“You've got to read this....3 strikes in this game.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Providence Coventry

You added Residence Inn Providence Coventry to your Saves list
Residence Inn Providence Coventry
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   725 Centre of New England Blvd, West Greenwich, RI 02817   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Greenwich
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New England
“You've got to read this....3 strikes in this game.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This review is unavoidably a little lengthy but worth reading. I rate this place only "average" due to being an alleged upscale extended stay facility therefore it should be nicer than the bargain brands. Here's the story of our stay:

Strike 1 - I'm a rewards member and reserved a room on Marriott's website (not a booking engine) and requested a quiet room away from the highway noise. We called ahead and was told it was ok to check in early but was assigned a room right next to the highway. I had an appointment to keep so I could not take the time to switch and hoped for the best but the traffic noise turned out to be very intrusive. Note: bring your earplugs to sleep.

Strike 2 - Breakfast is only avg in quality. I went down early and my toast burned a little so to be polite, I turned to Tina (the breakfast matron) and apologized for the smell, she then snapped at her helper to put tape over the control knob so people won't burn their toast - nodding rudely towards me (fate turns on her soon, keep reading). Later my wife and I went down for b'fast and I went for the oatmeal but they had the wrong kind of spoon (too short w/ no handle) and it was hot so I had to use a napkin to pick it up. TIna was next to me scraping some burned waffle off the iron so I quipped that in additon to waffles and toast burning, the oatmeal ladle was too hot to handle. Without a word she stormed off and returned with a larger ladle then literally yanked the spoon out of my hand in mid-scoop (spilling my oatmeal) and shoved the new spoon in front of me so I told her that action was rude and started to walk away. Tina immediately called to her manager and stated loudly in front of other guests "this man wants to talk to you" which I certainly did not. After telling them both that I was a guest and not an employee and to not treat me so rudely, Tina then stormed away...whatever. Soon the waffle iron started to smoke since it was never unplugged and Tina was too worked up to notice so the main Smoke Alarm went off and the entire hotel had to be evacuated, interrupting everyones breakfast until the fired department showed up - all due to the bossy breakfast matron being adversarial with a guest for no reason except possibly having a bad day.

Strike 3 - We bought some local crabs and lobsters with the intent to steam them in the room. We soon realized that the pans supplied did not work on the convection cooktop so I called the front desk to get new pans. They could not help except to offer their kitchen facilities. Picture this, we're relaxing with a chardonnay, ready to have a good evening when we have to bundle up everything and trek downstairs to use a huge commercial stove, stand around while it cooked, then carry the food back upstairs to eat, then bring the pans back downstairs, then do the dishes and then put them away. This was relaxing whatsoever but the food did get cooked....I mean after all, whaddaya expect, it's not the Hilton y'know!!

Days later we can only laugh about the stay at this place. One other thing if you go, the shower curtain is too short for the curved rod so it does not stay in the tub and water splashes out so be careful not to fall like me wife did, bruises resulting

Good luck.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the highway side, too much noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Residence Inn Providence Coventry, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel just recently. Let me start by saying sorry, and that I am embarrassed by the experience you had. The service at breakfast is not the service I aim for. I try to aim much higher. I will be sharing your comments with the rest of the staff, especially the breakfast hostess on the weekends. Your account of that weekend will be used as a training tool in hopes of preventing this from happening again.

