“Very, Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Beaulieu House at Cat Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaufort
Beaulieu House at Cat Island
3 Sheffield Ct Cat Island, Beaufort, SC 29907   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Beaufort B&B and Inns
Savannah, Georgia
“Very, Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I are from the Savannah, Ga area and couldn't wait to get away for a weekend babymoon. I am 24 weeks and thought this would be the perfect B&B based on the reviews. First of all, let me say that the inn sitters told about in previous reviews were not there. The owner had just gotten back a few days prior to our stay from a 3 month stay in India. The night we got there was on a Friday night and it was raining hard. She was kind enough to put us on the third (top) floor. It was a spacious room with a nice bathroom. The doll collection mentioned in previous reviews is true, though. If you think many, many dolls of all makes and ages is creepy then reconsider. Our bathroom had a few rows of troll dolls lined up on shelves above the jacuzzi. Not to mention that two sections of the room had screens up to hide all of the storage boxes, etc.--some with doll parts coming out of the boxes. It would've been an absolutely beautiful room without all of the clutter. She did not have the air conditioning on, so when we asked if she would accomodate us, she refused and said it was very cold to her especially being in India where it was 94 degrees the whole time. She suggested we open some windows. So by the time we came back from eating, our top floor room was not only hot still but now damp feeling. I am usually a very cold natured person, but being pregnant has changed all that. Plus, my husband is by far hot natured. It was a miserable night to say the least. The next morning the owner, Diann, asked if we had cooled down any and when we said no, she tried to argue with us that it wasn't hot and she had needed two blankets. Again, she compared our weather to India. Plus, she refused to believe that heat rises and tht it was hotter on the third floor than the first. At breakfast, she argued with anything her friend that joined us said. It was pretty awkward and unpleasant. Her friend was visiting for the art show that weekend and was a pleasant conversationalist which helped us get through breakfast. Needless to say we left after breakfast. I couldn't believe how unaccommodating the owner was. I've been to other B&B's before and have been taken care of especially as a paying customer. This owner simply showed that it was her way or no way. "Be thankful you're not in India." So, if you still want to give it a try and don't mind dolls and clutter, I would suggest finding out who will be there first--the owner or the inn sitters.

Room Tip: Top floor was cluttered and very hot. Make sure to get a room with no dolls if that bothers you.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
jezabelle2, Owner at Beaulieu House at Cat Island, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Kim L,

I am so sorry to read of your frustrations with your stay at my B&B in March. I have only today (May 20th) found and read your review for the first time. There is no excuse for my bad business behavior during your short stay. I am sincerely sorry. Please do not let that "one-night" spoil the joyousness of your pregnancy experience or keep you from enjoying other travel adventures.
I have been an innkeeper for 13 years. Without a doubt, any other day you would have seen me and my business in a favorable light.
Please e-mail me, as I would like the opportunity to make amends to you and Chuck. I pride myself on facilitating pleasant and memorable experiences here on Cat Island and in Beaufort.
Diann

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We spent the weekend catching up with girlfriends and had a wonderful time. The inn was charming and the food was really good. Loved the hospitality supplied by the inn sitters: Wendy and Terry Brennan, who is an artist. Terry held an art class for us and we all came home with something that we painted that day, which made the trip extra special. The rooms were very comfortable. The doll collection was a bit over done, but all in all we had a fabulous time.

Room Tip: My room had a water view and a hammock on the balcony. Awesome. #203
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We generally loved the location, right on the water (Chowan Creek, really..), very beautiful backyard with a hammock. The house is nice, slightly odd coloring on the outside, but cute. The rooms were great, southern in style and decor. We were a bit creep-ed out by the hundres of dolls (in glass cases) in the hallway, but for a B&B, the house interior decor will be what it will be, unique to the owner's taste. The food served in the morning was good, unique and tasty. The owner was generally very nice, a bit talkative (and sometimes too much about her negative experiences in life). The number one reason why this B&B is not getting a higher rating is the house dog. It is psychologically depressed.. and had no problem going to the bathroom anywhere inside the house, including our bedroom. It's one thing to love your dog, its entirely another to let your dog dramatically impact the experience of your guests.. Love the dog, but somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Of all the B and B's out there they have nothing on the Beaulieu House on Cat Island! Diann, the owner, really has something going on. Clean, beautiful, spacious rooms and the views of the river from the back of the house was idyllic. I was impressed by the owners collections of dolls and other curios from her travels. I brought my bike along and took a long ride on Cat Island. It was serene: the golf course green, manicured yet totally in balance with the natural environment. The deer roamed without care or worry at all hours of the day. What a beautiful island for bike riding, golf or maybe be tennis. What a comfortable, relaxed B and B. I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Wash. DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Nice location, overlooking the water. . Across from a golf club and swimming pool. Owner/host is nice and the rooms are clean. The collection of dolls is a little disconcerting especially in the rooms. If all the dolls and eyes make anyone nervous, I'd suggest to make sure you request a room without them as they are a little creepy. Lots of notes and signs to let you know what you should not do seemed a little 'teenage boarding schoolish' . The room we had, did not have any curtains and it impacted the sleep in the morning as it was too bright. The breakfast was served at 8:30am and consisted of waffles, fruit, coffee & juice. The 'family' style breakfats fosters chatting with the host & other boarders and can be a plus if you are up to it or not if you are enjoy a more quiet breakfast.
Overall a pleasant and quaint place.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms with many dolls.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This B&B was very clean, quaint, had interesting art, collectibles and most importantly a very interesting owner. Breakfast was wonderful and we had fun sharing stories of our travels with she and other guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

My friend and I spent a couple of nights at this place surrounded by nature, art, conversation, and plenty of time for relaxation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Beaulieu House at Cat Island? Share your experiences!