“Delightful Inn near Ocean Beaches” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shelter Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Shelter Harbor Inn
You added Shelter Harbor Inn to your Saves list
10 Wagner Road, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #10 of 14 Westerly B&B and Inns
boston
“Delightful Inn near Ocean Beaches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Delightful inn just off Rte 1 and close to a bunch of Westerly beaches. We had a nice, traditional bedroom where everything (almost) worked. Staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful - we were able to store our bikes in the maintenance shed out of the rain and they gave us good local information on beaches, ferries, restaurants, etc. Warning: meals are delicious and rich! I couldn’t resist the Crab Benedict (two eggs easy over crab cakes) every morning and dinner was very good as well. Cozy small bar for a pre-dinner drink and sunny porch to eat outside. The roof-top hot tub with chaise lounges, benches, tables and chairs is a bonus!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Southington, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

The rooms are OK and the atmosphere is decent but the price would lead you to believe it is much much nicer. A lot of these reviews are spot on. We also had a disaster of a check in like many others. It really is incomprehensible that they keep everything in binders that are labelled "Dining Room" and "Log Book" and are actually erasing things with a pencil instead of using computers! They didn't have my sister's reservation logged but somehow had her credit card number handy. My sister had reserved a room with 2 beds (rm 6) and we had to settled with a room with one bed and an air mattress (#23) instead because somehow her reservation was lost (gee, could it be the archaic system they use?!). The woman said we could switch to the room next door (24) for the following night which had 2 beds and followed with "we won't charge you for the upgrade." I'm sorry - WHAT upgrade?? She reserved room 6 because it has 2 beds! How about comping us for the inconvenience and mistake instead?! The next morning we went to the diningroom for breakfast and waited 20-25 minutes (we timed everything because it was an alarmingly long wait) just to get a menu! And even in that case I had to march out to the check in area and interrupt the owner (who was enjoying his breakfast at the desk) to tell him that we hadn't received a menu or coffee or anything yet. He got up and dropped a couple of menus off at the table and was on his merry way with no apologies or even an offer for some coffee (apparently only the wait staff knows how to pour coffee?!!). The dining area was barely half full and it was just couples who didn't seem to be in a hurry or demanding and yet the waitress (one of 2 wait staff) was running around like mad for some reason. I have no idea why she was so frazzled. Finally after about 10 more minutes she asked if anyone had waited on us and yet the answer couldn't have been more obvious. She said "I just have to get my pad, I'll be right back" Five full minutes later she was back (did she have to run to Staples for it?) and took our order. So I'd say we probably waited 45 minutes for the first sip of coffee and over an hour to take a bite of food. The waitress said "Sorry, it's just a little crazy here" and yet I can see with my own two eyes that it's completely manageable!!! I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. The waitress proceeded to be slightly rude upon asking us what room we were in (we tried to explain about switching and she did not want to be bothered with the explanation which she made very clear) and when we asked for the WiFi password she said she had no clue and told us to go ask the man at the front desk (wow, thanks for your help! And for making already annoyed customers even more so!). The service all around was a complete disaster. Their brochures were printed upside down and only available in the check in area - no info in your room at all. They had outdated phones, hair dryers that looked like a fire waiting to happen, curtains from the Golden Girls set, and a reservation system that would rival a hotel from the Flintstones! They all acted like Mr. Magoo - oblivious to all of this and therefore seeing no need to offer well deserved comps or even a mere apology.

Room Tip: Stay away from 23 and 24 because the beds back up to each other so if you get a snorer on one side o...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Westerly hotels

