“Right on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hunting Island State Park Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaufort
Hunting Island State Park Campground
You added Hunting Island State Park Campground to your Saves list
2555 Sea Island Parkway, Beaufort, SC   |
tennessee
“Right on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

First time camping here, really enjoyed it. Site 63, tent area, right at beach.
Great breeze! Quiet, non-crowded beach. Rangers were nice. Great view of stars at night. Saw deer and squirrels. The raccoons raided our cooler the last night. Keep things locked up good. Sites are close together, not real private. We caught a few fish off pier. Some fellows were catching sharks at the beach. Bathhouse, needs updating.
We will go back again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

This was such a great place to stay. The breeze off the ocean is terrific and you can hear the surf at night. The stars were just tremendous and the staff/rangers were incredible. We stayed up late one night and the night ranger stopped and had a very engaging conversation with us for 30 minutes. He even called us by name and was very attentive. THe store on site was a huge help and everything was so very organized and well kept. There is not a thing I could complain about. No mosquitos and fly problem!! We stayed for 3 nights and wished we could have stayed for much longer. We camped in an RV at site 74 with great access to the beach. Shelling was wonderful and our family enjoyed finding all the crabs and little fish. THe nature center is a must do here. THe staff took plenty of time with just our family and we were hands on with most all the living things in the center. The fishing pier is over 1300 feet long and is very interesting. The rangers offered many things to do in the park and we were always safe. Awesome!!!

• Liked — the direct access to the beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Detroit MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

As a kid, I camped at Hunting Island in the 70s. It was our all-time favorite vacation spot and we have spoken of it often through the years. Now that I have my own family, I have taken them there twice and look forward to our third trip there next month. Hunting Island is the idyllic family vacation. There is so much to do, yet it is a totally relaxing place to stay. The star of the campground is the sweeping, wide beach. My mother often says that if someone places their blanket less than 50 feet from you at Hunting Island that you are being crowded. It's so true. If you walk down the beach a bit you could easily have hundreds of yards between you and another sunbather. I've seen it compared to beaches in the South Pacific where trees touch the water's edge and driftwood creates beautiful sculpture. That's so true too! We have been lucky enough to pitch our tent literally steps from the beach each time we've visited. Our daily routine begins with waking up to the sound of surf lapping nearby. As each of us awakes, we put our bathing suits on and head right into the ocean for a morning swim. It's a joy to look toward our tent, see a child's head peek out, break into a smile and charge right into the Atlantic. When all five of us have had our fill of swimming and looking for shells, we meander back to our campsite to have some breakfast. It's usually at least 10 a.m. as time tends to get away from us. The rest of the day usually involves crabbing, fishing, cast netting, beach combing, skim boarding, boogie boarding, swimming, sunbathing or relaxing on the beach in front of our tent. We have participated in many of the park's nature programs and have thoroughly enjoyed them, especially the walks where we learn about the sea turtles who lay their eggs on the island. We often look for the eggs that were laid overnight first thing in the morning and are thrilled to find a new nest. When it gets too hot, we drive into Beaufort to admire the old homes or to shop in one of the unique stores in town. There are also many delicious meals to be had in one of the spectacular restaurants in town - we especially enjoy Steamers and Nippy's, two casual places for excellent seafood. At the campground, we often cook shrimp we've purchased off the boats or Blue Crab we've caught at the fishing pier. The kids love it and we love it just as much! We no sooner leave from one vacation before we start talking about the next year at Hunting Island. It's no small trip for us as we drive all the way from Michigan, but is worth every minute and every mile on the road. It is our very favorite place to be!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Bathrooms could use updating but are clean.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

read all reviews great place to stay. Stayed site 90 something big site w/ our 2 tents. We stayed a 4th night in walk in. Watch out TICKS and the coons are aggressive after everything inc take over your fire to have a romantic eve of their own. Views all great, beach great. But the Bathroom folks up by beach were fine. Ours ,oh my goodness in back area close to walkins both. Several sites were mad . They were Nasty. The womens you open a curtain and have to shower w/ a stranger. Yes private but dressing area no!! one curtain for 2 people!! Need to change that. Not up front but thats not right nor fair to those in back where its more tropical...... and the showers backed up. They were not that clean. /before you go over bridge into state park there are some T shirt shops off to the Left., expensive! but before that a shack serves seafood lunches hole in the wall forgot name SO good. and reasonable...... you see this Shrimp shack then later t shirts shacks. eat there!! got pix of me feeding deer. Go crabing bring chicken necks and carb nets. blue crabs yummy!! grea shells great views need need bath houses in back area bad!! walkin sites water by car parking area . have to walk all the way out of tropical area to get water etc. Coons may take over while you get water!! goof balls.

