“Secluded Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Watch Hill
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Secluded Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Beautifull resort with all the amenities. Greeted with a glass of champagne! Rooms are stunning and spacious. Many extras. I was here for a wedding and felt completely catered to. All the staff was entirely gracious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope you will join us again soon.

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Looking for a great location for a spa day? Look no further! The spa is wonderful, the staff is extremely attentive and the relaxation room has ocean views while you sip tea. Fall into New England Costal Escape package is 3 hours of pampering. Plan to check in early to use the steam room before your treatment. Feel free to bring a bag with a change of clothes if you want, a locker is provided. The women’s locker room has showers with shampoo and conditioner. In addition a hair dryer, curling iron, hair gel and hair spray are also provided. The spa has a beautiful couples massage room.
Stay for a late lunch/early dinner in the bar, sitting by the fireplace or in the restaurant overlooking the ocean. The Native Head Lettuces salad with chicken was delicious and the chicken was cooked perfectly. Stay for sunset and bring sneakers or sandals to go for a walk on the beach.
Ocean House provides complementary valet parking, even for day guests. No tips are accepted.
It was a relaxing, wonderful day of pampering. Yes it is pricy, but it is worth it! I will absolutely visit again. The massage therapist mentioned a hotel tour at 2pm each day, check when you make your appointment if you are interested (given the hotel’s history I was sad I missed it).

Tips:
- Arrive early for your spa treatment to use the steam room.
- Bring sneakers or sandals for a walk on the beach.
- Ask about the daily hotel tour.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the OH! Spa. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the amazing environment and excellent services that the spa staff works so hard to provide to our guests. I am sure you can see why the spa received a Forbes Five-Star rating in its first year. Please join us again soon.

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The perfect place for a Thanksgiving weekend, the hotel is magnificent, set on the ocean.
The food is wonderful and there are many choices of dining, casual, or fine dining overlooking the ocean. The Spa is as lovely, spotless and a kind and knowing staff. Christmas began this Sunday, with tree lighting and Santa. Every evening the guests gather round the piano and enjoy the music and companionship....or have a nightcap or snack at the bar. I came by train and was met at the station and returned there by a friendly driver who helped me aboard.....the end of a elegant experience.

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend with us this year. The holidays are a favorite time of year for us and helping our guests create treasured memories is one of the main reasons. We hope you will join us again soon.

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My sister and her family live in NYC, and we live in the Midwest. Found this little gem and booked it about a month in advance. Paid top dollar, mainly because we were like the last people on the East Coast still looking for long weekend plans. Flew into providence, and my sister drove up.
First impressions: WOW, followed by REALLY WOW.
The website is pretty understated, and does not really reflect how special the place really is. For starters, we had a commanding view of the beach with a private deck and phenomenal suite. We also had two smaller rooms, but they were not really small at all.
The food was great, and the staff took extra time to make sue that we were happy and was able to arrange some last minute stuff that reallt made the trip special, for example they were able to find a professional photographer at the last minute, who was great.
There were some signs that they were stretched thin over the holiday weekend. Had a great meal at the bar on the first evening, but there was a wait as the place was understaffed. They have extensive local resources at their disposal, and some of them were put to task when they had to make sure that we had an over-the-top golf experience.
The Beach staff is out of this world, they taught my kids (12 and 13) to body surf, kept them fed with a steady stream of sandwiches and snacks and overall made certain that my kids are looking forward to returning.
My parents liked the compactness of the resort, but thoroughly enjoyed the highest level of service.
All the ladies liked the spa.
I and my wife liked the fat that the concierge and front desk staff did everything possible to make sure that our weekend was worry free.
The hotel arranged for a sitter who was able to keep all the little kids (ranging from 8months to 13 years old) enjoying a final end of summer party, so we could enjoy dinner, and also get a break during the day.
I am glad I found this place, and think it made for one of our most memorable family get-togethers.

Room Tip: captains room is has a unique decor, and good view of the lighthouse. The napatree suite has a large...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We are thrilled that you found us and we look forward to your return with your family. We were recently named by Fodors as one of the top properties that offer experiences for kids and adults and I think your comments express this very nicely.

Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hospitality at this hotel is beyond anything you can imagine. Each of the staff members are genuinely trying to make the guests happy.
My boyfriend secretly order flowers and the staff was able to accommodate his request. The flowers were beautiful!
The snacks in the room are a great treat and so is the water they put in the car before you drive home. Each little detail made us really fall in love with this place. Unfortunately, we were not able to try to the spa because they were fully booked but I didn't book it ahead of time.
Be sure to try the Sunday Jazz Brunch!

Room Tip: We had a terrace room facing the entrance to the hotel and we could still see the water and a beauti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. We work very hard to make sure our guest’s experience is more than they expect and the details are a VERY important part of this goal. We hope you will join us again soon.

LAX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Earlier this summer, my husband and I traveled from Los Angeles to visit my cousin in Providence, whom had just had just given birth to a wonderful baby boy! I asked them if there was anywhere we could take them to celebrate, they instantly said the Seasons Restaurant at The Ocean House, as they had heard great things about it.
I was pleasantly surprised to see a familiar face behind the bar! See, my husband and I went on a romantic honeymoon cruise around the Hawaiian Islands six years ago and we became regulars at the wine bar, whom was tended by none other than Jordan! He was his wonderful witty self and even remembered that my husband liked his martini with Chopin Vodka!
The dinner was wonderful as we all got the tasting menu. I have dinned at some of the best restaurants around the LA area and Seasons ranks right at the top of them. Our waiter, Eric was from San Jose, which is about 20minutes away from where I grew up! He was very informative and professional.
All in all, we had an amazing night of family and fun. The property was beautiful, the food was great and service put it all over the top. I can’t get over seeing Jordan again, who would have thought? My husband told me to write this, since I haven’t stopped talking about it since our visit. Thank you Ocean House and thank you Jordan and Eric!
Sincerely
Happy from LA

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We are glad you took your husband’s advice and shared your experience with us. I don’t think “small world” begins to describe your reunion with our wonderful bartender, Jordan. We are very pleased that it was such great experience for you, from food to service. We hope you will join us again the next time you visit Rhode Island.

Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So many properties change quickly but not here. Everything was great! Kudos to the chef who accommodated my late night request for pasta which was not on the menu. Food is to die for and the accommodations are neat, clean and comfortable! My only minor complaint is when ordering food the waiter could not tell me the exact vegetables in the vegetable meal, he claimed the chef put different items each time. I could not understand why he could not list the items and let me choose. Nevertheless It still is great!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
With our farm-to-table philosophy, it is possible that the ingredients may change from day-to-day as we receive the freshest produce from local farms. However, I agree that your server should have been aware of what ingredients were being used that day. This will be addressed with the wait staff. We hope your third visit will be in the very near future.

President & Managing Director

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!