“Beautiful Ocean-Front Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Watch Hill
Castle Pines, CO
“Beautiful Ocean-Front Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was our first visit to this hotel. It was recommended to us by friends who have stayed here several times and loved it. We had a really wonderful stay here. As Club 5C members, we were given an upgrade, and thus we stayed in one of their oceanfront residences, and it was spectacular. The residences are on the ground floor, and have sweeping, manicured lawns that reach down to the sea. Each residence's lawns are afforded privacy by the tall hedges that are kept between each residence. The hydrangeas are gorgeous. So step out the double screen doors off the spacious and fully equipped kitchen and fully-stocked bar, and walk down the cool grass to the beach. The beach is private and the service there is excellent. We spent entire days just lazing by the beach and riding the waves....so relaxing. The Dune Cottage is right there on the beach so need to go any further for a snack, lunch, or a cocktail, and they also have full-service to your beach chair if you prefer. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful with whatever we needed, and we enjoyed the restaurants. We also enjoyed a couples massage at the hotel spa...very nice! We really didn't have any reason to leave the property for things to do...we were perfectly happy at the Ocean House and we will definitely be back. Thank You, Ocean House!

Room Tip: Anything facing the beach will be wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We are very pleased that you were able to enjoy so many of the amenities here at Ocean House. The Hydrangea Suite in which you stayed, is one of our new Signature Suites, each individually designed and much larger than standard resort suites with direct ocean views and private terrace or gardens, we are pleased that you were one of the first to stay in one of them. We intended them to feel like home – a very luxurious home! We hope you will join us again soon.

President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Beautiful hotel right at the ocean. Private beach with patio dining and fully staffed for service on the beach. Everything is pretty new and sparkling. The staff in the hotel is lovely, helpful and mostly competent. However this is a remodeled old hotel that sits on a high bluff. There are many stairs, few elevators and long hilly walks. There are a few glitches which could be serious, depending upon your personal point of view. Valet parking. No tipping allowed which is great. VERY EXPENSIVE both for room rates, bar and restaurant, and spa.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We understand that some of the things that make our hotel so beautiful and grand (elegant staircases, the winding path down to the beach) can also make our property challenging for those less mobile. That is why we are fully prepared to accommodate any special needs, equipment or assistance that any of our guests may require. We actually reach out to our guests before they arrive to inquire about any special requests they may have, including any on-property challenges we may need to accommodate. I encourage anyone that needs this kind of assistance to contact us and we will gladly work with them to arrange whatever is needed.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean House for 3 nights during Memorial Day weekend. This was our second (and probably last) time at this hotel. The hotel grounds are beautiful, the location is great and the private beach is a wonderful treat.

My biggest issue was the bed. I vaguely remember that the first time we stayed here, the bed was not 5 star but this time it was truly uncomfortable and it was difficult getting a good night's sleep. And that's a deal breaker for me.

Other than the bed, the rooms are nice. There is a flat screen tv in the bedroom and another small one in the bathroom. When you first arrive, they leave a welcome note and a snack. The first time we stayed there, it was a nice fruit tray; this time, it was some sort of biscuit and lemon curd. They also have 3 apothecary jars - one with a cracker mixture, one with malted milk balls and the 3rd had goldfish (although the first time, the 3rd had mixed nuts). And they keep filling them up. There is also a small refrigerator with complementary sodas in it.

Each room has a balcony. One thing that we noticed both times we stayed at the Ocean House is they never seem to clean the balcony area. It was pretty filthy and we had to ask them to clean it, since we like to sit outside and enjoy the view.

When they turn down your bed at night, they leave a schedule of classes and events for the following day. This time around, we took advantage of some of these classes: yoga, flambe, cheese tasting and aromatherapy. If you can spare the time, I highly recommend trying some of them.

We found the staff to be friendly and were surprised when so many of them knew our names.

There is a nice indoor lap pool, but no whirlpool (although there is ample room for one). We noticed pieces of tissue floating around in the pool and by the second day when it was still there, we questioned this and were told they only cleaned the pool once/week. After that, we didn't use the pool again. For this quality hotel, this is unacceptable.

The locker room/spa area is quite nice. There is a steam room in each of the locker rooms, athough I never saw anyone else use it.

One other feature we noticed this time around is there are on-demand fitness classes available in the fitness class room. These project on a large screen in the room.

The Ocean House is an expensive hotel so I find it irritating that they add another $28/night for a "resort fee". The first time we stayed there (in 2010), it was $25/night. It would be better if they just increased the price of the room to include these "resort" amenities that the fee covers (e.g. valet parking, tips, etc.).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that you did not enjoy the bed in your room – we specifically sourced a pillow top mattress, with an additional feather bed on top in order to provide the highest level of experience. For those that prefer a firmer mattress we can certainly make arrangements to add bed boards and remove the feather bedding should you request it.. Regarding the balcony and the pool, we do regularly clean both and will share this feedback with these departments to ensure that your comments are addressed. The resort fee is intended to enhance the guests’ experience by eliminating the small/incidental fees that can pop us throughout a stay at other resorts, such as staff gratuities – most of our guests prefer the resort fee and the fact that our staff does not accept gratuities given that they receive the resort fee in lieu. Thank you for your comments.

Westtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My new husband and I had a delightful lunch at the Ocean House on our wedding day, last June 7, 2011. The staff is personable and professional, and is aware of your every need. The crab cakes were excellent, the assorted breads were a nice surprise, and the waiter had a special drink made for me. We were seated outside of Seasons on the deck facing the ocean, it was perfect!
We enjoyed our visit so much that we decided to have our one year anniversary celebration at Seasons this year, June 7, 2012. We walked in and were greeted by name at the desk, seated by a window overlooking the ocean. It was drizzling rain outside so we weren't able to sit outside as before. We had a delicious spinach salad with strawberries(I would love to know the type of dressing-a light balsamic possibly?), delightful lobster and swordfish entrees, and I found a liqueur with my middle name which was wonderful with sparkling water. The piece de resistance was dessert. As a surprise my husband had the pastry chef make us a chocolate fondant cake. It had one candle in between strawberries and blueberries, and handmade candy leaves. The perfect ending to a very special meal. we will not wait a year to come back next time! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We didn't stay overnight this time.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Ok - here is why I gave The Ocean House an average rating. A comparative frame must be used to really evaluate. I am using the Chatham Bars Inn on the East Coast and The Montage on the West Coast as the comparative.

1) All three are beautifully situated on the water.
2) Service is incredible across the board.
3) Room décor and hotel common areas – all top notch.
4) All are luxury hotels based on room rates.

Now for the comparative areas where The Ocean House did not measure up.

1) The Pool is small and indoor lacking the beauty of CBI/Montage pools.
2) On property dinning did not accept resv from quests (except the most formal option)
3) Food quality was good not great
4) Sound quality was not so good – we were awoken by our neighbors at 7am (walls were thin is my guess).
5) Price – this was a bit more expensive than my recent visits to the others and the room size was smaller also

This is a good hotel and most people will love it. If you like high end this lives up to that measure.

Room Tip: Views are great from almost any where.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
You are clearly well traveled and we appreciate your feedback. Allow me to address a couple of your observations. Unfortunately, being in a residential neighborhood our pool must be indoors rather than outdoors – it is our hope that the private beach, and the French doors opening the pool to the outside makes up in some small way for the fact that we do not provide an outdoor pool. Regarding the dining reservations, while we do accept reservations in both Seasons and the Club room, our casual dining outlets do not, however at the Seaside Terrace and the Verandah we do hold approximately 25% of our tables for hotel guests, so that we can accommodate them without the need for a reservation. I am sorry that you did not feel our food quality met your needs, we certainly try to maintain a varied menu across our five dining outlets, and to utilize the freshest, local ingredients in our farm to table cuisine

Regards,
new haven, ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

when I was akid we always drove to Florida from NYS and stayed in little family run motor courts where I would save the glassine "sanitized for your protection" bags on the glasses as some sort of souvenir. These motels were nice but once my father splurged and we stayed at a Holiday Inn which had (gasp) free shoe shine cloths. I added that to my glassine bag collection thinking "This place is a step above" and ever thereafter when we stayed at one of our little motor courts I would think," it's nice, but it's not like that Holiday Inn."

The Ocean House is the, place that has forever spoiled everywhere else for me:so that now it will always be "It's great, but it's not the Ocean House.". I have stayed in some great hotels but nothing will ever compare to this place. I won't go on about all the great things as it would just be reiterating the other reviews here (although I will say that my fiance, and a friend of his who was here a couple of weeks before us, were most impressed by the chilled water left in the car cup holders by the valet staff on checkout - a subtle but lovely touch I don't remember reading about).

as a suggestion I would simply say, take advantage of all the place has to offer, and the staff's willingness to serve, which is memorable. when you book they will send an email asking you about things you want, if you are celebrating an occasion, etc. If you are celebrating an occasion, they will acknowledge it very nicely. They will honour your requests - extra pillows, only diet soda in the fridge, lemon slices for tea - whatever...so ask. Morning wake up calls come with a complimentary beverage - it was great to sip iced tea in the early morn on the terrace and watch dawn over the atlantic.

The morning beach walk was invigorating. during it I mentioned I needed to get a postcard of the place to send and Renee, the spa director leading the walk, told me she had some cards. I forgot about it, but the next day when we were checking out (late afternoon - you can use the facilities after check out) she ran into my fiance and told him she was looking for me. Lo and behold she had a selection of note cards with beautiful photos of the hotel on them. Unbelieveable service.

Food (tasting menu especially) at seasons was wonderful and the spa services were also wonderful. Just sitting in the relaxation room and being served a tray of tea and snacks put it that notch above destination spas which I have visited and loved.

Everything about Ocean House puts it that notch above the best of the best. On a scale of one to ten, as spinal tap would quip, an eleven!

Room Tip: Terrace king rooms are wonderful. Rooms on the side have views of both bay and ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I was so glad to see how much you enjoyed your visit, it is a privilege to be compared to your future travels in other hotels. We strive to provide our guests with the ultimate in service and to be the hotel all others are compared to. Thank you for visiting us and for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again very soon.

RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Views, architecture, attention to details, service... all truly exceptional. Rooms are not spacious, but they're beautiful decorated and luxurious. Spectacular place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We agree that Ocean House is a spectacular place and we are happy that we get to share it with all our guests.

President & Managing Director

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!