“Perfect peace in a luxurious setting” 5 of 5 stars

The Ocean House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Bluff Avenue, Watch Hill, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Watch Hill
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect peace in a luxurious setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Two days spent here for a small conference. A blissful setting, amazingly well appointed rooms, terrific food, bar, ambience and staff but didn't get a chance to try the other amenities sadly. The beach is beautiful and wild and is no doubt amazing in warm weather but was still fabulous to walk on in late October. The cleanliness was flawless, the bedrooms and bathrooms were impeccable and attention to detail is top notch. I can't recommend this place highly enough. Felt truly spoiled and will go back, either on business or for pleasure, if I can.

Room Tip: Balconies are worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
It sounds like another visit is in order so that you can take advantage of all our amenities and visit the beach in the warmer weather! Thank you so much for your glowing review and we do hope to see you back for a vacation.

President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

The. Ocean House at Watch Hill is a spectacular designed house with a great view of the Atlantic. Parking is complimentary (truly ) and the staff is old world, kind. The restaurant is another story. We had reservations for 1:30 and were seated promptly. Quickly we were served sparkling water, 20 minutes later bread, another 10 minutes the wine list, 5 more minutes the wrong wine, another 10 minutes, the correct wine and the order taken, 10 minutes another confirmation of our order, 15 minutes the order arrived but overdone. Coffee arrived shortly after ordering.
The Harp music in the lounge was a relaxing finish to a long meal on a quiet anniversary lunch.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. Please know that we a truly sorry for the issues you experienced during your meal and your feedback is a critical tool in helping us improve our service and better train our staff. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and redeem ourselves with a level of much higher service.

Oakdale, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We celebrated our daughters 40th birthday with a family gathering for the Sunday brunch. It was fabulous and I am planning a return trip before the end of the year. Everyone was attentive and explained very detail. It was a bit overwhelming as a first time guest but we were well taken care of. The food, presentation, and waitstaff were excellent. The next visit we will pace differently so we can enjoy our time there even more.

We had our 6 month old grandson and he was flirting with several of the guests or was it the other way around? Our day was complete when we took pictures on the porch with the beautiful ocean in the background.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
I am so pleased you enjoyed your first visit to Ocean House and saying you’ll be coming back is the best compliment we could ask for! Thank you for celebrating your daughter’s birthday with us!

Portsmouth, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

A wonderful resort providing many modern amenities while retaining the old world charm. Beautifully appointed rooms, scenic dining views, understated yet refined common areas. This is a wonderful place for that special occasion. The terrace rooms offer outstanding vistas and the bathrooms are almost too nice to leave!
The staff is attentive, courteous and professional. Dining in the restaurant is a fantastic experience with a great wine list. Within walking distance of the main street in Watch Hill. The Ocean House offers something for everyone. Do lots....or do nothing. Treat yourself...you will not be disappointed. See Peter in guest services for advice, ask for Molly at dinner service for your waitress. You may even contact Chef John to see if he will create a special meal for you and yours. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: 209 King Terrace. Spectacular room with exceptional view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I think you said it perfectly – “do lots or do nothing.” Whether you want to relax and unwind or take advantage of all our activities, April is a wonderful time to visit! Thank you for your kinds words and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Have been to the ocean House on two occasions. Only for dinner, not to
stay. it is a beautiful property. it has been done over but still maintains the feel of
a grand hotel of years ago. The views are spectacular.If celebrating a specual occasion, don't hesitate to celebrate there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It’s wonderful to hear that we have succeeded in our efforts to maintain the historical feel of Ocean House. We hope to see you for a special occasion soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I are expecting our 3rd child so we booked a suite at the Ocean House as a last getaway before the arrival. I was very excited about the trip but did not expect what an amazing property this is and how luxurious and restful it was. The buildings are beautiful, beach lovely, restaurant very good with a beautiful view and interesting dishes (I had the best pancakes of my life) and the no tipping in addition the spa, daily activity suggestions and friendliness of the staff were unparalleled in my view. We live in the city and have stayed at the Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental and while I enjoyed both of those hotels, their hospitality does not come close to the service we experienced here. I honestly cannot think of another place we stayed where the staff was so accommodating and friendly and took care of every detail. Maybe on our honeymoon in hawaii. It is expensive. But worth it in my view.

Room Tip: we stayed in the weekapaug suite. It was gorgeous. Next time we go back, I don't think we will s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for our kind words. While we think a hotel’s physical property is a very important factor, we strongly feel that it is the staff that makes the experience! I am so glad you found our staff to be so hospitable and that our team was able to make your babymoon a trip to remember! Hopefully we will get to welcome the entire family next time!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

When our plans to travel far & wide were curtailed, my dearest friend and I decided to stay local and try The Ocean House (OH) mainly because of its proximity, recent renovations and intriguing reputation. The OH reputation pales in comparison to our high-maintenance-ish expectations. We discovered a keepsake we will treasure, a northeast coast gem perfect for those who want a quick jaunt for respite, indulgent culinary creations and yes, pampering...without ALL the burden of logistics.

A nominal fee is included in your charges so there is NO TIPPING. As I waited for my friend in Seasons (fine dining room), I had a view of the gorgeous beach and a first-ever celebrity helicopter easy on-off landing on the beach (local resident). As if the vista isn't enough, the food is almost too pretty to eat...but not in the petite fashion. The culinary staff uses local foods when they can and the wait staff is astute at describing the plates and suggestions that qualify them as foodies (precisely what you would expect at some far away resort with prices to match). The value of the whole stay was unparalleled when you take into account all that we did while staying at OH. Mind you: NEVER have I been one to jump in to do any hokey happenings during a break...I'm the one at the beach and restaurant, until now.

