“Prettiest course I've played on” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Excellent golf course that rolls from an open pasture to dense forests, to marsh,wetlands and spectacular views of the intra-coastal waterway.
Delaware
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Prettiest course I've played on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Four of us played nine holes here. There was a lot of water but it was still a playable course for the three novices in our group. We played on a hot afternoon so speed of play was not an issue.

Visited July 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Unreasonable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had an unpleasant experience at this course recently.

I should hasten to say that we understand that golf courses suffer when play is too slow and reasonable expectations of speed of play are desirable for everyone. We felt, however, that the expectations at this course were anything but reasonable, and our treatment on the course precluded any enjoyment we might have had from a round of golf in this beautiful setting.

We were a foursome that included a couple of inexperienced players, and we did take too long on the front nine. We switched to best ball on the back nine and were playing bogey golf. We also caught up to the twosome in front of us a couple of times and waited a couple of minutes. In spite of our increased speed, a ranger was constantly with us and watching with a stop watch in his hand.

We told him what we were doing and that it seemed reasonable that 4 players should be able to hit the ball, find the best ball (picking up every other ball) and hit again. He seemed to agree but said that was fine as long as it was "bang, bang, bang." Still...he was constantly there. We virtually quit playing half way through. There was no suggestion that we might let groups behind us play through, which we were more than willing to do, and so offered.

I suppose that there are many who would consider us unreasonable, but my advice to high handicap golfers is to avoid this course. Many have said that it's a bargain, and by Hilton Head area standards, that's true. However....it isn't small change, really, and to be harassed off the course after what might be considered a pretty good investment seems a bit much.

For what it's worth, I had a good conversation with the pro in the shop afterwards. It was a very civil on both sides and he promised to "address the problem." That, I think, is as far as that might go.

As I said, a gorgeous place well maintained, but not for average folks, evidently.

Cincinnati
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Course, Better Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Played Old South for the first time last week and really enjoyed the layout. Great views of the lowcountry too. Course was in very good shape even though the greens had just been aerated.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Don't miss this course”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Old South is a golf course that is both playable and challenging. Whether you are a single
digit handicap or someone who just delights in playing beautiful courses, this meets all
criteria. The holes are different and memorable and the design allows shots to be shaped
left to right and right to left. Above all comments I could make, nothing will say it better
then my wish that I lived closer so that I could play here regularly.

Calhoun, Georgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Good Price....Great View...Good for all golf levels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

One of our favorite courses in the Hilton Head area. It definitely has a low country feel. Several holes are absolutely beautiful, situated in marshland. Well worth the drive off of the island...it is better than many courses on the island...and much cheaper. Staff is always professional. Dining available also.

Visited July 2011