“The mold reviews are true” 2 of 5 stars

Sand Dollar Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   171 Post Road, Route 1, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #14 of 15 hotels in Westerly
Hartford, CT
“The mold reviews are true”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night during the 4th of July holiday, we just drove down to Misquamicut without any reservations and knew we were going to stay in a cheap hotel. As soon as I walked into the room, the stench hit me- MOLD. It was really overpowering. I'm sure it came from several different sources, but one source for sure was the mini-fridge- it had green mold growing in the freezer section. I wish I had taken a pic! Besides the smell, the bed felt like a waterbed, every time my husband moved, I got bounced around, and the pillows were lumpy. Other than all that, it was fine. It was very quiet, that was probably the best thing about it. Oh, and the room with the king-sized bed is super tiny, not sure about the ones with 2 double beds.

Room Tip: If you're allergic to mold- move on.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here because we thought it was cheap and only a couple miles from the beach. The workers were so rude when we first arrived, the rooms were gross, there was beetles crawling all over, it smelled awful, and there was no bathtub. Also friends came to the beach to visit so we had them back to the motel to change and shower and got told there were no guest after 7:00 or they would be charged 20$ each. Never will i ever stay here again. They should be shut down for good. If your considering it run the other way. Pay the extra money for a hotel on the beach it is so worth it!

• Stayed July 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Booked a room online for a one night stay. I have a medical condition that is magnified by the presence of mold. As soon as I walked into our room, my condition worsened. I am allergic to mold. Seems they just painted over it instead of treating it. Management refused to return my $120. Poor business ethics. Do yourself a favor: DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My family and I (spouse and infant daughter) were looking for an inexpensive place to stay so we could visit a hospitalized relative. We needed something basic, as we didn't have a lot of $$ for the last-minute trip but weren't willing to compromise on cleanliness. We reserved here through their website, and couldn't have been happier.

This is an older motel, so the buildings and rooms look older and the rooms are not very large, but the public areas and our room (#23) were sparkling clean, the beds were comfortable, and there were no bugs or unpleasant odors of cigarettes, damp, etc. However, I did learn that the motel has 2 designated 'smoking' rooms for guests who refuse to go without, and those presumably do smell of cigarettes. I wouldn't have been willing to stay in them even before I started new-mom worrying about my baby's lungs, but they weren't full enough for this to be an issue).

The location was perfect for us: the motel is only a few miles from the hospital, is on a major road so is easy to find, and is set back (unlike 2 other motels on this road) so that there are no noises and you can't actually see the road from your room. It is not within walking distance of either town or beach, though, so others may find that inconvenient. Finally, the owner/manager was very nice to us -- let us check in early, upgraded us to a room with a larger bed once she saw we had a baby with us, and when we had to shorten our trip unexpectedly didn't charge us the clearly posted cancellation fee.

If you want a hotel where you hang out in your room all day, where you can walk to the beach, or can pop downstairs for dinner or a spa visit, this isn't the hotel for you. But if you just need someplace clean and comfortable for you and your family to have an affordable trip, you couldn't do better.

Hope these details are helpful!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

we were lucky because we had a heavily scented candle with us to mask the musky odor of the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We greatly enjoyed our stay. We stay for a week every August. It's quiet, clean, very comforable. I recommend Sand Dollar to my friends and co-workers.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Amherst, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

From check in to check out i had nothing but bad experiences. the check in lady/manager was unfriendly and unprofessional. I booked through hotels.com and when i checked in she did not enter the confirmation number that I gave her then she claimed that hotels.com did not send her any information about my reservation. now I am getting charged twice for one terrible night in this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone under any circumstances

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sand Dollar Inn? Share your experiences!