Rutland, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

Where do I begin? My sister and I stayed her here this past weekend and it was a nightmare from start to finish. I arrived first and attempted to check in. The woman at the desk couldn't find my reservation (which was made in May). I told her I had booked room 6 because it had 2 beds. She promptly told me "no, someone else is in room 6. Do you have your print out from the reservation?" I didn't have it as I assumed I wouldn't need it. Little did I know that they do not have a computerized reservation system! It's all written in a log book! She found a room that was available (only 1 bed but they could bring in an air mattress). I went to look at it and it was fine but then she had a "nicer" room and so I walked over and looked at that which was nicer although still only 1 bed. She then informed me that one wasn't "finished" so I couldn't have it but that she could give me the first one I looked at and wouldn't charge me an UPGRADE FEE! are you kidding me? I assumed I would be comped something for the inconvenience. So we had this room for the first night and then had to switch rooms to next door the next night since that had 2 beds.
Then on to the restaurant service. I almost have no words for the lack of service. It was atrocious, horrendous, horrible, awful - wait, I guess I do have words for it. We had to wait to get seated and once we were seated we had to wait a full 1/2 hour before getting a MENU! My sister finally went out to the front desk to alert them that we didn't even have a menu (nevermind that not one of the servers had come over to our table or given us coffee or anything) where he was happily eating his own big breakfast! We waited almost an entire hour before we finally got our breakfast (which was good but cardboard would've been good by that time). Both servers were running around like crazy the entire time but there were only maybe a total of 10 tables taken so i have no idea what the issue was! I also loved when we asked the waitress if she could give us the free wifi password while we waited and waited, she said she had no idea what it was and to go ask the front desk. ah, such accommodating service.
The inn had a very nice feel to it (although the rooms are extremely outdated) but it's so overshadowed by the lack of service that I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here this past Sunday and were overall unimpressed. We had room 23, which we chose because it was said to have nice views and a fireplace. The room smelled heavily of campfire smoke, it appeared that someone had pulled a partially burned log out of the fireplace and stuck it in the log holder for reuse. The bed was so old it caved into the middle and we could feel the springs from the mattress in our backs. The pillows were very lumpy. The curtains were obviously put up in 1980 and haven't been changed since The AC unit didn't take any of the humidity out, just blew ice cold air which made the room feel damn and chilly. The bathrooms were also very dated. We also had dusty cobwebs in the corners of the room. All in all it was an experience akin to staying at your grandmother's house. Everything was just plain old and tired/faded looking.

The biggest issue I had was the customer service. First of all, they don't have everything on the computer. In 2014 there is NO reason to be making reservations on a piece of lined paper. We got to watch the confusion first hand as the man at the desk tried to help someone figure out if a room was available or not and he couldn't answer because housekeeping apparently had the notebook with the info. We had a gift card and when we made the reservation we were told we could use the gift card toward the room but they needed a credit card for a deposit. When we checked in we again told them we had a gift card and the woman said we would be able to use it the following morning. In actuality the hotel makes you pay for the first night upfront, so if you're staying one night you pay for that room ahead of time (unlike most hotels where you use a credit card to "hold" the room then pay after your stay is complete). We tried to explain to the woman at check out what had happened and she said "I didn't make your reservation so I can't help what the person who took it told you." She did a terrible job explaining the policy and correcting the situation. Honestly she was just a total snob who was clearly looking down on us like we were some kind of white trash, probably because we were heading to the beach directly from the hotel so when we checked out we were wearing shorts and a tee shirt rather than dressier clothes.

Prior to the check out experience I was going to give the room a dated but probably ok for just 1 night rating, but after dealing with this woman I can honestly say I would never go back. THe worst part is they have no motivation to change...there are no Marriott or Hilton hotels in the area and I'm sure the old rooms and dated appearances are common in the area because short of renting a cottage these B&Bs are your only other option so they can charge $240/night and give you the same treatment you'd get at a Motel 6. Avoid this place at all costs, you'll have a better night on an air mattress in a camp ground than you would dealing with this place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bridgeport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a Sat and Sun night in August. Nice accommodations and grounds, the highlights of which were the rooftop hottub, beautiful ocean beach access, and delicious food. Our room was very small, but the large private balcony made up for that. The wall to one side was paper thin, had to bang on the wall and yell "Lower the TV" at 11:30pm for the neighbors to realize their TV was very loud( which they turned down). There are two areas/occurrences that I believe they could have improved on: first, on checking in there was no mention of breakfast being included free for each day: we did not know this, there were no written materials left for us stating this, and the receptionist did not mention it. I found out about it on the second day after reading a Trip Advisor review.Perhaps a welcoming package or brochure?
The other complaint is that at the one evening dinner we had there, my wife was delivered a liver entrée, rather than the lamb she had ordered. Well, mistakes happen, no big thing. However the lamb arrived 15 mins later( after I had finished my dish), severely undercooked; it had to be sent back. The final result was the lamb was very good, but at this point it was 25 mins after mine was served. I feel we should have at least been comped the couple of glasses of wine we had...or the complete dish....or a dessert... Nothing of the sort was done. So we tipped minimally....
All in all a nice stay and we will return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have been vacationing in this area for years but usually rent a house. This year we stayed at the Shelter Harbor Inn and loved it. My family of 5 stayed in rooms 19 and 20 in the barn and it was the perfect set up for us. We had 2 bedrooms and a large common room in between. There is also a beautiful deck outside with tables and chairs. The breakfast selections were excellent and we loved sitting outside on the patio in the morning. The front desk help was extremely cheery and helpful. I only gave them 4 stars because the decor is pretty tired. Otherwise its a great spot.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Warwick, RI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very bad experience, bad service, long wait for cold & uncooked food :-(
Manager offered free drinks, when they clearly saw my meal was undercooked & cold on arrival...... But I had to pay for something I didn't eat :-(

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Shelter Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!