Again, my most sincere apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

comfortable room layout, everything very clean and modern looking. the kitchen was stocked with all the necessary dishes, pans, utensils,etc. everyone at front desk very friendly and helpful with directions, suggestions for activities. love the blackout drapes, bedding looked new and fresh as did the towels.
Convenient location, it's in commercial area with stores and restaurants but the hotel itself is pretty quiet. The rooms in the back of the hotel have some highway noise but it's not bad! AC is a little noisy in the room, not sure if it was just our room or every room, forgot to mention it to front desk. Pool looked nice but we didn't have time to take a dip.. maybe next time?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I am happy you found your stay an enjoyable one. I do apologize that the A/C and Highway noise may have been a bit too much. We hope you will visit us again when staying in the area.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel was nice and clean and the staff was friendly.
Breakfast was nice. A lot of variety. Waffles, eggs, potatoes, cereal, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruit.
It was a very nice place. Across the street from Walmart, some restaurants like Applebees, Dunkin Donuts etc.
Enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you will choose us again in the future.
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We live in the area but it was 2 days before school was to start and my girls wanted to swim - a lot. So with my husband (and the dog) away hunting we decided to go to this hotel - basically to use the pool. I've stayed here in the past and enjoyed it so I thought it was a good idea to return.
We were there to check in around 3:00 PM. I stood in what I thought was a line but I guess it looked like we were members of the party of the gentlemen checking in because we were given no attention or acknowledgement from the 2 front desk employees as we stood waiting for someone to even give us even eye contact. When the gentlemen was finished the clerk asked if I needed help, then the other clerk realized she should have asked me before and she apologized. Once I started the check in it was quick and easy.
My 2 girls and I stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 4th floor. It appeared neat and clean. The girls were to sleep on the king bed and I took the couch. I found all the bedding for the couch except the pillow - so I borrowed one from the bed.
We had a bite to eat first, buying food from the market which we made in the kitchen. I prepared the girls meals and had just sat down to start my own when I heard the fire alarm going off. I grabbed my purse and told the girls to follow me. We walked to the stairs and went down to the front of the building. The local fire crew, ambulance and police all showed up. My daughters were quite alarmed. We waited outside for about 1/2 an hour then noticed people going back in. It looked like something in the market area had caused the problem - the next day we were told it was the freezer unit in there. It had started smoking. I thought it strange that there was no communication - at the time - with guests about what caused the problem. I would have liked to ease my daughters' concerns about what was happening. I told them basically what I thought and tried to settle their worry but it would have been nice for them to tell us as we entered the building.
We went back up and finished our meals then went to the pool. We were alone in there upon entry. There were plenty of towels and the area looked clean. My main beef with this pool is there is no restroom within the pool area. You have to leave the pool area and go back and use the lobby bathroom. Of course this happened a couple of times with young kids. Not fun walking through the lobby in a dripping wet bathing suit.
Also, the next morning we went to the pool after breakfast to find a different looking area. No clean towels but plenty of dirty ones scattered about. It was 9:00 AM, I would have thought the area could have been maintained sooner.
All in all it was worth the money spent but we will try another hotel next time - basically because of the restroom issue with the pool, it's a pain with kids.
It's a pretty hotel with a modern look. Free breakfast, parking and internet are nice touches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay here in August. I do take these reviews serious and will be sharing them with the staff. I do hope you will use us again in the future.
spring valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

On route to northern New England we crashed out here over night. Nice beds, kitchen area etc. Just was missing glasses by bathroom sink for brushing your teeth. Cozy suite. Clean. Friendly staff. Right off the highway which after a long drive was appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I also appreciate your positive feedback. Due to hotel having full kitchens we do not put glasses by the bathroom sink, we keep them in the kitchen. I will have to rethink that approach and thank you for bringing this inconvenience to my attention.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have been coming quite regularly to RI and have stayed at this hotel number of times. We got upgraded to 2 B/R suite and really appreciate Michael for this!!

Overall we enjoyed the hotel and all the amenities but housekeeping needs some improvement as hotel is not as clean as it used to be and there were many times when our room was not cleaned properly and I am hoping somone will take action on the housekeeping front!!

Overall it is a great hotel!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Residence Inn Providence Coventry, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your kind words as well as the constructive comments regarding the overall housekeeping. I have shared your thoughts with the staff in hopes to serve you and other guests better in the future. I hope you will stay with us and marriott again in again in the future.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel was the best. I was visiting Rhode Island with friends and couldn't have found a nicer place and location. This place was spotless. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room (2 bedroom/2 bath - highly recommended) was one of the nicest I have ever seen. It was modern, spacious and well-furnished. It was perfectly located for visiting Providence and Newport! A big thank you to the staff for an awesome experience and will be sure to return and/or recommend to friends visiting the area....

Room Tip: "2 bed/2 bath suite worth the extra money.....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Michael C, General Manager at Residence Inn Providence Coventry, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments about our hotel and your stay. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Been to Residence Inn Providence Coventry? Share your experiences!