Stayed April 2008
Greenville, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

We initially had reservations for April and because of the rain the staff changed our dates to May which is a great month to tent camp on the island. Its a little chilly at night and not too hot in the day. We had a hike in tent site which was near a marsh and plenty of mosquitoes. Insect repellent kept them at bay but it was a bit annoying. The raccoons and deer come out to greet you as soon as you arrive. The beach is really beautiful although next time we go we plan to stay at site 75 or 73 as they are closer to the ocean (less mosquitoes) and not that close to the RV's.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
huntersville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

We will definitely go back first chance we get. We stayed for the weekend and didn't get a chance to see everything. What we did see was spectacular. Everything from the sunrise exploding skies to driftwood art along the beach, this was a real treat for the avid camper. I will plan a longer stay next time. Oh, and need I say that the fishing was terrific. If I had kept everything I caught, I would have had enough to fill my chest freezer at home...and that was right off the surf or pier. No need to stock up to much on camping supplies, the store right on the camp ground had everything we needed. Park rangers curtious and helpful and ensure your stay is a pleasent one. Only downside were the nosee-ums (bugs)...they tore me up, but that was my fault. Didn't think those things could do so much damage. Luckily I was the only one in my group that decided to stay in shorts and short sleeve tee. They all covered up and were fine. Bug spray helps, but doesn't make you invisible. Bugs and having to leave were the only down side. See my photos!!!

• Liked — Nature
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

My very first impression of Hunting Island resulted from their staff's excellent customer service. My husband and I were originally scheduled to go camping there last May, however the Beaufort bridge was knocked out and we elected not to go sit in traffic for hours on end. We called to reschedule, and not only were we NOT charged a fee for cancelling at the last minute, but the reservation lady voluntarily searched for and offered us a much nicer campsite than the one we had originally booked.

We could not believe our good fortune with our campsite. Our tent was literally 10 feet from the sand with an unobstructed view of the ocean! Falling asleep to the sound of crashing waves... you can't beat that! I have to hand it to this park's management for offering tent-campers their own area directly along the beach. At most campgrounds, RV's take priority, and tent-only sites are relegated to the most inconvenient areas. Kudos to Hunting Island for remembering the rest of us!

The campground itself is huge, shady, lots of loops, with another tent area secluded in the back. From the farthest sites, I would guess the beach is at least a 7-8 minute walk. Our bathhouse was old, but as clean as could be expected given all of the sand that was tracked in. Showers were nice and hot!

Camp store - very well-stocked, clean, bright, and pleasant. Do your shopping before you get to Hunting Island, but if you forget something, this store probably has it.

Beach - loved it! Wide expanse of sand, clean water, gentle surf. At low tide, the waves were practically nonexistent, and at high tide, the waves still weren't high or rough enough to knock you down. Perfect for swimming or floating on a raft. I never spotted any jellyfish, either.

Hiking - not many trails on this island, but enough to keep you busy for a few hours. Don't miss the boardwalk in the salt marsh.

Ranger programs - we attended two, both enthusiastically presented by a young and knowledgeable staffer. We learned about loggerhead turtles and local reptile citizens, and I would recommend attending a program if you have the time.

Camp staff/security - the campground closes the gates at 10 pm, and at all open hours, the entrance is staffed by volunteers checking for passes. Everyone was very friendly and it was nice to know that random people were not going to be driving around the campground. Also, we had a bizarre encounter with a lone man (dressed in full military gear) who approached us late at night on the beach near the lighthouse (very deserted), and this guy even followed us after we changed directions. It freaked us out, and we raced back to the campground to find a security guard, who took off immediately in search of the guy. I mention this not as a negative reflection on the park, but to applaud them for their diligence in keeping the area safe for their guests.

Dogs - yes, they're allowed, and they were absolutely no problem. I like dogs but would have been extremely annoyed if I was kept awake all night by barking, or constantly having to step around their messes. The owners were very considerate and I never saw any "evidence" that so many animals were even there. It was actually a lot of fun to watch the dogs playing on the beach with their owners.

It is easy to see why Hunting Island is one of SC's most popular parks. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hunting Island State Park Campground? Share your experiences!