“Grand and Victorian” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Watch Hill
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Grand and Victorian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

“Sitting practically on top of the beach, this complete refurb of an old, classic resort is nothing short of impressive. It’s truly the embodiment of an old-time era – modernized with every creature comfort imaginable. Nothing feels more like North Eastern ‘glamour’ than cocktail hour on the Verandah – both evenings we partook, sipping martinis while overlooking the sprawling croquet field and spectacular ocean vistas. After a nine-year renovation with an attention to detail that dazzles, this historic Rhode Island treasure reopened in 2010. The beachy-formal feel is a welcome addition to the handful of high-quality places to weekend on the East Coast.”

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for so thoroughly sharing the feeling that Ocean House gives one. We agree that this is a very special place and we are thrilled to share it with our guests. We hope you will join us again soon.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

My 2 friends and I just spent the weekend at the Ocean House and it was amazing. We spent the better part of the day getting massages and facials. Without question the BEST spa I have ever been! Immaculate, serene and the relaxation room is stunning. Our Hydrangea suite was gorgeous! The entire hotel is gorgeous. The staff was incredibly professional, warm and friendly. Exceedingly helpful. They will do their absolute best to make sure you are happy. We have stayed in many "luxury " hotels and this is by far the best service I have ever experienced. We are already making plans to return!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very pleased that you and your friends had such a wonderful visit. Our OH! Spa is the only 5-star spa in Rhode Island and we are so glad you were able to enjoy it. We look forward to welcoming you again next year.

Stonington, Ct.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I decided to celebrate our 41st Anniversary by treating ourselves to a special evening at The Ocean House. From the moment I handed the valet my car keys and he not only extended us a warm welcome but wished us a Happy Anniversary, I knew that we were in for another special Ocean House experience. Our room had an unbelievable view and we loved waking up to the sound of the breaking surf. We enjoyed some quiet time in our room before dressing and heading down to the dining room. Once again their commitment to service showed. Pat, our waiter welcomed us and also congratulated us and the special note of thanks from the President that was waiting on the table was greatly appreciated. Our dinner was absolutely amazing and our waiter (Pat) insured that the dining experience was everything it should have been and more. A remarkable selection, all cooked to perfection. Honestly, when it was over, if they had told me that there was a mistake in my bill and I owed them more, I would have paid it without hesitation. A Gran Mariner by the fire after dinner, followed by a walk out on the veranda to enjoy the sounds and smell of the ocean was a perfect way to end a perfect evening. The next morning we slept in and enjoyed our coffee as we slowing adjusted to the fact that we were about re-enter the real world again. We'll be back, again and again.

Room Tip: Room 217 is dead center to the Ocean view but there's not a bad room in the building.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so thrilled that we could mark such a wonderful occasion with you and your wife. Your experience is what we strive for with each and every guest. I will be sure Pat hears of your compliments for his service. We would be honored if you would share your next anniversary with us too.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I'll keep this short and sweet. I asked at reservation, for no feathers. Then I indicated it on the intake form and also called before hand... The room was a full on feather bed, pillows on couch and bed etc. SO simple mistake right? Othet than the fact i might need an ambulance! Let the night go on!

We go to dinner, and are served oysters which are dry and stuck to the shells. The wait staff, rather than saying sorry come over and tells us "the oysters are not bad, but they could be fresher". I kid you not!!! Maybe this is just another simple snafu.

My wife decides to take a shower...the shower literally doesn't work. We call room service (for out $600+ room). They fix it in roughly and hour but leave the old parts in the shower stall.

We decide to make a drink in the room, our ice is not ice...warm water with black bits in it. The drinks that are complimentary have allready been opened and the draw below the mini bar has past customers receipts inside.

Seriously the list goes on, (dirty room service dishes, no headphones in the gym etc. etc) I felt like we were on candid camera! My poor wife!

We get home and they inform me by email that I'm getting 20 percent off our room. A whole whopping $120. What a joke.

An amazing building terribly ran. This isn't a joke, I stayed on Jan 1st 2013, I'm from Mystic CT and my name is Gary.

• Stayed January 2013
We are terribly sorry for your below-standard experience and know that no words will make up for it. We are further sorry that our attempt to rectify the situation was not to your satisfaction. We strive very hard to provide each and every guest with the best experience possible and we fell short this time.

hawthorne, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

You will not be disappointed. In fact, you will be eager to make another reservation (even at the $$$$ price your stay will cost, honestly you will not regret it). Fitness Center is great, check out the Fitness On Request videos, SUCH a cool amenity. Room and housekeeping impeccable. Common areas are also very tasteful and comfortable. Always enjoyed early morning complimentary coffee/capuccino/espresso in the comfortable lobby with lots of interesting artwork and coffee table books. Had three dinners and one lunch, at hotel and all were truly fantastic. Although every eating establishment was closed during my New Years weekend stay, I can't imagine eating anyplace else even if other restaurants were open. Don't hesitate, make your reservation now! Don't you deserve it?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. We work very hard to ensure that every aspect of our guest’s stay and all areas they encounter meet the highest standards. We want to be sure our guests want to come back again and again. We will be sure to share your compliments with our hard working housekeeping staff and our talented culinary staff.

Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

WOW! This resort was amazing and worth every penny we spent. Wish we had returned for Christmas instead of the Equinox. Staff, food, accomadations, and location were absolutely spectacular. We took the martini making class and had a great time. Thanksgiving meal was awesome!
We are going to make this our new destination spot for special occasions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a business lunch there last fall, and I have to say the place is absolutely gorgeous. Food is great, service very professional, but more than anything the building, location and view are really amazing.
If around, make sure you stop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you. We are fortunate to work in such a beautiful location and are grateful to the many people who worked to bring her back to her full glory. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope you will return for lunch or even an overnight sometime soon.

Daniel A. Hostettler

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!