“So good, we returned within a week!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
simsbury ct
“So good, we returned within a week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We travel frequently and I always refer to Tripadvisor for the best advice on sights, restaurants, hotels. Old Bull Tavern was rated #1 and deservedly so, the four of us thought our meals were fabulous. We returned a few nights later and had a repeat of a terrific experience...the prices are very reasonable too. The exterior decor doesn't do justice to the culinary treat that's inside. The saying "you can't judge a book by its cover" applies here!

Visited March 2014
marshalljohn1, Owner at The Old Bull Tavern, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
mtnestr,
Thank you very much for your kind review. It says a lot that you returned for a second meal while you were visiting beautiful Beaufort. We hope you will stop by and visit with us again the time you are in town.
Best regards,

Asheville, North Carolina
“Terrific food and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I have long been a fan of Beaufort as a destination for short vacations (up to a week is all I have done thus far) due to the charm and beauty of the place and the sense of being in a place that is still real and not entirely reconstructed for tourist consumption.

I hadn't been back for a couple years so tonight I had a chance to sample a relatively new restaurant right in the center of the historic town. The Old Bull should go on your "not to be missed" list if you are anywhere near Beaufort.

The single room is not large but has a seating area in the front where large groups socialize around drinks mostly. Also in the front is a high community table where if you are a small group (there were three of us) you can sit with others and either interact or not as you wish. It should be noted that OBT is a pretty loud place filled with people having fun.

The remainder of the room is a long bar on the right hand side and tables to the back of the house. Seating is limited so reservations are in order.

The food is different pretty much daily but has something for everyone. I had an outstanding duck breast with roasted root vegetables. The combination of a tiny amount of crispy skin on the lucious medium rare duck was perfect. The meat was not over sauced either and the carrots and parsnips were perfectly roasted.

I had started with the Winemaker's salad. This dish is also perfectly structured with very fresh greens, a smattering of salty strips of salami, grapes and assorted other treasures very lightly dressed in a delicious vinaigrette. Be prepared for a big dish if you order this. I finished it but seriously wondered if I had eaten so much I would cheat myself out of enjoying the duck. This, in the end, was not a problem.

John Marshall, the gregarious charming owner/chef came by and joined us for a chat about our lives and shared experiences which just made the whole evening even better. The feel is that you have wandered into something more like a private club that only the locals frequent. Everyone seemed to know each other.

The gorgonzola papardelle was superb although very rich with the creamy cheese sauce and generous slices of portabella mushrooms on top. Equally delicious was the gnocchi. I lusted after a lamb shank I saw appear and several of the adjacent tables.

Do not, under any circumstances, miss this place. If you are in Savannah, make the short drive to Beaufort and treat yourself to a quiet day in a gorgeous setting and then finish with a meal you will not soon forget at The Old Bull.

pyrprshr,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and positive review of our gastropub. What I particularly value is you encouraging others to visit our beautiful little town. Like yourself, I consider it just too charming not to share. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you make it down form Asheville.
John Marshall and the staff at The Old Bull Tavern
“Best value in Beaufort County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My family (2 adults, 3 kids) thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to this hidden gem. Excellent food & drinks with outstanding service. The tomato dill bisque and duck breast were particularly good. My wife loved the burger, and the fettuccine bolognese was a hit with the kids. Servings were just the right size, and prices were very reasonable (puts most Hilton Head restaurants to shame!). The beer and wine selection was impressive. This meal was worth the 2 hour round trip, and we will be back.

Bdabye,
What a huge compliment to be called "Best value in Beaufort County"! We do strive to keep our prices reasonable in hopes that will allow guests to consider us a place they can enjoy regularly. We look forward to serving you and your family again soon.
Rochester, NY
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Old Bull is a gem. Excellent food. Inventive menu. Wonderful staff. Varied and thoughtful wine list.

We enjoyed our meal and truly appreciated the service. Our server, Mandy, was so attentive and caring. She truly did care.

The place is a bit noisy but with the sound of people enjoying their beaks and the ambiance. This is must-experience restaurant. Bravo!

marshalljohn1, Owner at The Old Bull Tavern, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
tpmedia,
Thanks for the great post, glad you found our place to be "superb".
I'll pass along a "bravo" to Mandy and the rest of the staff.
Best,
John Marshall
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Great new place in Beaufort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went last night to try the Old Bull tavern without a reservation. They were very gracious and offered us a comfortable seat at the bar, as there were no tables. We were delighted to be served by one of the owners (the other is the chef). The house wines were especially good. The tapenade and salad were delicious starters, and our main courses, lamb shank and mixed grill were equally good. The bill was extremely reasonable for the dinner, and we are looking forward to returning very soon-this time with a reservation!

Kathy K,
Thanks for the nice post, glad we could find a spot for you at the bar.
Hope you've found your way back in since. We love our Beaufortonians.
John Marshall and the staff of The Old Bull Tavern