“We can't wait to return; the best part of our trip.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuthbert House Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1203 Bay Street, Beaufort, SC 29902   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Beaufort B&B and Inns
crazy4Hapa
“We can't wait to return; the best part of our trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Oh the gorgeous Cuthbert House. When my friend heard we were going to Beaufort, she said we had to stay at the Cuthbert House. My friend has always given me great recommendations, so we were happy to secure a reservation. We were more than pleased with our beautifully appointed room and the rest of the public areas are exquisite. We felt like General Sherman would arrive at any moment. We loved the history of the house and the breakfast room was sunny and beautiful. The food was yummy and presented on lovely china and cut glass.

The best part of our stay was getting to know the host and hostess and the other guests at the evening social hour. So much fun. They were very liberal with there wine pours and yummy munchies.

Thank you Jeff and Marianne for providing great hospitality and such comfy and tastefully appointed rooms. We hope to return next year.

• Stayed May 2013
Baywatcher, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thanks you for your wonderful review, but we have to be careful about inviting Sherman back anytime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Lincoln, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the Cuthbert House and would highly recommend this B&B to anyone. Beautiful house, tastefully decorated, welcoming hosts, great food, great location, lots of privacy -- what is not to like? Can't comment on Robin T's review other than to say it is the complete opposite of our experience. We would highly recommend this Inn and have every intention of returning when we can. The Cuthbert House Inn is a gem!

Room Tip: They are all beautiful and I thing the only question is do you want a king or two queens, and do you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann C, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thanks, your comments are well appreciated and it shows that you read all the reviews.
Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Cozy, well-appointed rooms with comfy bed and nice decor. Enjoy sitting on the lovely large porch overlooking Beaufort's waterfront. Social hours every day where you can visit with the inn owners and fellow guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann C, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
All I can say is a special thank you for caring and coming to stay with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in this Inn three times and each time was an outstanding visit. The Inn and the grounds are wonderful as are the social hours with owners Jeff and Mary Ann who are exremely accommodating and caring. They are also very involved in the community and very helpful in providing information about the town-especially where to eat. The review by RobinT is unbelieveable. Maybe she needs some gluten. Don't let those rants scare you off this place is excellent. They even have a nice dog friendly room which we stayed in this visit. We will be back and we will continue to recommend the Cuthbert House to all our friends.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mary Ann C, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
It's repeat guests like yourself that makes us love our inn life and town. Thanks for the kind words.
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have stayed at the Cuthbert House numerous times over the past several years as we searched for and finally built a retirement home in Beaufort. The 200+ year old inn is charming with several large bedrooms and a fascinating history. Breakfast is excellent and social hour (with free wine and hors d'oeuves) is not to be missed. A Low Country sunset from the front porch, overlooking the Beaufort River, is picturesque beyond description. The owners/innkeepers, Jeff and Mary Ann, are a delightful couple who quickly became our first friends in Beaufort. Jeff is well versed in the area's colorful history and is a wonderful resource. Now, as area residents, we still frequent the Cuthbert House as our other Beaufort home, and the place we go when the grandchildren (and their parents) overrun our small home.

Room Tip: All the room are different (we have stayed in most of them) and none are to be avoided. If you like...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann C, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Long term returning guest are not guests they are friends. Thanks you
Lookout Mountain, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

For the past few years, my sisters and I have taken our mother to a bed and breakfast as a Christmas gift. We have traveled all over the south and have had many amazing experiences that encourage us to repeat the tradition year after year.
This year, we surprised her with a trip to the Cuthbert House. With many good reviews in a town we had not yet visited, we were excited for our stay in mid-April. Unfortunately, it was hands down the worst bed and breakfast any of us had ever visited. Maybe our expectations were too high - but, in my experience, what differentiates a bed and breakfast from a hotel is the great food, hospitality, and a more personal setting. While I have nothing but praise for the house and grounds, the food was on par with a local Shoney's and I've had better hospitality at the DMV. We would have enjoyed ourselves more and saved a good deal of money, had we just booked a room at the Best Western down the street.
One reason I love staying at bed and breakfasts is that I can generally trust that they will take by gluten intolerance seriously, or at least let me know if they cannot. When I booked the room, I notified the innkeeper (female) that I was gluten intolerant. I sent a email a few days before we arrived reiterating my dietary requirements because I was told to do so by the innkeeper (female). I was told to tell them when I checked in, which I did. However, the first morning at breakfast I was served a biscuit. I did not want to make too big of a deal, so I set it aside. The next day however, I was served french toast. When I reminded Jeffrey (I had by then learned the innkeepers names) of my dietary requirement he responded "Did you tell her that?" (meaning his wife) I replied that I had, to which he responded, "You can't expect be to remember that." As if that was not enough he then said "Well, what do you want?" Shocked at the exchange, I asked him to "surprise me" (a regrettable error...) He returned with a small patch of shriveled, dry scrambled eggs and two link sausage rolling around on the side. But, hey, it was gluten free, so I guess I should not complain, right? Even if my food allergies had not prevented me from eating most of what they gave me, I would not have wanted to anyway. The food provided at the 5:00 Social Hour was straight of the Costco shelf - squares of cheese, crackers and a glob of tubbed spinach dip.
In regards to the hospitality, it was not really there. Marianne never introduced herself to us or spoke to us (to the point where we wondered if we had offended her in some way or maybe she had another job and was just hanging out at the house for a bit). Jeffrey did chat with us quite a bit at the first Social Hour, when he told us how exhausted he was from running the bed and breakfast,how he had not had a vacation in 7 years and how they had just hired "a new girl" to help in the running of the house - perfect conversation to have with guests!
When it was time to leave, no one met us to say goodbye or collect our key. We asked a passing room attendant to find someone so we could get a receipt. Marianne came out bearing a credit card slip for me to sign for the "upcharge on the room" (3 people).
Clearly, Jeffrey and Marianne have one foot out the door. Ultimately, we ended up feeling not like customers who had spent $264/night but like houseguests who had overstayed their welcome. Try the Rhett Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Baywatcher, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Ms. Taber,
We are so sorry that your experience with us was not up to your ou our expectations.
We wish you the very best in your future travels.
Mary Ann and Jeff
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We loved our stay at this beautiful historic home turned inn. We chose the Oak Room which is located at the back of the house on the second story, along a veranda that literally has you staying in an old oak tree.
The room is cozy and quiet. The shower stall amazingly large.
5-6 is social hour which was nice but not done on Sundays, unfortunately. Breakfast is delightful. Fixed menu. Served quickly but not rushed. Very good food.
Be sure to ask to borrow the inn's bikes and do a tour yourself. It's mainly flat in Beaufort but you'd get to see a great deal of the wonderful historic town. Wonderful and helpful couple own this property and we wish them many years of happy success.

Room Tip: All rooms have their own character and the photos on the website seem very true. Enjoy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your kind review. We try very hard to make a stay here a wonderful experience.
Mary Ann and Jeff

Been to Cuthbert House Inn? Share your experiences!