“WAYYYY overpriced for what it is!” 1 of 5 stars

Watch Hill Inn
38-44 Bay St, Watch Hill, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Watch Hill
Haverford, Pennsylvania
“WAYYYY overpriced for what it is!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

I decided to book an overnight here despite reading a review that noted that it was overpriced and overrated, my daughter having been invited last minute to Taylor Swift event around the corner. I wishI had listened to the cautionary tale! This is no Ocean House, despite the affiliation. I wasn't even able to check in at Watch Hill location, having been instructed to check in at Ocean House, a car drive away. This basis of comparison made the stay even more painful. Ocean House is spectacular. Watch Hill in is basically a incredibly overpriced beach front MOTEL with some reasonable claims to stylish contemporary interior design - sorry no minibar, no access to dining facilities, no spa, no beachfront access or ANYTHING beyond a motel parking lot included. You even have to go outside to get to the continental breakfast offerings where you will not find a table to at which to sit and eat. Don't be a fool. I have never been so angry and have stayed at many a 800/night room in many cities and countries and have experienced total satisfaction. You can pay a couple hundred more and experience real luxury at Ocean House or drive a couple minutes to Mystic and miss absolutely nothing except excess bitterness and disappointment. They didn't even ask me at check out how my stay was - curious, eh??? And please note I had to drive to Ocean House to check out. I didn't offer my assessment for them, as I gather they have heard it before, but I'm giving it to you. Please take heed. Unbelievable!!!!

Room Tip: Dot book room here
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2014
Dear ellen d,

I regret that your stay was not all you had hoped for. As a villa property, Watch Hill Inn offers additional accommodations that are an extension of what is offered at Ocean House. As such, we do not have a spa, a gym or dining facilities on property as it is just the villas, but all guests do indeed have access to all of those amenities at Ocean House, including a private beach. Our website is very forthcoming in this respect, as we do want all guests to know that if they desire room service direct access to spa, dining outlets or the beach, these accommodations may not be the best suited for them. The reason we do not have minibars in each room like we do at Ocean House is that you are able to get snacks and drinks in the reception area as often as you like – this way they are always accessible and you need not wait for your next housekeeping service to be replenished. While we do have some seating in the reception area, most guests tend to take their breakfast back to their kitchens or out to their terraces as we have seen this to be the preference. I apologize though that you did wish to each in the reception area and were unable to find a seat. Lastly, I must apologize for the confusion upon your check out as it is not necessary to go back up to Ocean House upon your departure. We do appreciate your assessment and will keep all your feedback in mind for improving upon our services.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rye, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband, two young kids and I stayed here in August and absolutely loved it. We have stayed at the Ocean House three times before, but the Watch Hill Inn was a better choice for our family. We had much more room for around the same price and all the access to the beautiful Ocean House. I completely disagree with the previous reviews about spotty service -- ours was first class, same as the Ocean House. Our kids loved being able to swim at the Ocean House beach during the day, then walk back to our two bedroom apartment at the Watch Hill Inn and head to the Carousel in the afternoon. We loved being able to have a fabulous lunch on the beach and use the gym and spa for a break. Just an unbeatable experience for families.

Watch Hill is a gem. Some of the most beautiful beaches on the East Coast and none of the scene that goes along with many of them. Watch Hill Inn and Ocean House are superbly executed.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2014
Dear NandSMom,

I am so pleased that you and your family had such a wonderful vacation! Our two bedroom suites truly are the perfect option for families as the space in those suites is simply unbeatable. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind thoughts, I could not be happier that you enjoyed your first summer at the Inn and I hope we’ll see your family back next year!

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2014

The staff was wonderful, lots of amenities. Brand new suites that are decorated so beautifully you'll never want to go home. Nothing beats drinking your morning coffee on the balcony watching the boats in the harbor.

Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2014
Dear dmiko5,

We are truly fortunate to have such a beautiful and enchanting setting, right in the heart of Watch Hill. We do our best to embrace to beauty and serenity of our surroundings, and I am so glad that you felt that through our staff, accommodations and amenities. Thank you so much for celebrating our first summer with us and I look forward to seeing you again!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I visited the newly renovated Watch Hill Inn last week for the first time, and I can say with complete confidence that it will not be my last visit! While I was only able to stay for a few nights (I would have gladly stayed much longer!), I got the pampering and relaxation I needed before the end of summer. The staff at Watch Hill Inn was wonderful and definitely a big factor in making my stay so pleasant. While an assortment of refreshments are available all day long in the reception area (as well as a continental breakfast each morning, sweets in the afternoon and a selection of beer and wine in the evenings) my personal favorite, tomato juice, was not something they kept stocked. However, when I mentioned this to the young man in reception, Alex, he immediately arranged to have some brought down from Ocean House and made sure he kept it stocked throughout the remainder of my stay. This is definitely a level of service you do not come across at all hotels. While the staff was lovely, the accommodations were equally as charming. The décor was modern and sophisticated and the amenities in each suite showed great thought, as there wasn’t much they forgot! The only thing I noticed that I would have liked to have had in my suite was a makeup mirror, and when I offered this suggestion to the staff, they were very appreciative and receptive to my feedback. This Inn is a great addition to the Watch Hill community as a villa property of Ocean House and I will certainly be recommending it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3201, an end unit with a beautiful view of the sunset.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed your first stay and that there will be many more stays to come! We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful staff, such as Alex who truly takes pride in what he does. We all look forward to your return and we will be sure to have some tomato juice ready and waiting for you!

Norwalk, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The poor sister of the Ocean House, this inn claims to meet the same standards but falls embarrassingly short. On the plus side, guests at the inn have amenity privileges at the Ocean House, not the least of which is extraordinary beach with all imaginable comforts and services. The Ocean House grounds are breathtaking and the staff is well trained. At the inn the rooms are large, clean, and adequately appointed. Some nice amenities included at the inn are Apple TV with free Netflix, Apple iPad mini, Sonos entertainment system, a small but full kitchen and complimentarty afternoon tea time followed by complimentary early evening wine tasting.
On the minus side the room decor is bland, the floors transmit every footstep taken by your neighbors above and the AC unit blows hot air into the balcony seating. The views from most of the rooms include a slice of the boats in the harbor but that is overwhelmed by the foreground of a massive gravel parking lot and the rear of the Bay Street buildings. We arrived at noon knowing our room would not be ready until 4:00 PM. We were allowed to park but the bellman refused to take our bags from the car until our room was ready. We left the premises and walked around town and the beach until we received a text message indicating the room was ready. When we returned on foot we could find no signs directing us to an entry. We finally figured out that we needed to walk up a steep, uninviting auto ramp to get into the complex but once we were on the grounds there were no signs or other indication leading us to the well hidden reception area which was ultimately through a doorway, down a hallway, up a stairway and in another hallway. While we were searching we phoned the inn but the call went to the main desk at the Ocean House instead. They were unable to explain the complex directions to reception. When we finally found reception and checked in we found the staff to be sincere and well-meaning bu green and awkward in their ill fitted uniforms. It was as if they were playing dress up. One selling point is that guests at the inn have full use of the amenities at the Ocean House and the web page for the inn features a photo of the Watch Hill in directly in front of Ocean House. In reality there are several properties between and to compound this distance one needs to walk DOWN the hill from the inn, then circle around and walk back UP the hill to Ocean House.
None of the above would be terrible except when taken in light of the rates. The in-season rates here suggest top-of-the-line. We've traveled world-wide and stayed at some of the highest rated hotels in the world but never paid a steeper nightly rate ($950). We therefore thought we were buying a Rolls Royce but they delivered a Chevy.

Room Tip: It appears the rooms in the building to the left as you face it from the road are better than the ri...
Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
I am sorry for the confusion upon your arrival. Typically we like to escort guests from the Ocean House upon arrival to acclimate them to the property, unless they request to go by themselves in cases like yours when they arrive early and want to start enjoying the offerings at Ocean House or the village of Watch Hill. While the Inn is only a short walk down the hill from Ocean House, we always are happy to provide transportation to and from the resort with the use of our gem car upon request.

