“A Wonderful Experience you won't forget” 4 of 5 stars

NYLO Providence/Warwick
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Knight Street, Warwick, RI 02886   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Warwick
Torrington, Connecticut
“A Wonderful Experience you won't forget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The bottom line: This is not your normal hotel experience, but it is one that you will never forget, with a great bed, relaxing shower, and a warmth that defies the concrete construction. We would go back again in a heartbeat.
The whole story:
My wife and I wanted to get away for a weekend, so we settled on Rhode Island as a destination, just a few hours away from our CT home. Normally, I would book a night at a Sheraton using my Starwood points and that would be that, but as luck would have it, just as I was booking the reservation, I received a great Groupon offer for two nights at the NYLO Providence--Warwick hotel, so I booked it.
I had read about the hotel on the website and seen the TripAdvisor reviews, but was still surprised to see the "Old Mill" as we pulled up to the NYLO on Friday night.
It took a bit of time to register as I had not printed the Groupon voucher (I had read that all I needed to do was show the voucher on my iphone). The desk clerk was very apologetic, and upgraded us to one of the PURE hypo-allergenic rooms at no charge. We were intrigued by the ambiance of the lobby, and were not sure what to expect when we got to our room.
When we got to our room my wife was immediately taken by the look and feel. This was going to be different.
The room was smaller than we had expected from the pictures, but it was very functional. The bed was very soft and comfortable, but the sofa was definitely not. We both loved the Waterfall shower head and the sink with very cold water. The TV swiveled to all angles and there was a safe in the "closet" area. Don't expect any dressers with drawers, you will need to live out of your suitcase(s). But there is something intangible about the smell, the warmth and the comfort that defies the concrete construction of the rooms.
So if you are looking for something out of the ordinary from the usual bland Hotel experience, we highly recommend NYLO Providence. We hear there are some great bicycle rail trails in RI, so we are likely to go back this summer and will stay at NYLO for sure.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cooldj23

Leonardtown, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I felt that full disclosure is warranted, and I didn't realize what was missing from my first review - the bed. Shame on me for not stating that the bed was the best I have ever slept in. I think I am only beginning to understand the impact a good mattress has on your sleep, and being a side-sleeper due to my very firm bed, I was a bit daunted to be comfortable just laying on my back. I looked up the amenities on the hotel website and saw that it was a Simmons Beautyrest Do Not Disturb mattress. I think they have changed the brand name since, and perhaps the specs, on the website, since I first investigated. Fast forward to present: the mattress made a BIG impression, I still talk about it when visiting retail mattress outlets, and it is likely I will find something in the Simmons Beautyrest Black line, that reminds me of the wonderful experience of the NYLO bed. I realize I probably could have purchased the mattress from Simmons' hotel program, but I didn't investigate - anticipating full retail. Based on my experience of the bed in July 2013, I am giving the hotel an Excellent rating.

Room Tip: ask for river view and a luggage rack unless you want to open your bag on the floor or on the bed
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary K
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stay at Nylo every now and again for special occasions with friends or to just get away for a night or two. I wouldn't even think about staying at any other hotel in Rhode Island. Nylo is always our go-to hotel of choice. The atmosphere is perfect and the chic look of the hotel provides the guests with a modern edgy stay. The unfinished mill look is part of the Nylo decor! So for those who said it looks unfinished...that's the whole idea!! It is modern, unique and gorgeous inside. I love the vibe. It is very New York, yet completely affordable and comfortable. The rooms are just beautiful, the bar is stunning. Why would any one choose a boring Crowne Plaza or Marriott hotel over Nylo? That's just silly. As far as the staff goes, we never have an issue. The one issue we did have which was simple (we did not know how to change the heat setting in the room) the woman at the front desk addressed it immediately and had someone go up to the room right away and changed it for us within ten minutes of us arriving. Nylo is great and I would highly recommend this hotel to any and every one looking to stay in the area!

Room Tip: Request a room that overlooks the river! Only 3 or 4 in the hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AFA0207
Oak Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here as a member of a wedding party. My wife and I had a room with queen bed. To me this is somewhat of a strange hotel. The walls are all unfinished concrete. They are somewhat reminiscent of a prison. The bed was nice, comfortable, but a little difficult to get in and out of because of its height. The room seemed dark, maybe more lighting could help. The bathroom has a frosted glass shower that, for some reason has a large mirror mounted just under the shower head. The rest of the bathroom has a small sink and shelf and toilet. This, too, looks like a prison. The only window in the room is about two feet behind the bed, a little hard to reach. The folks working the front desk are lacking personalities. They came across as rather cold and seemed to have somewhat of an attitude. Luckily there are restaurants nearby as I'm not quite sure what their restaurant schedule is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Mixed review here! Absolutely loved the concept, but agree with other reviewers about the lack of hotel functionality and comfort. We booked the Nylo king room for a fun two person Superbowl celebration and were put off by the no alcohol allowed in the room rule and their restaurant/bar was closed. Who doesen't have a beer during a football game!

Second, the width of the room is slightly too narrow to support the king bed. Third, floors and ceilings were not applealing to look at or walk on. If this were someone's funky loft apt who was into the raw look, it could have been cool, but it needs some warmth and texture to have widespread hospitality appeal.

