“Very friendly; hope to return soon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tradewinds Motel

The Tradewinds Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Westerly
The Tradewinds Motel
You added The Tradewinds Motel to your Saves list
4 Rabbit Run, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Westerly
Milford, Connecticut
“Very friendly; hope to return soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Nice simple room and close to the beach but not too close that we had a noise problem at night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Groton, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We will definitely return to this motel! Room was basic but clean and comfortable and at a great price for the area. We loved the convenience of being able to walk to beach and owner was welcoming and friendly. Be aware that it is no frills but you do have a refrigerator, microwave and air conditioning. Bathroom was small but functional and our bed was a double which is smaller than we are used to but still very comfortable. Motel was completely full during our stay but we did not hear any noise from the other rooms except for the bathroom (probably because of the air conditioning.) Tables are provided outside many of the rooms so you can relax with a beverage and talk to your neighbors if you wish. Not fancy but no complaints at all from us!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Although I never met the woman who books the rooms, she seemed very pleasant and straightforward. Not having the office staffed at any point during my stay was strange, but never caused a problem. My room was small particularly because it was so narrow. The only adjustment for heat is on the floor (baseboard) and impossible to read. A double bed (not a queen, not in great condition) barely left walking-around room. The TV was a flat panel, but 27” is not big enough for the distance from the bed. In an unusual case of room design, hanging clothes blocked half the screen. The bathroom seemed to have been redone recently and was very nice, but the shower stall was a bit small. There was no one next to me during my stay, so I was unable to tell how much noise came through the walls, my main criterion for evaluating a motel. Keep in mind that they have different sizes and shapes for rooms, so others may not have these features. All you get is soap, so bring everything else, including breakfast.

The room had a small refrigerator and even a tiny microwave, increasingly rare in beach motels in the northeast, but mine reeked of popcorn, and not in a good way. If you are unfamiliar with the Misquamicut Beach area, there is nowhere nearby to eat out of season; you must drive 2.5 miles back to US 1. The microwave is a big help; daily room service would be, too, if they offered it. There are no outside garbage cans to get rid of your trash.

The motel appears very secure and the clients I met nice, but without a staffed office and no in-room phone, I would not stay here without a cell phone.

All in all, I recommend this motel as there really aren’t very many near the beach in Westerly (nor the entire south Rhode Island coast, for that matter, and even fewer open all year). My experience compared very favorably with the reviews of the other motels in Westerly I have read on this site. You might have more services in-season.

The reason I downgraded the room from a possible four stars is their pricing policy. They gave me a rate of $180 for three nights. When I got there, they had a sign up saying I could have had a room for seven nights for $150. I feel cheated.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Fairfield County, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I always remove the bedspreads when I get to a room as well as inspect for bed bugs. Thank goodness no bedbugs but nasty stains on the backs of these very old and faded bedspreads. I needed to wash with soap & warm water after touching them. I also found a dental flosser on the floor near the bed and there was black mold growing in the shower. I've posted photos of the room (#13). I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that it was an efficiency for my $100 (last weekend of summer special) and we were able to make coffee (had to find a grocery store to purchase coffee, sugar & cream) for the morning. We selected this room based on other Trip Advisor reviews, but I can't say that I'd recommend this place to a friend, nor will I ever stay here again. The owner was indeed nice, but I did notice he did not inquire how our stay was. Probably for the best...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My wife and I are "lighthouse chasers" and were looking for a basic motel to spend two nights in as we visited lighthouses in Connecticut and Rhode Island. The Tradewinds fit the bill. The room was on the small side, just a bed, chair, dresser and small frig- no table - but was very clean and functional. Would not want to stay in this room if we were going to be spending a lot of time in the motel, but was perfect for what we wanted - a place to sleep after spending most of the day on the road.
Air conditioning, flat screen tv worked fine.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I have stayed at this motel at least a dozen times over the past six or seven years and have always found the owners to be friendly and accommodating. The rooms are basic but immaculately clean and comfortable. It is the best value at the beach (a short walk away) and off the main road so it is peaceful. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a pleasant, quiet place to stay near the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
pawcatuck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband and I come from western MASS & each summer for at least 15 years we would vacation 2-3 days down in Westerly RI. We tried different motels but for the last 10 years of our visits we stayed at the Trade Winds. We felt safe, and relaxed. Through Gary & Gail we learned what a wonderful commuinty it is & moved to the area when we retired. When our friends & family visit we always recomend the Trade Winds because of clean, nice, quiet rooms, close to the ocean at a great price. Thank you! D&M Brown.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tradewinds Motel? Share your experiences!