“Not sure” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 128 Restaurants in Westerly
Cuisines: Belgian
“Not sure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I've heard nothing but great things about the food here. The waffles are supposed to be out of is world. The Resturant seemed to have little in the way of air conditioning. My wife and I walked inside and the temperature was too unbearable to enjoy a meal. I'm sure the food is good. But the atmosphere needs work.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Westerly, RI
“I will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011 via mobile

Grabbed a freshly made waffle with vibrant fruits and it was the best I've ever had. The service was perfect for a breakfast lunch place. Very nice family owns it. I will be back soon

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clifton, NJ
“Great find for a lunch stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

It’s not every day you can enjoy homemade crepes for lunch. And at van Ghent Café, you can have a sweet or savory one—or both—because the portions are sensible (ie, European vs. American). My ham and cheese crepe was served with fresh fruit in a smiley face configuration, potato chips, and applesauce on the side. My husband’s Croque Madame was smartly attired with her lovely sunny side egg "hat." The luncheonette is so cheery and so is the welcome. Van Ghent was truly a transporting experience. It was surprising that we did not have to fend off the lunch crowd to get a table, though it could be due to the fact that the café moved a few blocks closer to the railroad station recently. Travelers should consider this a great place to stop en route to Newport.

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CT
“This place is delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stopped here for a leisurely late breakfast, and were totally charmed by the ambiance, food, and friendliness. The specialty is Belgian food - waffles, crepes, sandwiches, omelettes. We had the ham and cheese crepe and a crab melt. Both were excellent. The crepe had loads of melting gouda cheese and good ham. The crab melt was a special and loaded with fresh crabmeat (not the fake pollack kind). Coffee was excellent too. They had many sweet varieties of crepe fillings, including nutella and strawberries, peaches, blueberries, etc.

The decor was charming - photos and artwork from Belgium and other European countries. The bathroom walls are covered with postcards from all over.

Our waitress was wonderful and very attentive. The owner came over and spoke with us and made us feel so welcome. We can't wait to have an excuse to return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ashland, Massachusetts
“Get your waffles at the Belgian Van Ghent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Waffles with berries were to die for... crepes looked great. My husband had a tastey omelette-like dish but missed homefries and sausage (I guess they're not Belgian). I love that Westerly has a unique breakfast option (I told my hubby, if you want Friendly's, go there!)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere