“Most Disgusting Hotel I Have Ever Been To” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Ocean View Motel
Save Saved
You added Ocean View Motel to your Saves list
140 Atlantic Ave., Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Westerly B&B and Inns
Providence, RI
“Most Disgusting Hotel I Have Ever Been To”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We came to visit RI for a wedding last weekend, and since we were on a budget, we decided to book a room at the Ocean View Motel. Big Mistake. We arrived to find some strange man sitting in the parking lot on a chair smoking a cigarette and glaring at us. "Check In" was nothing more than an uneasy encounter with a shady man that was the owner, janitor and "concierge".

I was quickly taken to the room so that I could check it out and be sure that it would accommodate us, and although the room was nasty from first glance, I have stayed in worse places and usually as long as I can shower or sleep, it doesn't matter to me as long as I am getting a good deal.

Within 5 minutes of unloading the car and entering the room, my allergies started to act up, and I got a massive headache. My only major allergy is mold, and it was apparent that this hotel was infested with it, as it was the only place I had a reaction since getting to the state days before. I thought that maybe if I took a shower with the stained towels I was provided with by the owner, it would help and make it better, but it did not. It also didn't help that the entire room wreaked of cigarette smoke from previous guests.

Feeling miserable after about a half hour, we decided to check the bed and see if it was clean, and to our surprise, when we pulled up the sheets and inspected the mattress we could see bed bugs infested in the hems of the fabric. Once we saw that we decided it was time to go.

We needed to make sure we could get another hotel room since this was a busy weekend in Westerly. We had no choice but to book at another hotel near the "Ocean House" at $300 a night, but you get what you pay for.

We drove back to the Ocean View Motel to report the problems to the owner, and he was quick to apologize and agree to issue us a full refund. We were pretty satisfied that he agreed to the refund, and we had no intentions on writing this review until the mail came today and we got a hand-written letter from him saying that after inspection of the room, he decided not to refund us the money because "the room had been used". I guess this guy considers "used" to mean checking for bed bugs, and taking a shower.

On a side note, the rooms do come with a working kitchen with a stove and refrigerator. We found half-eaten Chinese food in one of the drawers, along with fortune cookies. When you turned on the water in the bathroom sink, the pipes banged so loudly that it shook the whole room. When turning on the water to take a shower, I was squirted in the face by a stream that could only have happened from a clogged shower head. Also, I happen to be a skinny man, so if you are even slightly overweight, don't expect to fit in the shower at all. I could barely turn around myself, and I can't imagine someone with a few more pounds being able to.

I have slept in hostels in Europe, floors in Mexico, and even some of the crummiest motels in the world, and this is by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed. It's not even worth the $90 they charged us, but if you were to pay $30 then perhaps some people would disregard the filth and sleep in it. I would not.

As for our experience with being denied the refund after being told we would get one, now we are charging the funds back through our bank. Not only does this make it a hassle for us, but it will end up costing this motel more than if they had just refunded us because his credit card merchant has penalties for people having to make chargebacks.

Room Tip: Forget this hotel and go to the Ocean House. It's expensive, but its the price you need to pay t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
nicknac, Manager at Ocean View Motel, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Our policy remains that if your not happy with your accommodations upon arrival we will waive all fees. As a bussiness, we prefer all satisfied costomers. In this particular instance, it seemed a tad ambiguous because the parties of this complaint had held the room for a number of hours before complaining of allergies. However, assuming that the room had not yet been impacted and in keeping with our above stated policy we agreed to a full refund. Unfortunatly upon checking the room for re-renting it was found to be in need of a complete house keeping regement, and was in no way ready for re-rental until the following day. Had we not anticipated a reasonable person, with a reasonable request, this could have of been handled in person at that time, and perhaps some type of reasonable compromise could have been reached. But, in order to have a reasonable solution, one must first be reasonable.

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)

Been to Ocean View Motel? Share your experiences!