“The little things make a difference.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Joliet, Illinois, United States
“The little things make a difference.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had high hopes for this vacation, I first heard of The Beaufort Inn through SniqueAway and missed getting the deal price twice due to my ability to confirm dates that far out. When I could finally make firm plans the inn still had a June online special price and the Luxury King was available so we were excited, 5 nights, June 30- July 5, half way between the two cities we wanted to visit and a town with lots to do on the days we wanted to laze on the beach. Plus an onsite restaurant run by an award winning chief.

So was it all that was expected from the website and reviews we read, not really.

I wanted to eat at Southern Graces for a couple of meals to see what the chief could do, so I made sure we would arrive on Sunday to try the brunch and then we would have the daily breakfast and snacks as well as a day for lunch or dinner.

We arrived at 1:00 for the brunch and only 4 people were there eating. Yes, we were late for a brunch, but with the limited choices I was sorry we spent so much effort to arrive early. We were offered only 1 Bloody Mary or Mimosa each since the restaurant does not have a liquor license. We each tried one, the Bloody Mary was pretty good. I ordered the Eggs Benedict to go with the fried chicken and roast that were offered. I hate runny eggs and ask for the egg to be very hard. When it arrived I was finishing the chicken and waited to check the egg when I did it was a runny egg. I gave it to my husband and ask again for a hard egg. It took quite a while so I had hopes, but when she started to bring it from the kitchen this time I saw her check the egg and go back so when I finally got the egg it was a hard egg. There was also a mixed greens salad [very good], an artichoke dish [original and good] with pita chips, and sides that were so normal that I don't remember what they were, the desserts were mini cupcakes, dipped fruit, and puddings [nothing amazing].
The brunch was not what is advertised on the Southern Graces website. No salmon, no biscuits, no chicken hash, and none of the omelet offerings listed.

So we finished brunch pretty quickly for our usual brunch experience. I was hoping that the dinner made to order would be much better.

It was raining when we finished eating and the woman at the lobby desk said that our room was ready and we could check in early if we wanted. Great!

We were in room 13 a cottage that was not attached to any of the other buildings, good it would be quite, when we stepped into the room it looked great, we were surprised that there was not a soaking tub or frig, but were so tired from the 900 mile drive that we didn't look really close at everything right then, the woman did show us how if the dimmer switch on the bathroom light was move just a little then the light would not work.

After she left us in the room I noticed that the wall behind the bathroom door had a hole in it from the hook on the back of the door, I was surprised that it was there considering there was a floor stop and hinge stop and when the door was shut to clean behind it should have been very visible to the cleaning staff. There was also no soap in the bathroom. It was a VERY large bathroom and lots of unused floor space. The shower was a small single size when a larger size could have fit easily, as well as a standard tub from the 1950's. We were hoping for a claw footed soaking tub like in all of the photos we had seen on the website or at least a modern soaking or jet tub especially since this was a stand alone building.

Okay, so the bathroom wasn't great, just normal, but the hole in the wall really bugged me as it showed attention to detail.

The next thing I tried was to log on to the wi-fi so I could work on a class I was taking online, I could not get the connection to work so we decided to go to the lobby and see about the connection as well as soap and the frig that we thought would be in the room.

At first the woman that was now at the desk didn't seem to believe that we didn't have any soap, but went and got some for us, when we ask about the frig we were told that it could be moved from another room, but it would require her or someone else to bring it over, it never appeared. I was finally able to get logged on to the wi-fi in the lobby using IE, but I could never get a connection in the room.

The suitcase rack was at the end of the bed and we moved it to the close,t since there was no drawers to place our clothes in we needed to have the suitcase open the whole time and this kept it out of the walk way.

The bed was nice, high and a great sleep the only problem with it was the fact that the 4 poster frame kept spreading out on the left side, we had to slide the end and headboard together each time we got out of bed. Again details.

The front door was hard to lock when you left and when we spent the first night it was evident as to why, the door wasn't square so there was a crack along the jam side that you could see light through and mosquitoes came in through it, I got bit while sleeping several times. I don't expect old historic building to be square, but I do expect them to be secure.

So we went back to the lobby at 5 to check out the snacks, while walking in we saw a sign sitting on a table in the hall stating that the Southern Graces restaurant would be closed for the week. No one in the inn had mentioned this and it was not on the restaurant or inn website when I was booking the vacation. Would have been nice to have it mentioned when we checked in.

The woman had said the snack would be these great scones when we were in about the soap and frig issue, so I was looking forward to them, when we got there the snack was leftovers from the brunch dessert trays. The scones showed up as drop scones later in the week and one time as small scones, again not what I figured.

So the first day ended and we took showers only to find that the drain was slow and you ended up standing in water almost up to the door, no long leisurely showers.

The next morning we were going to make coffee in the provided coffee machine and found that in order to use the machine it needed to be placed on the floor to be able to plug it into the outlet. Really? Needless to say we did not make coffee in our room.

