“Big Dropoff” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 127 Restaurants in Westerly
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Historic Shelter Harbor Inn was originally a 200 acre farm built around 1810. In 1911, the farmstead was purchased by a musician and established as a colony for musicians called Musiccolony. Over the years the farmhouse, barn & carriage house gradually transitioned into what is now a charming New England inn located in a serene setting of beautiful gardens and stone walls. The 24 guest room inn and restaurant offers comfort, relaxation, and good food in a warm and inviting atmosphere and is only minutes from local area attractions and our private beach in Weekapaug. Using only the freshest of season ingredients and a variety of cuisines, our chefs take pride in creating the inn's menus. The restored farmhouse boasts a tavern with a full service bar, several dining areas with fireplaces, a cozy library, private rooms, patios, and decks. Guests may enjoy good food and drink whether sitting by a fire, dining outside, or lounging by the rooftop hot tub.
Watch Hill, Rhode Island
“Big Dropoff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Been coming here for years for those special occasions and big family gatherings and had always left satisfied. Was a bit surprised to see some of these negative reviews but I must say I realized most of the same issues this past week. Where did all the fresh breads go? The server came out with two crusty rolls which I expect came out of a bag from Stop&Shop. Then the wine server came out to demonstrate to a trainee how to server wine, only to show the bottle and then turn to the trainee and say if it were a table of six I would present the wine but not for a table of two. She then proceeded to uncork and pour out wine for drinking for my wife -- no presenting the cork, no tasking ounce...really and she was training him to do what? Next the meal, same old menu except the "classics" are there in name but the prices have all increased. I was going to go with the filet mignon but opted for the caesar salad and the burger. The caesar was a good starter, but the burger was dry, and salty. The hazelnut chicken had none of the normal flavor we had been accustomed to. The hazelnut sauce tasted more like a Heinz gravy with out the hazelnut flavor. The chicken also appears pan fried and not the light breaded chicken of the past. They had also increased the price of the chicken entree from the $15-$18 to $24. We each ate a little more than half of the meal before losing interest. We did opt for a desert and went for the chocolate bomb. What we got was a one of those bon-bons you expect to get in a four-pak from the freezer section from Stop&Shop. Certainly nothing put together by the a chef from a kitchen. Too many other options around than to waste a special night at the Inn.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Stonington, Connecticut
“Awful Business Dinner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was in a group of 10 people for a business dinner. It took over 45 minutes to have our drink order taken. By the time food was ordered over an hour later, we were all starving. I had the short ribs with creamy polenta for dinner. The meat was completely dry and there was no sauce as promised. The polenta was glue-like, clumpy, and had no seasoning. There was two pieces of wilted cauliflower on an already white plate. For a $25 plate, the food had less flavor than most fast food restaurants. The service was mediocre at best, and it took so long to get food I left before dessert. I would never come here again, for a business dinner or otherwise.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Arkville, New York
“OK food - Long wait to get it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was restaurant week in Westerely - $15. three course lunch, $25. three course dinner. Interesting and creative sounding menu but the wait between courses was interminable so it colored our take on the food. My wife's Asian sesame chicken wrap had no Asian flavor at all. My fish taco was so-so. They told me it was made with salmon and Chilean sea bass. This usually cost $20. per pound and up. Now really. My daughter liked her crab and salmon cake. The flower vase on the table was a nice touch but the water was cloudy and slimy. Lunch took over an hour and a half just to get three dishes out. However, my Indian pudding was excellent as was my wife's creme brulee but my daughter hated her over intense raspberry sorbet.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Best breakfast around, along with lunch and dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our family has returned here for many years for the good value of both the Inn and the restaurant. We had blueberry muffin French toast which was delicious. Service is always excellent. The setting is very pretty with the outdoor seating and the flower garden. The rooms are lovely and comfortable. We always enjoy the roof top hot tub. The private beach is great, not too crowded, clean, and has lifeguards.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
“September wedding reception”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went here recently for a wedding reception, which was set up under a large, sturdy tent structure. They set up a sturdy dance floor in the middle (over the grass lawn), with tables set up on each side, open bar and buffet on one end and plenty of room for a band next to the dance floor. As a guest, I thought the room was set up well.

The bartenders were very cordial (no, not the liquor talking!) and attentive. Our friends mentioned that the Inn provided a very nice selection of options, and they were pleased with the quality. I would agree - the salmon and chicken dishes they selected were very good. I'm not big on the salmon, but others with whom I spoke raved about it. Our friends said they would recommend the Shelter Harbor Inn for any wedding.

• Visited September 2013