“Very good food at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

843-379-0052
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Breakwater Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 141 Restaurants in Beaufort
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Port Republic
Description: Chef Lang and Chef Shaw's version of 'New Southern Cuisine' contains the past, present, and future all at once. Younger, lighter, and fresher than traditional Southern 'Old School' deep-fried fare while acknowledging culinary influences from the world beyond. The bar at Breakwater exudes a lively energy with locals and travelers alike. The atmosphere is fun and friendly and warm Southern hospitality is a signature of the restaurant. Now Open and Accepting Reservations!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good food at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We came across the Breakwater restaurant by chance. It was mid-week in mid-December but this restaurant was packed and we were very hungry. We were delighted when they found us a table.

The Breakwater did not disappoint. The food, whilst not fine dining, was delicious and the prices reasonable. For example, my son's burger was extremely tasty and half the price he was charged in Savannah the following night. Our waitress, though clearly fairly new to this line of work, was courteous and helpful.

Very happy to recommend this restaurant. It is well worth a visit.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Beaufort, SC
“Best fine dining in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Love Breakwater! Wonderful food, great staff and service. Perfect for a romantic dinner, or eating at the bar with friends. Favorite Beaufort restaurant ever.

Visited December 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Went here twice and had two unique experiences. The first time I sat in the bar/lounge area - lots of action, lots of energy. The room is "tight" and sets a nice social tone. The ambiance feels a bit like a new york social spot

The second time I sat in the dining room. This area is modestly appointed and a bit family oriented. Overall the food is good and some dishes a bit creative. Overall I have the place 4 stars.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Nice food in cozy and stylish surroundings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Small portions but well prepared and presented. Very friendly wait staff and bar tender.
Parking is adequate but hard to find if the restaurant is busy, which it often is and reservation are a must unless you like to wait in the bar area which is very nice by itself. A good selection of meat and seafood dishes as well as many appetizers to choose from. In fact, we have made a meal of just selections from the appetizer menu. Nice selection of wine to accompany the meal and for after dinner relaxing. For the number of guests they can accommodate, it's reasonably quite and easy to enjoy a conversation with friends. Great place to meet family or friends, but always remember its a good idea to have reservations!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gatlinburg, TN
“The New Breakwater Needs Some Refinement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Recently on a trip to Beaufort, SC, my wife and I wanted to treat a friend to a nice dinner. We asked around and several people recommended the Breakwater as an upscale place to dine in Beaufort. When we arrived we were promptly greeted and seated by the hostess who was wearing a rather strong perfume. The waitress soon arrived with our menus (She was wearing so much perfume we could hardly breathe!) I am very allergic to some perfumes and my wife asked if I had my allergy medication with me, which I had forgotten. (My bad!)

Our drink order came. I had ordered a cabernet which arrived in a large glass which had a sip of wine to taste and was accompanied with a small carafe which looked impressive. I tasted the wine and it was very good (The waitress did not wait to see if I liked the wine.) so I poured the carafe into my glass. Almost simultaneously my wife and our friend said, Is that all you get? I was very surprised at how small the serving was. Meanwhile I was trying to cope with a full blown allergy attack from the waitresses perfume.

Our meal soon arrived and everything looked to be very good. I started with the calamari and my wife had the fried oysters. The calamari was cooked perfectly but it was covered with a red chili sauce that was very spicy and highly over salted. My wife's oysters were coated with a very thick breading and were also over salted. Our friend was enjoying her salad which she said was very good.

My wife asked me if I wanted to leave. I wanted to at least try the my main course, the triple tail fish. The fish promptly arrived and it looked great. I was soon very disappointed with the same over salted taste.

I know that I should have complained but as bad as I was feeling I just wanted to go home and take my allergy pill.

We do not plan to go back and would not recommend the restaurant.

• Visited November 2012