The daily breakfast started out great, but went down hill as the week progressed. Knox the cook is a talker and I enjoyed the banter, but he was over whelmed on some morning with only one omelet pan to cook in and he only had 2 cup containers of spinach, cheese, onions, and tomatoes, you could add bacon or sausage from the bar. For me an omelet is just a scrambled egg unless you add a good amount of ingredients and so I always ask for 4 times the amount of spinach, and then a little cheese and tomato. I have a feeling that the staff was left with a limited amount of ingredients for the week's breakfasts as they ran out of sausages the first day and they never reappeared, cheddar cheese was all gone on the 5th when we left and the french toast the first day was great, but the rest of the week it wasn't quite cooked all the way.

Things the Beaufort could do better: quality check each room closer, frig in each room, coffee maker that plugs in from where they have it placed, doors that lock easily and tightly, make sure wi-fi works in all rooms, maybe a checklist of things that need attention, a history of each building would also be nice as well as a map of where it was moved from.

Individually all of these items were small problems, we could have complained rather then trying to be polite and if it was a one night stay no problem, but when the inn is competing against the Holiday Inn Express Suites they need to be at a higher level, adding more buildings is great, but they need to take care of what they have also, unfortunately we left the Beaufort Inn feeling like customers not guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you eat at the Old Bull Tavern around the corner, AMAZING food and service. We ate there t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you taking the time to write such a thoughtful and thorough review. We strive to provide each guest with The Quintessential Lowcountry Experience including attention to detail in our beautifully appointed rooms, well lit courtyards, friendly staff and amenities such as The Beaufort Day Spa, and Southern Graces Bistro. Your feedback is a barometer of our strengths and opportunities for improvement. I’ve shared your review with Chef Hewitt and our Maintenance and Room Attendant staff have addressed the concerns you detailed. The Beaufort Inn is an exceptional property offering guests modern amenities in an historic setting. I do hope you will again visit Beaufort and make a return trip to The Beaufort Inn to give us an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had never been to Beaufort and decided at the last minute to do an impromptu road trip. Lucky for me I was able to find a room at the Beaufort Inn. The staff could not have been more pleasant. Everyone was so friendly and helpful with directions. The Inn is beautiful and comfortable and I hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the kind review. I am glad we were able to accommodate you during your impromptu road trip. ,We often have “walk in” guests decide to stay with us when they see our extensive grounds, historic cottages and luxury accommodations. I look forward to your return visit. Reservations are recommended!
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were here for a wedding and had an absolutely wonderful time. The staff was so friendly and the rooms are all different with such personality. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom very spacious. We stayed in one of the cottages and it was great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. The Beaufort Inn is a great place for an event! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and stay with us again.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The comfort and hospitality was obvious and greatly appreciated. Being from and raised in Beaufort, the Beaufort Inn typifies the beauty that is Beaufort and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Beaufort.

Room Tip: If you want to be a bit more secluded, try their "Greyhound Flats". It is across the stre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I greatly appreciate your kind review and recommendation of our Inn. We strive to provide the Quintessential Lowcountry Experience and all that makes Beaufort so special! We hope you will return and stay with us again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The staff at The Beaufort Inn were fabulous. Really enjoyed the breakfast and having two rooms for us and our children. We stayed in a Port Republic suite and it easily accommodated all four of us, since the beds were in separate rooms. My kids favorite part of the Inn was 'the whole thing!'

Room Tip: The suites are big enough for a family and open directly onto the street. Works great for kids becau...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. The Port Republic Cottages are very spacious and provide a family such as yours with plenty of space. I am thrilled the kids enjoyed their stay. We strive to be family friendly and family oriented. Please come back and stay with us again.
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very nice hotel and staff. The cottage we stayed in was right on the street, but very quiet. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was spacious and looked as if it had been renovated recently. The parking lot across the street was very convenient and had plenty of spaces. One of the best things about the property is that it is one block away from the waterfront. We really could have parked our car and never gone anywhere outside of walking distance. There are a lot of good restaurants and boutiques right near the hotel. We were very happy with the service and the room and we will be staying there again when we return to Beaufort in the future.

Room Tip: Stayed in a port royal cottage. Very nice. Lots of space. Don't know about other rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. The location of The Beaufort Inn makes it extremely convenient for our guests to enjoy all of the lovely sites, shopping, and dining Beaufort has to offer. It sounds like you took advantage of that! I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to your return visit.
Cedar Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were greeted warmly upon arrival and escorted to our 3rd floor room. It was in the high 90's outside and consequently our room was 80 degrees. The staff tried to fix this immediately and also brought us a complementary bottle of wine (very good wine). When it didn't work, they called and said they were moving us to another room. It was very much an upgrade and cost us nothing. The new room had the huge bathroom with the freestanding tub and shower with "rain" from the top and water coming out from both sides - awesome! Everything was absolutely top notch - accommodations, personnel and food.

Room Tip: We had a nice room across the courtyard from the main building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the exceptional review. The room you were moved to is called a Garden Cottage Luxury King. It is the epitome of luxury with the soaking tub and rainfall shower. I am thrilled you enjoyed it! Please come back and visit us again.

Been to The Beaufort Inn? Share your experiences!