Fourth, Lounge furniture is extremely uncomfortable and cheap. Coffee table/footstool wobbled on legs and felt like it wouldn't support our feet. Backs took a beating after sitting on this furniture for the game.

Plusses: great customer service, dog friendly, fantastic shower with great pressure, gorgeous outside space. We would stay here again for an overnight, but not for a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank MystiqueLaRue
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'm following up on the review titled

“Absolutely Horrible”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

In reference of the review, I was the 2nd of the three in our party who stayed here over the past summer. I am the second of this party to review this hotel, and honestly, have calmed enough based on my interaction with staff to write a coherent and legible review that does not reflect my utter disgust with the staff and treatment I received. To be honest, it is an understatement when I say that I had the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel. I've stayed at Motel Six's to Ritz Carlton. Motel Six is a class act compared to this place.

First, upon arrival, the area this hotel is situated in looks like a warzone. It is surrounded by abandoned warehouses, and is not in an area that I would consider tourist friendly. If you are looking for an upscale experience...steer clear.

Secondly, at check in, the front desk staff did not have a record of our reservation. We booked through hotels.com. Upon inquiring to our reservation, I was told to contact Hotels.com, as NYLO had no record, and it was my responsibility to work out the miscommunication. At this point, I informed the front desk attendant that I would gladly contact hotels.com, but believed that it was her responsibility to work out this issue.

After 30 minutes of handing my cell phone back and forth between the front desk attendant to clear NYLO's mistake (hotels.com had record of the reservation), we were finally were checked in to our rooms.

We left for the rehearsal dinner scheduled for that night and returned to the bar for a nightcap. My wife ordered a Pinot Noir, and the rude bar staff told us that she would not serve us. No reason was given. I went to speak with the front desk manager, who I was to later learn was the General Manager of the Hotel, Michael Gimp.

Upon discussing the earlier issues and the rude bar staff, Mr. Gimp, General Manager, asked me "What do you want me to do about it?" At this point, I informed him that I had never been treated so rudely at a hotel, and that if I knew this was the case, I would have gladly stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn that was strongly recommended by the wedding party. I now understand their reason for encouraging us to stay at a brand name hotel. The NYLO was a complete disaster.

We awoke the next morning to visit the town and to ultimately attend the wedding. As we returned to the hotel, the three members of our party retired to our rooms to shower and prepare to depart for the wedding that was to take place that evening. The gentleman that wrote the previous review I reference above stopped by our room, as he was catching a ride with us to the wedding. Upon knocking on the door, it opened, where my wife was exposed as she was exiting the shower.

We exited the room to discover that over the past 36 hours of our trip, the lock on my room door had been inactive. I returned to the front desk to find General Manager Gimp, who at this point gave me the option of leaving to "get a new hotel" without a charge for the final night. Please note that we had planned another night of our stay, were an hour in advance of the wedding, and each of us were in formal wear prepared to walk out the door for the wedding. I told him that we may take his offer, but that we had to first attend this wedding. At this point Mr. Gimp allowed us to store our luggage in another room, while we attended the wedding.

During our time at the wedding, our party decided that we no longer wished to stay at a hotel with such horrible service. I returned to the front desk to inform Mr. Gimp that we were taking his previous offer. He informed me that it was no longer on the table, and that if we chose to leave, he would still bill us for our stay. Needless to say, we left.

If you have a choice of hotels in Warwick, stay clear of the NYLO. It is clear from the perspective of hotel management that customer service is not a priority. If you equate hip, funky and eclectic with rude service, incompetent staff, and unsecured rooms, this place is for you. Otherwise, avoid at all cost.

I will personally never forget the way that the general manager treated me, and as a frequent business traveler, tell everyone that I interact with that has plans to stay in Warwick to avoid this disgrace of a hotel. Don't make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank JABDCJAB
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Get the basics right first; the high fashion elements should compliment the overall guest experience. Here, they're trying so hard to impress that point is lost.

The location is not good.The "Zombie building" (abandoned warehouse) next door was a bit unsettling, especially when checking in after dark and parking in a lot across the street from the main entrance.

The reservation system is not up to par. Despite advanced booking, payment in full and a pre-arrival confirmation call to the front desk, the reservation was incorrectly listed for 1 vs 3 rooms. After correcting that, and seeing all 3 rooms, it became apparent that this property wants to be New York chic, and simply is not.

Decor? I get the idea- trendy, chic,loft styling, industrial, modern - but come on.This is first and foremost a hotel! Cement walls disguised as windows are not sound proof in any way. Water stained cement ceilings are not appealing. Cement floors sparsely covered with FLOR tiles are uncomfortable underfoot and not very clean.
How about a closet? A tiny bit of counter space in the bathroom is unusable despite "artsy" stainless accessories. "Pure" green certification is great, (I guess), but not if it means scratchy towels and (very) wrinkled sheets. Perhaps a reading lamp, versus pendulum mood lighting? Water leaking in at corner of floor- very poorly done. Cold, noisy, uninviting- not exactly conducive to a good nights sleep.

The restaurant /bar seems nice enough but one harried waitress made the idea of breakfast unappealing. I settled for coffee and early check out.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank CPinCT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warwick
Omni Providence Hotel
#5 of 12 in Providence
4.0 of 5 stars 1,649 reviews
Downtown Providence
Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel

Been to NYLO Providence/Warwick? Share your experiences!