“Southern Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arvada, Colorado
“Southern Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This tour is unlike any other, and I am so glad I included it in my vacation plans. A descendent of the original owner gave the tour and the current owner was present to meet with us. Both ladies were very informative and gracious. We were offered wine prior to the tour and invited to take the wine with us as we went from room to room. We were encouraged to sit anywhere we would like in each of the rooms. Tea was a delightful variety of sweet and savory. When the tour was complete I was invited to enjoy the grounds and rest in one of the porch rockers as long as I liked. This is a beautifully restored mansion, and I am grateful to the current owners for their care of this historical site.

Visited July 2013

Gainesville, Florida
16 attraction reviews
“A real gem, must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

For those of you who are into history, art, and/or architecture this is a must. For those of you who aren't, you should still do this (there are wonderful refreshments served at the end). We were driving through Bluffington, on our way to Savannah, and on a whim decided to check out what other people had to say about Bluffington. I am so glad I came here. It was amazing and absolutely fabulous. Rose Hill Mansion is a museum and a home. The current homeowners live on site and the lady of the house came out and talked to my group, telling us about the history of the mansion and how she and her husband came about restoring and rebuilding it. The tour guide, Cynthia, was absolutely wonderful. She's a great story teller, intimately knowledgeable about the house and its prior owners, a treasure trove of history, and much more interesting and entertaining than an history book.
The charge for the tour was $25 per adult and $5 for a child. During the tour we were able to touch the items, sit on the sofas and couches, take as many pictures as we wanted to, etc. The whole amazing experience was topped of by wonderful refreshments (cakes, crackers, chips and dips, light croissant sandwiches, iced teas, etc) and an informative question and answer session. Some of us in the group wandered off and avidly snapped photos. I didn't feel like a paying guest of the mansion, but rather an acquaintance who has been privileged enough to see this beautiful living piece of history.
This mansion stands as testimony of the pride and endurance of all its previous owners and the love of the current home owners for each other, place, and history.

Visited July 2013
Leesburg, Ohio
“Rose Hill revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I last visited Rosé Hill plantation 38 years ago. My parents were good friends of the Sturgeons and they were guests many times. I have been to Hilton Head on vacation a couple of times and each time I would inquire about it. I was never able to see it, as it was in disrepair after a devastating fire and was undergoing a massive restoration. I was thrilled to discover the restoration has been completed and tours are being offered. The house looks very different from when I last visited, but is beautifully furnished. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and entertaining. It was a very relaxing, informal tour. A glass of wine was offered at the beginning of the tour, which we could carry from room to room. Delicious refreshments were offered in the dining room following the tour, which included peach tea and peach cobbler. It was a wonderful tour and I would highly recommend it!

Visited June 2013
Morristown
6 attraction reviews
“Take the tour even if you don't stay there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were looking for a plantation to see in the Hilton Head area and I searched the Internet and found this site. The tour started with a glass of wine ($5 and optional). We were led through the tour with a great granddaughter of one of the owners. If you are looking for an restored estate with amazing history and furnishings--this is the place. If you are looking for a plantation home with genuine family furnishings from the owners, you will be disappointedly; but we were in no way disappointed with this tour. We were told to sit down anywhere. To explore as long as we wanted on our own. The front bathroom furnishings were amazing! I would recommend this tour to any and all adults. I would not recommend this for children because everything is out in the open to touch.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Attended a wedding here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Large, beautiful property. The owners are friendly and answer questions but did not pester. A beautiful piece of history that the current owners have managed to display immaculately. They have a little shop in the back and some old newspaper articles on the mansion.

Visited May 2013