While the Watch Hill Inn does indeed evoke a much more modern, minimalist feel than Ocean House, this was by design as we want to provide an option to suit all tastes. Between the elegant Ocean House, down-to-earth Weekapaug Inna and the contemporary Watch Hill Inn, all three properties have very distinct personalities as to better encompass preferences of a wider group of people. While our rates do align with other seaside resorts in New England, we find that many people are drawn to the Inn as an economical alternative to Ocean House as at the Inn you get a full suite, complete with a kitchen and sleeping accommodates for a family, at the same rate as a Standard Queen room up the hill.

I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and want to assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration as we, especially as a new property, are always looking to improve upon ourselves and our services.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I just arrived home from our 5 days at the Watch Hill Inn with my husband, parents, 2 year old twins & nanny. We chose the Penthouse Suite (Room 3313) because it had 4 bedrooms - the perfect setup for our group. I was looking forward to our vacation all summer. We have stayed in Relais & Châteaux hotels all over the world and mark many of them among our favorites. Before our arrival, I found the correspondence with the hotel to be extremely difficult (examples: long hold time, slow response to emails & truly unwilling to meet demands). I requested to be allowed in to the room an hour or 2 early so that my children could take their nap. The answers were all over the place as to why we couldn't be allowed in to the room early but they finally told us they would call if the room would be ready. No one called but when we showed up they did allow us in early - which could have saved us a little aggravation but this was just the beginning. When I booked and when I spoke to the hotel to confirm, I asked where to check in. I was told I had to check in at the Ocean House. Of course when I arrived, they told me I had to check in at the Watch Hill Inn. I then went down to the Inn to checkin. This was a very brief process and I was given little to no information but was given my 2 room keys and was led to my room. When I booked the hotel, I was told that we would have all the amenities they have at the main house. Again, this was not the case. I called to order room service for the kids and the nanny when we were heading out to dinner, I was told there was no room service available for the WHI. After numerous heated calls to the main house, I was then brought a menu and told that they allow room service for "special guests". Also, when booking, I was told there were golf carts readily available to be transported back and forth to the main house. I saw the driver the first day only and literally never saw him again for the length of our stay. Once I got the kids settled, I called to ask for additional room keys and was told they would get back to me. I never heard back so I called the next day. Then I went to office and was told someone would bring an additional set by. No one came. I called again on my 3rd day... And again, I was told someone would bring them to the room. This is not an unreasonable request considering it's a 4 bedroom suite with 7 occupants. The room itself was well appointed with HUGE windows & a large deck overlooking the bay. On the deck was a table, benches and chairs and 2 chaise lounges. The trellis had come down and was sitting on the deck for the length of our time there. There were 2 umbrellas also on the ground & one of the chaises was broken - just to show you how little care is taken even with their "penthouse". On day 3, I called to order a cheese pizza for the kids. I was told they would look in to it and get back to me. After a half hour, I called again and was told she was checking with the chef and would call me back (a cheese pizza at a kid friendly hotel is clearly not an unusual request). NO ONE CALLED BACK AT ALL! I ordered pizza from a delivery place in town! That same afternoon, I called for a bottle opener and was told someone would bring one to our room. My husband went to the concierge room and had them open our bottle in the meantime (mind you, the penthouse suite has a very large wine bar with no opener). When we arrived home from dinner, still no opener, so we went up to the main house for an opener. Around 11 o'clock that night, we finally heard a knock at the door, someone finally brought an opener requested 7 hours early and let me know that there are no additional keys for our room and that a manager would come speak to us the next day about our displeasure with the service. I know this will shock you, NO ONE CALLED OR CAME THE NEXT DAY! In addition, when I went up to the main house the first day, the key to open doors and allow beach access did not work. I brought it to the front desk and was told I had kept it too close to my cell phone. They supposedly fixed it. Day 2 I was unable to enter the grounds and went to the front desk and was told I needed a DAILY beach pass and was given one and told that I should come each day to get passes for our group. I came again the next day and was given day passes again. The next day when I spoke to front desk, I complained that it was a pain coming each day to the desk and they said "we can program them for the entire length of your stay". That would have been nice to know from the beginning... In addition, we have a large stroller and each day we were given different routes that would supposedly avoid stairs to get down to the beach. During one particular adventure, we took 3 different elevators and in the end had to carry the stroller down a full flight of stairs. We have traveled extensively with our kids and at every hotel we have stayed in, staff usually run to help us with it... No one helped here, EVER! The AC in the master bedroom was not working on the first day, we called to have it fixed. They brought a portable AC unit in the first night and said they would be back to fix the actual unit. No one ever came. And the large portable unit atop of some sheets on the floor, stayed in the master suite for the length of our stay. Every time we asked a question, both at the main house or at the Inn, we were given a different answer. When I say customer service is nonexistent, I mean it, both at the Watch Hill Inn and at Ocean House. Even upon checkout, I was not asked about my stay or if there were any issues. I can truly say that this very beautiful hotel truly had the most appalling service of any resort I have ever stayed in. It's heartbreaking because I really wanted to love it.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
I apologize for some of the frustrations you experienced during your stay. As a villa property of the Ocean House, it is procedure to first check in at Ocean House (so that you can get acclimated with the property and the offerings available to you there) and then be escorted down to the Inn so that our staff may show you to your room. While we can never guarantee early check-ins, we do our best to accommodate them as the staff told you; however, in August at a seaside resort, I'm afraid it is a challenge to have rooms available early, and for this reason we welcome all guest to utilize all the services at either Ocean House or Weekapaug Inn until their room is ready. That said, I am so happy we were able to get you into your suite a full two hours prior to our standard check-in time, and while we could not promise this to you in advance (as the Penthouse Suite is our biggest suite and requires a good amount of time to prepare for guests) our team worked very diligently to be able to accommodate your request following the departure of our previous guests. Currently, as a villa property WITH NO RESTAURANT, we do not offer room service and attempted to make exceptions for you and your family – I regret that this experience was less than seamless, as it was indeed something new for our staff. All of your comments and feedback will be very helpful as we prepare to look ahead to our second season next summer and reevaluate the things that both worked and need improvement.