We opted to take the tour of the property which was informative, interesting and breathtaking. I've been to OH before but never even noted the artwork within, the charming history of the property and had assumed the property was renovated when it was actually carefully demolished and pieces of the original buildings and landscape were carefully built into the brand new structure. The property has just enough rooms which would explain the superior service and personal attention during our stay. Note: The artwork on every floor is worth a gander...if time allows.

Next, we attended a cooking demonstration at the Seasons grill area where Chef Dennis (with jovial intercessions by Chef Janice) showed us the art of making German Spaetzle, a few ways, serving us the finished product and providing us with the recipe (for foodies, a must-do activity…complimentary, of course!). Speaking of courses, next we went to a wine & cheese tasting in the Clubroom (gorgeous room overlooking the ocean again) hosted by the OH Sommelier. Delightful. At our early-for-us dinner, we each ordered items we would not necessarily cook at home and savored every bite. Our room bed was cozier than both my bedroom and living room put together. (Molton Brown amenities, gorgeous window treatments and vistas of the beach, panel wood doors separating the bedroom/sitting area to the sunken tub, marble top sink, lovely tiled shower and separate loo and gorgeous fixtures). Added first-class touches included “welcome!” OH biscuits and honey butter, computer/lens wipes atop our laptops, whoppers that melt in your mouth, assorted snacks and chilled OH bottled water).

Complimentary coffee was delivered at wake-up and I can still taste the Dave's blend in the stainless carafe that kept the coffee steaming hot (Dave's market is a local market, I was told...must get some next time). We attended a Stretch, Bend & Core class and felt ever so glad we did. Invigorated and so well-rested, we stayed on at the fitness center to walk on the treadmills while watching an episode on my iPad of "House of Cards" (relax! We had the place to ourselves) and felt inspired to leisurely walk the beach after that. Remember: I'm the pool, beach, sleep and eat only hotel guest??!! Lunch was better than the day prior and the service exceeded our expectations that they couldn’t possibly maintain those exceptional standards from the day prior. Am I in Rhode Island?

Well, what do you know, we attended another cooking demonstration and felt welcomed back. This time Chef Janice prepared and served us Jonny Cakes, RI corn cakes (and interactions from Chef Dennis provided priceless added entertainment). Then we walked over to the Spirits 101 class with Dean, the bartender, in the Club Room. We opted to take the shuttle to the sister property, The Weekapaug Inn...when the shuttle was already out, the bell staff drove us in the hotel Mercedes sedan...and picked us up when we were ready. No tipping, remember?!

Dinner, wine, a goodie bag of decadent sweets at Seasons and we were set to rest. Really rest. Again. Dave's and TWO exercise classes we would never have done in a million years (Tai Chi ~ enjoyed it; and, Yoga ~ Upward Dog, Downward Dog was not for me. I felt like I was at church). So glad we gave it our all and tried something new.

Lunch overlooking the ocean and recap of the two nights, three glorious days while reviewing our room charges and we were beyond content with the expenses incurred. Anyone planning a milestone getaway with children who are finishing high school and in the throes of college know how pricey and needy they are...so, getting away to an island somewhere is virtually impossible...there's always something. Sun is overrated. Air travel is cumbersome. A quick jaunt to the sea just over the Connecticut border in the Ocean State at the Ocean House is the only way to go, da`lings.

The Ocean House is the perfect jaunt for a relaxing, sumptuous escape that will make you say, "Is this real life? Are we in Rhode Island or ______? I forget. Let's make this a semi-annual outing, shall we?". OH is a gem, a keepsake, and a treasure that I bet will maintain all of its charm when I return "home" to OH (very) soon.

Added FYI's: Complimentary champagne upon arrival; The cappuccino, coffee, tea, hot chocolate machine in the lobby during morning hours; The staff are beyond pleasant but not over-the-top...if you ask where something is, like a good boutique, they accompany you to the area and provide interesting information about the property you might be interested in knowing; The house vodka is Kettle One. Shhh.; Did I mention all of the classes and courses and demonstrations are complementary and not hokey but first-class quality...like cooking and exercise classes you pay for at home!?; The view, chaise lounges and pampering after the OH Spa in the exquisite Relaxation/Recovery Room (my all-time favorite spot at OH); The parting gift at check out...Um, you'll see.; The chilled OH bottled waterS in your car when the valet brings you your car at check-out... Added touches that will make you want to leave several extra envelopes to say "thank you".

Suggested Modifications: Please don't accompany me to my room at check-in (or offer to so I can decline). Awkward. I would prefer hearing the basics at check-in...I won't steal anything on my way to the room, I promise.; Entice me to spend time in the Spa and match the service fees to those at spas in New York or Boston (I found them to be over-the-top pricey, despite the Relaxation Room).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
I am sincerely appreciative of your thorough and thoughtful feedback, we wish we could get a look into every guests’ stay like this! I am so glad that although a visit to Ocean House wasn’t part of your original plans, your vacation was still a success. Thank you for stepping outside of your comfort zone and trying so many new things during your visit with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

President & Managing Director

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!