“Good gullah!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Hampton, Virginia
“Good gullah!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband, son and I went to the Kinfolk Gullah Grub Restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner - the food was good and even my son (who can be picky) enjoyed it. I ordered the Low Country Boil and there was so much of it, I had to take it home. They brought a tasty sample of the shrimp and grits to try (it was excellent) as well as individual small skillets of some sweet, warm cornbread. My husband raved about the food and we are looking forward to going back again. It is a bit off the beaten path and took us a little bit to locate it, but it was so worth it. The wait staff were especially attentive and knew the menu well!

• Visited August 2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Quite a cultural experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We wanted to try some local food and this place was quite hard to find - it is set back in a strip mall behind another strip mall. We were the only people in the restaurant at 6:30 pm which was a little concerning for me (where was everyone) but we decided to brave it. Good choice. The 2 waitresses were sisters and daughters of the cook/owner. Our server brought out complimentary fried grits with shrimp and brown gravy - delicious (a little like fried mush we had when I was younger) followed by cornbread in individual little cast iron skillets. She helped us decide what to order - even cobbling together a meal my picky 7 year old liked - she had a chicken leg with white rice, sliced cucumbers and sweet potato casserole (which she didn't like - but I sure did!) Daughter #1 had the gumbo over white rice (jambalaya), daughter #2 had a salad with chicken on it and a side of mashed potatoes (odd combination but she loved it). I had a blackened fish (didn't catch the type - but it was fresh and flavorful) with rice, collard greens (first time - not sure about them....) and squash sauteed in bacon. It was a huge meal with lots of food and the total cost was just over $30. I couldn't believe it - It is not a place to go for a formal meal, but a very comfortable restaurant to just hang out at. The tv was blaring up at the bar (usually annoys me! but the olympics were on and it was fun to watch).

I would highly recommend getting off Hilton Head Island and trying something new!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Staunton, Virginia
“GREAT FOOD!! GREAT GULLAH HOSPITALITY!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Words can not express our Great dinner and evening of fun at Kinfolk Gullah Grub and Seafood!!
We were a little late getting in, but we were not rushed and we were treated as if we had stopped in to visit family memebers! The food was Delicious, the fried grits and gravy were out of this world! we had never had fried grits, being from Va. but we will again next year Good Lord Willing!! we will be back again! The mac & cheese, was to write home about!! and the Sweet tea! would make Ms. Paula Dean happy!! The smothered chicken and gullah rice was enough to make this evening a night to remember! our son had the Low Country Boil and he had to ask for a take home plate! that says a lot for a 19 year old college student who can eat us out of house and home!!
Our servers were wonderful and very attentive and gracious. We very much enjoyed meeting the proprietors, Mr & Mrs Green, they are Great people. We enjoyed talking to Ms. Gwen Green after we had finished our meal and we felt like we were, again, talking to a family member or long time friend!
We would suggest this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a Real taste of Southern Gullah Hospitality and Gullah food!
Oh yes, and Don't forget the Hot Corn Bread!! smothered in butter!!!! yum!!, yum!!
"De nex time we in de place, A da tell ya dis, mesef ,,oona gwine see me gin!!
Thanks! Gwen for a great eveing!! of food and fellowship!!

• Visited June 2012
South Carolina
“absolutely awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We read the reviews and decided to give it a try. Arrived a little after 11am on Saturday (opened at 10). No other patrons on arrival. Should have been the red flag. The server was half asleep (said she was up all night, did not know she had to work). Ok, so we ordered the Gullah Platter as it had variety (sm $15, lg $22). Almost an hour later (mind you we are still the only people in the restaurant) we were served the most disgusting food ever. Could taste the dirt in the greens, full of stems. Oil dripping from fish. Shrimp so small, we honestly don't know where it came from. We each took a few bites, looked at each other and said "no way we are eating this". This is the first time we have ever left a restaurant with a full plate of food still on the table. Server advised no manager available. We paid the bill, left no tip, then went to another restaurant to eat. ABSOLUTELY WILL NEVER RETURN. But I'm sure their doors will close soon.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“A hidden jewel of mouthwatering food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This restaurant was definitely
worth the drive off the beaten travel path of I-95.
Why fight overcrowded chain restaurants when you can take a drive to a hidden strip mall location to food that rivals Mama's?
Delicious homemade meatloaf with tasty gravy, I wanted to lick the plate. My husband had blackened tilapia with red rice and greens. Low country cuisine, perfection on a plate. The cornbread was reduced to crumbs. Not to be outdone our server brought us just a smidgen of 3 desserts to taste. Hot from the oven the aroma of sweet spices hit my nose 6 feet away, Sweet potato pone bread pudding and sweet potato bread- any one would be a winner but the irresistable trifecta put me over the edge to true gluttony!
We ordered a banana pudding to go!
We are definitely putting Bluffton and Kinfolks on our List of stops when traveling down to Florida. I highly recommend this restaurant for a delicious meal while visiting the Hilton Head Bluffton Area. Only a short 15 min hop off I-95. A little tricky to find due to the area's signage laws so call for directions or use a GPS, but definitely worth the trip.