“Badly-Needed Metropolitan Burger Joint” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 141 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Fat Patties is a Hand Crafted American Burger Joint. We offer our creative burger concoctions with the option of 5 different patties: Grass Feed Beef, ½ n 1/2(Ground Beef and Ground Bacon), Wild American Shrimp, Turkey, or a Vegetarian Black Bean Pattie served on our homemade buttery buns. Our Brats are simmered in American Ale and topped with the same extravagant toppings as our Burgers. We also make our own Ice Cream with unique flavors like Bacon Maple, White Chocolate Cayenne as well as traditional flavors. We can’t wait for you to try it!
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
“Badly-Needed Metropolitan Burger Joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

If there's one thing the Beaufort area needed, it was a burger joint. Fat Patties not only services this need but blew my expectations out of the water on my first visit. Walking in, we were warmly greeted by the staff. I was immediately drawn to the decor - modern decor, metallic and industrial while still maintaining an inviting appearance. The seating was spaced out nicely so that, unlike many of Beaufort's downtown establishments, you're not dining with your elbows inches from your neighbor. The menu was pleasantly overwhelming. I found myself staring at a multitude of delicious options, such as a burger topped with cole slaw and pulled pork, or marinara and mozzarella cheese, and even one topped with fresh potato chips. One drew my attention - fresh guacamole, goat cheese, and fresh jalepenos. While waiting for the food, no sooner did my glass empty than it was deftly whisked away and replaced with another full glass. Most impressive was that, despite how busy they were, not once did the waitress have to be reminded what I was drinking. Finally, the food arrived, and I was greeted by my medium-cooked burger on freshly baked bun. Slathered on top was what appeared to be a whole avocado's worth the guacamole, freshly prepared with large chunks of avocado intact, giving the burger additional texture and flavor. The goat cheese was also generously applied, adding a creamy sweetness to balance out the sharp flavor of the fresh jalepenos. The fries were particularly impressive. I tasted them to find a much more complex flavors than just sea salt. Upon closer inspection, I was surprised to find that on the fries were bits of herbs like basil and rosemary. Another pleasant surprise was the offerance of spiced ketchup (flavored, not spicy at all) and sweet and spicy mustard in addition to regular ketchup. Overall, the meal was fantastic and I can't wait to return to try more things off the wide and varied menu.

Beaufort, South Carolina
“Great burger, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My fiancee and I tried out Fat Patties last night after an aborted attempt last week due to long wait times. The restaurant has definitely made a splash in Beaufort and after sampling it for dinner, we can certainly understand the hype.

We were told a 40 minute wait this time around but were seated after about 25-30 minutes. Larger parties had longer waits. They do have an outdoor wait area where you can have a beer and relax before being seated. The beer selection at the bar was very extensive, so if you're a fan of craft beers, you'll feel right at home. The overall ambiance of the place is great; the owner spent months renovating a former residence and gave it exposed ceilings and a relatively open floor plan.

The menu is relatively simple. Wide beer selection, a few appetizers, gourmet burgers, bratwursts, and a handful of other items. One nice thing is that burgers are offered either as beef, pork, shrimp, or black bean. We of course chose beef. We started out by having a brie and jelly appetizer - just mediocre in my opinion. However, we didn't want to stuff ourselves before getting our burgers. The burgers came out relatively quickly (especially considering the packed capacity of the restaurant). I had a bleu cheese burger with carmelized onions, lettuce, and tomato; my bride-to-be had the verde burger. Both were cooked perfectly, seasoned appropriately, and reasonably sized (not as big as I expected, but more than enough to satisfy). Complimented with delicious sea-salt fries, it was an outstanding meals.

There were a few drawbacks. Parking is an absolute nightmare in this very small location. If you are coming with a larger group, please be sure to carpool! The server was good and friendly, though both of us added toppings that were not delivered with our food (could be a kitchen error as well). However, both of these drawbacks could certainly be attributed to the newness of the restaurant and do not do enough to dampen the overall experience.

But beyond that, there was very little to complain about, and we went home happy. We will certainly be back, but hopefully with a smaller wait and easier parking!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Great Burgers and super great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We drove in the parking lot and they were busy, so we went to the store and came back by at 10:00 til 10:00 thinking we couldn't order because it was so close to closing.The girl at the door when we walked in was so bright and cheerful. She said "Of course you have time". She got us a menu and asked where we would like to sit. We went outside where there were still several tables full. Our Server, Harley, was, without question one of the best server's we have seen. She wasn't worried about how late it was. The burger I ordered was the "over easy" withj a fired egg on the burger. I was wonderful. All these different flavors in a homemade bun! they make everything homemade! We will definitely be back!

“Great new place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The service was excellent and the food was very tasty...
Black bean burger was not dry, fries were great. The Boot burger was excellent. Grass fed beef..
Home made ice cream, burnt marshmallow was outstanding!
Clean, well located. We will be back!

Located at 831 Parris Island Gateway, 1/2 a mile from Parris Island...

Sebastian, Florida
“Stick with the Burgers and fries”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

One of the five chose the grilled cheese described as " 4 cheeses, strawberry jam and home made BBQ potato chips". What arriived was two very thick non-grilled pieces of bread, no strawberry jam and a strong flavor of cream cheese only. The chips were stuck together and the middles were soggy with grease. The burgers were described as good and the fries okay if you liked rosemary. The ice cream is made on site and the flavors inventive ie:" bacon and pancake and PBJ' . A fun adventure

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere