This review is unavoidably a little lengthy but worth reading. I rate this place only "average" due to being an alleged upscale extended stay facility therefore it should be nicer than the bargain brands. Here's the story of our stay:
Strike 1 - I'm a rewards member and reserved a room on Marriott's website (not a booking engine) and requested a quiet room away from the highway noise. We called ahead and was told it was ok to check in early but was assigned a room right next to the highway. I had an appointment to keep so I could not take the time to switch and hoped for the best but the traffic noise turned out to be very intrusive. Note: bring your earplugs to sleep.
Strike 2 - Breakfast is only avg in quality. I went down early and my toast burned a little so to be polite, I turned to Tina (the breakfast matron) and apologized for the smell, she then snapped at her helper to put tape over the control knob so people won't burn their toast - nodding rudely towards me (fate turns on her soon, keep reading). Later my wife and I went down for b'fast and I went for the oatmeal but they had the wrong kind of spoon (too short w/ no handle) and it was hot so I had to use a napkin to pick it up. TIna was next to me scraping some burned waffle off the iron so I quipped that in additon to waffles and toast burning, the oatmeal ladle was too hot to handle. Without a word she stormed off and returned with a larger ladle then literally yanked the spoon out of my hand in mid-scoop (spilling my oatmeal) and shoved the new spoon in front of me so I told her that action was rude and started to walk away. Tina immediately called to her manager and stated loudly in front of other guests "this man wants to talk to you" which I certainly did not. After telling them both that I was a guest and not an employee and to not treat me so rudely, Tina then stormed away...whatever. Soon the waffle iron started to smoke since it was never unplugged and Tina was too worked up to notice so the main Smoke Alarm went off and the entire hotel had to be evacuated, interrupting everyones breakfast until the fired department showed up - all due to the bossy breakfast matron being adversarial with a guest for no reason except possibly having a bad day.
Strike 3 - We bought some local crabs and lobsters with the intent to steam them in the room. We soon realized that the pans supplied did not work on the convection cooktop so I called the front desk to get new pans. They could not help except to offer their kitchen facilities. Picture this, we're relaxing with a chardonnay, ready to have a good evening when we have to bundle up everything and trek downstairs to use a huge commercial stove, stand around while it cooked, then carry the food back upstairs to eat, then bring the pans back downstairs, then do the dishes and then put them away. This was relaxing whatsoever but the food did get cooked....I mean after all, whaddaya expect, it's not the Hilton y'know!!
Days later we can only laugh about the stay at this place. One other thing if you go, the shower curtain is too short for the curved rod so it does not stay in the tub and water splashes out so be careful not to fall like me wife did, bruises resulting
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly opened and ideally located, the Residence Inn Providence Coventry is a smart choice for extended stays, business trips, relocation and leisure visits. Minutes from TF Green Airport, Downtown Providence and Newport the hotel is within easy reach of major corporations such as Amgen, APC, MetLife, Fujifilm, and GTECH ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Marriott so you can book your Residence Inn Providence Coventry reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Providence Coventry Hotel West Greenwich
- West Greenwich Marriott
- West Greenwich Residence Inn