“Our Best Meal in Beaufort” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Griffin Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 141 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Griffin Market brings relaxed elegance and a taste of Italy’s Piedmont region to the lowcountry of South Carolina. Situated on Carteret Street in historic downtown Beaufort, the restaurant features the culinary and wine expertise of Laura and Riccardo Bonino. The couple moved the restaurant from its original location in the neighborhood of Georgetown, Washington D.C. in 2011. Laura is a veteran executive chef whose talent has been featured at numerous fine-dining restaurants across the country. Riccardo is an accomplished sommelier and is recognized for his unique gift for pairing wine with food. Griffin Market offers seasonal fare made with expert refinement for dinner 6 days a week and lunch 3 days a week.
Falmouth, MA
“Our Best Meal in Beaufort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although the outside is nondescript, the inside of Griffin Market is warm and inviting. The place is small but not crowded and the small menu which changes daily has an interesting selection. Our server (a charming Peruvian man) was excellent and helped us make appropriate choices. My wife enjoyed her meal of prosciutto and mozzarella, swordfish, and pannacotta. I had an excellent meal of vitello tonnato, seared duck breast on lentils, and a plate of selected cheeses. My only quibble was a series of rules on the menu about bread service and several other "dos and don'ts." As a seasoned traveler, including several trips to Italy, I found it a bit insulting to be "lectured" about hot to enjoy Italian cuisine. I guess this was meant for the American tourists who want a big basket of bread on the table.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

SC
“Finally! Great northern Italian cuisine in SC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I love this cozy restaurant. The service was wonderful and my tagliatelle alla bolognese with fresh egg pasta was something I will think about until our next visit. It's a small restaurant with a fairly small menu but great wine selection. Go here if you want authentic.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“My New Favorite Resturant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this restaurant is authentic Northern Italian. The food is outstanding as has been described in many reviews. Our party of four had caprese salad, two of the daily specials ( lamb chops and a cheese pasta) and two of the Tagliatelle alla Bolognese. All were excellent. I am a huge Bolognese fan and this is the best I have ever had, including in Italy! The ambiance is pure Italian, service is excellent. A major plus is the wine pairing by Riccardo. He suggested a wine I had never heard of and it turned out to be an excellent wine perfectly matched to the Bolognese. This is my new favorite restaurant, my new favorite pasta dish and my new favorite wine. Too bad I don't live in Beaufort!

Visited April 2013
CT
“Small menu, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

First of all, don't look for a sign because you won't find one, we finally found Griffin Market by walking up to doors until we finally found the right one. Glad we did. The menu was limited, only 4 entrees to choose from. We both chose the oxtail and pronounced it excellent. Served over puree of sweet potatoes it was the right combination of sweet and rich. Pretty decent wine list for bottles and by the glass. Portion size was small as a prior reviewer indicated. We walked, so cannot comment on parking, but it appeared as though there might be a small lot next to the restaurant for parking. Unlike many restaurants, this one was quiet (we could actually talk to each other without having to raise our voices). Nice room between tables (we were not crunched up to our dining neighbors).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“The best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is by far one of the best places to eat in Beaufort!! The food is fantastic and the service is wonderful. Make a reservation -you will have to!

Visited April 2013