promised me that her manager would call me or email me within a day or two. I waited three days, heard nothing, called again, and left a voice message, repeating my phone number and requesting a call about a dinner reservation. I waited another three days, called again, and hung up on the automated phone attendant. Then I made other plans for our anniversary.

As locals, we have enjoyed several meals at Buffaloes, but wanted to dine at the Inn for our special occasion. If my experience is indicative of the service provided at this restaurant, I'm glad we went elsewhere. Give Sublime Prime Steak House and Wine Bar in historic Bluffton a try. We did and we were not disappointed. Quality food, nice ambience, class service, fair prices.

Room Tip: We did not stay there. We just wanted to dine at the Inn.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PalmettoBluff, General Manager at Inn at Palmetto Bluff, A Montage Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Deb W.,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our service on TripAdvisor. It is feedback like yours that makes us aware of our opportunities and helps us to continually improve our levels of service.

I was extremely disappointed to learn that we failed to return your repeated calls for dinner reservations. I hope you know that this is not at all in keeping with the high standard of product and service we strive to provide here at Palmetto Bluff. I want to extend my sincere apologies for this experience and the inconvenience it created for you.

Deb W., our Director of Food and Beverage, Jeremy Walton, will be reaching out to you to discuss the situation further. Our guests and potential guests are all very important to us. We hope to have the opportunity to win you over once again.

Marty Wall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was our 2nd time at the Inn and just really love staying at this place. Cottages are beautiful and the shower area with steam bath is so unique. Loved being able to hop on our bikes to ride around.

The only issue was the hot water would not stay hot very long but the staff took care of that promptly. But had a cold shower one morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the river view vs the lagoon
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bentonville, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This place is so quiet, you cant help but relax. The cottages are fantastic! And the shower? One of the top three showers I have ever experienced! A great time for couples, although families might find this place too remote and too quiet for kids.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Absolutely LOVED everything about Palmetto Bluff...It was the perfect get away for me and my husband to find some peace and quiet in an beautiful romantic setting. The staff could not be nicer, service outstanding, the rooms are stunning and all in peaceful surroundings. The food and wine were fantastic. We can't wait to go back and take our kids with us. Whether its for a romantic or family trip, this is the place to go!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is by far the biggest gem of the Low Country of SC. The place is so overwhelming and beautiful and the service so extraordinary - I felt like I was Jim Carey in the Truman Show with everyone watching and attending to my every need. The food is five star as well as the wine and all the service. Incredible sunrises over the marsh and May River.

Room Tip: Go for the Marsh view rooms overlooking the river. It will be well worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We've been to Blackberry Farm, Sea Island and several other high end resorts but never thought to visit Palmetto Bluff until Music to your Mouth. Boy were we surprised. The grounds are beautiful, cottage rooms were beyond my expectations and all the staff we encountered were spectacular.

We stayed in cottage 47 which was a bit out of the way, but quickly got into the spirit of the place as we rode bicycles everywhere. Most folks rode there beach cruisers around the property even late into the night. It's actually fun and made you feel you were back in time when the pace of life was slower. The only reason I do not give the Inn an excellent rating were problems with our hot water heater and a faulty wire on the gas fireplace ignition. The Inn @PB rightfully deserves its place on the best hotels of North America list, and I for one am already planning our next trip.

Don't miss the biscuit bar and lunch at Buffalo's. It is a great southern spread with very friendly and helpful waitstaff.

Room Tip: Stay in a cottage if you can. Those that overlook the river provide wonderful views to relax with a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just the drive on to the property lowers your blood pressure and starts to unwind all those tense and tired muscles. A gracious step back into true Southern Hospitality. Where you are treated as family with all the warmth and charm of a gracious smile. If you want a place to truly relax, this is it. In all our travels, never have we found a place quite like it. They have 2 bikes at every cottage and you can also rent a golf cart to wheel around the place. The grounds are extensive and well maintained. They offer 2 pools, one adult and one family. We always choose the family because we love the sounds of all the families playing. We do not play golf but my husband has tried the paddle boarding and he loved it. You can canoe or kayak or fish or crab. The Canoe Club restaurant is our favorite place to dine but the River House is nice also. In the summer you can dine casually on the porch of the River House. What a wonderful place for a romantic getaway OR a family vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a Cottage Suite facing the river. It has a seperate living room with a gas fireplace and co...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Inn at Palmetto Bluff, A Montage Resort? Share your experiences!