“Inexpensive, basic but clean” 3 of 5 stars

Sand Dollar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   171 Post Road, Route 1, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Westerly
Fayetteville, Georgia
“Inexpensive, basic but clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Some of the reviews trashed this place. I had no issues with it. Sure, it's out of the way and short on frills. There's no breakfast and I never could connect with their wifi. But the room was clean, even the bathroom. The bed was firm and comfortable. No coffee maker, but there was a fridge. I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I attend a music festival in Charlestown for Labor Day weekend, and I have stayed in several hotels in the area over the years. Most are run down and expensive, and don't even offer a cup of coffee in the morning. While this place looks a little dumpy from the outside, our room was clean and pleasant, with a recent bathroom renovation. The manager and his wife were very nice, continental breakfast in the morning (you can take it to your room, or use the large dining table in a communal area.) and the price was right. Can't unclick the rating area below.....no pool, but it is near to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

They listed a visitor policy stating guests are allowed until 7pm and then kicked our guests out as soon as they arrived! The owners were spying on us from the moment we walked in and we weren't able to rest. It was very uncomfortable, the hotel was dirty and the owners were extremely rude. It was not worth the money. I don't recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012
Meriden, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Booked through Expedia. Included the two teenagers in our booking, only to find we needed to pay an additional $25.00 per child when we arrived. Owner refused to back down for quite some time and then eventually agreed to a total of $25.00 extra for the two children. We were too exhausted to argue further. I can't even begin to describe the decor. Truly, it is the Bates Motel minus Norman. This place should come with a free therapy session upon checkout. I still envision the place when I close my eyes at night. I can't escape the horror. I post here only in the hopes I can save just one person from experiencing The Sand Dollar Inn. Even the marigolds outside the place are hanging their heads in shame.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
baroda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

otherwise many hotels are budget hotels in the world but unique management to say guest first

I strongly recommend this as a budget hotel

Room Tip: i do not comment on swimming pool or place as spa but as a budget hotel it an excellent place for...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Leominster, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My title can be deceiving so don't jump to any conclusions too quickly. The surprize had nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel is nothing to write home about and it really isn't a hotel. It is more like a motel. It is a good place if you have no other options and are willing to pay $125 a night for a place with no amenities other than air-conditioning and an old t.v. I had not clue that there was coffee available until the day I left. That could have been my fault, I didn't see any documentation that spelled that out and the coffee station was hidden in the back, so it was not visible when you entered the main office. The sheets were questionable. When I pulled the sheet down, there was some hair, which could have been the maids, which had fallen when changing the sheets (I hope it was anyway). Once I asked for maid service, the sheets smelled cleaner and the hair was gone. It is also worth noting that the towel rack was coming out of the wall and one of the lamps had a light bulb out. I don't want to sound too picky, but again $125 a night!! Now in regards to the title, "Surprized". The surprize was more for HOTELS.COM. When I called HOTELS.COM, The assistant lead me to believe that there was nothing available in the area and suggested I book this room now, or I would probably lose it. When I arrived I was 1 of two cars parked in the parking lot. During my stay maybe two other rooms were occupied. The lot remained pretty empty for the two nights I stayed there. Down the street a hotel with a built in pool was advertizing rooms for $75 a night, $50 less than what I was paying. It too was vacant the whole time of my stay. As I explored the area, I discovered many hotels were vacant, contrary to what HOTELS.COM lead me to believe. Needless to say, I think I got rooked. The question now is weather, when traveling local, I simply go to the area and discover for myself what is available, or simply try another online travel service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Waterbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My friends and I decided to stay here because it was cheap and it said it was close to the beach. This was by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed at. There were bugs all over and it smelled horrible. My biggest complaint is the owners. They are beyond RUDE. We had a few friends come up to go to the beach and she was questioning our every move as to why they were there. What motel won't let you have quests after 7p.m. ?? She went out of her way to write a note and tape it to our door stating that we can't have anyone else in our room. The owner then continued watching us like a hawk for the rest of the night. Defiantly spend a few extra dollars and stay somewhere else its not worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sand Dollar Inn? Share your experiences!