Gales Ferry, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

From the moment we arrived to the Grand Ocean House we just fell in love. Did our pre-registration with a very nice gentleman named Louis who offered us a bubbly glass of champagne. He then introduced my husband and myself to the Ocean House property. It was just so lovely. Then we proceeded to drive our car to the Watch Hill Inn along with an escort. Once again we were greeted by a extremely pleasant young man named Alex who also offered us another glass of bubbly champagne. He gave us the choice to pick the fragrance of our shampoo, conditioner and bath gel which I saved because the bar soap on the sink was to die for too, so we use that one for our short stay.

Alex explained how guests have access to snacks and sodas as well as the hours of continental breakfast, afternoon treats and beer and wine reception which we had the chance to enjoy. Then he escorted us to our room. I was in awe when we entered the room, I was ready to move right in...it felt like home. He explained all the features, how the Apple TV worked, the nespresso machine (which we loved) we had fresh fruits in the refrigerator. We had an amazing terrace with, what is categorized as a partial water view, but I could see much more than what I was expecting. We had the most amazing sunset view. Every detail in the room is just perfect. The bed extremely comfortable, with a nice tv. Bathroom was so comfy, oversized tub with glass doors and the living room made you feel like at home, i loved the feel of it. It had this modern "oceany" decor that transported me right into my wonderful surroundings. The kitchen was the right size for the room.

Our overall experience; much more than what we expected. Can't wait to return for a longer stay. My gratitude to everyone that made our experience an unforgettable one. From beginning to end it was just amazing.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda T, Manager at Watch Hill Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
I am so pleased your expectations were exceeded and you had a wonderful visit. Your kind words are truly a testament of our wonderful staff and the pride they take in their jobs. The gratitude is all owed to you for choosing to spent your precious vacation time with us and we all to look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Manager

Been to Watch Hill Inn? Share your experiences!