“Eden Manor - Wakefield” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast

Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wakefield
Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast
154 Post Road, Wakefield, South Kingstown, RI 02879   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Wakefield B&B and Inns
“Eden Manor - Wakefield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a great B & B in a fantastic location. The Eden's are great hosts. It is really close to the beaches and a short drive to Newport. We will go back. It is just a cozy old house in one of my favorite towns. I went to URI and spent a large amount of time in and around Wakefield. That was a long time ago.

• Stayed August 2013

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a last minute get-a-away idea for us and the Manor's keeper accommodated use with an available room. The room was clean and the decorations made it. The only fault I have is there was no AC on what turned out to be the most humid weekend of the summer. If I had AC then the place would be Excellent for a B & B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Drove up to RI from Westchester County for a Saturday night party. Had reserved Eden Manor the night before after trying several of the area's more prestigious destinations in vain. We found a lovely and very comfortable Victorian home on gorgeous grounds with lush vegetation, a comfortable bedroom (with an extra bed for our daughter), a delicious breakfast (homemade banana bread, bread pudding and hard boiled eggs, presumably from the owner's hens). Altogether a very relaxing and pleasant surprise at a very reasonable rate. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent one night at the Eden Manor last Saturday for a quick weekend getaway to the Narragansett area, and I would not hesitate to return.

The house is set well back from the road, in extensive grounds, making for a very quiet stay. The house itself is a huge, gorgeous Victorian home, extensively renovated and lovingly maintained. It must have been quite grand in it's heyday. The ceilings are high, staircases are sweeping and the proportions and layout of the rooms are very elegant. The guest rooms and common areas (which are extensive) are furnished in period style and are very inviting. I particularly liked that the entire house smelled of freshly cut flowers, which grow in profusion in the gardens.

We were greeted by the innkeeper, Bernadette Eden, who runs the inn with her husband. We never met him, but we only stayed one night. Bernadette is very pleasant and welcoming but unobtrusive. We also encountered a couple of her daughters, who were lovely, polite children. We never saw or heard any dogs, as others have mentioned, but we did encounter one tiny kitten running through the house...very cute.

We stayed in Room 2, at the top of the stairs, with a view overlooking the gardens. This room has a fireplace, wonderful floor to ceiling windows, and an en-suite bathroom. The queen size bed was comfortable. Linens are all mismatched but quite clean. We asked for extra pillows and they were brought immediately. We had a dresser with plenty of drawer space, a small closet and two comfy arm chairs. There were nice lamps for reading and an alarm clock. The room does not have a TV or phone, although there is a large flatscreen TV in the common living room for guests' use.

The house has no air conditioning, which we knew in advance from reading other reviews, but we thought we could deal with it for one night, given that the price for the room ($175 for a Saturday night!) was so very reasonable for this area. When we entered our room there was a box fan in one window, and a pedestal fan. We were very hot, but with all the windows open at night and the fans blowing right on us, we were able to sleep. To be fair to the Edens, I imagine the cost of AC in this house would be prohibitive. I would happily stay here at any other time of year, but I don't know that I'd try it again during a July heat wave.

The bathroom was very old fashioned. In fact, I believe the tub and sink may be original fixtures to the house. This is fine with me as everything was in good working order. We had plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Towels are mismatched like the sheets, but big, clean and plentiful. They provide the tiniest cakes of soap I have ever seen! There were also single use plastic packets of shampoo. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so running the shower added tremendously to the heat of the room. There are also no outlets in the bathroom, so I had to use my hairdrier in the bedroom and unplug the fan so as not to blow a fuse.

My only real issue here was that I don't believe our bathroom had been cleaned after the previous guest. I think this must have been an oversight since the rest of the house seemed very clean. It wasn't filthy or disgusting, but the sink and tub needed a scrub (someone's used bar of soap still in the holder), and I had to flush the toilet. I'm sure if I had asked Bernadette would have taken care of it, but as I said, it wasn't bad enough to bother us.

Breakfast is set out buffet style in the dining room, and we ate outside on the wide, covered porch, which was lovely and peaceful and had room for several individual tables. The Edens put out two hot dishes, a baked french toast dish and really good breakfast sausage, as well as fruit salad, homemade breads, bagels/muffins, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. Everything was tasty and plentiful.

My favorite part of our stay was returning to the inn after a long, hot day of sightseeing and falling asleep in their wonderful hammock under the pine trees. Great place for a nap! I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nyack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The only reason I would hesitate wholly recommending this gem is...I don't want it to get so popular that I can't get a room!

If you're looking for a comfortable room in a gorgeous house with quiet, privacy, a lush backyard, and relatively easy access to the beach, this is the place for you. I visited with 5 other people and we all loved the place. We went looking for relaxation and found it. Lots of quiet spots to read, draw, etc. I loved the breakfasts, and the pets, and the family who runs the place.

There's a cute little town nearby for shopping, and it's an easy 25 minute drive to the beach. I can't wait to return to Eden Manor.

Room Tip: My husband, kids, and I had the 2 queen beds / shared bath on the 2nd floor and it was large and ver...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mahwah, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a last minute selection for me as I was going to visit my son at URI family weekend. I was "stuck" with a room with a shared bathroom down the hall and expected very little. Well, the room was beautiful, and spacious, the bed was so comfortable and the bathroom down the hall was no problem. So i give this place 5 stars, but if you are looking for a plush high end resort this isnt it, The towels are adequate but not big fat and fluffy and this very old home probably could use a few minor upgrades. But that's the only criticism i can find!!! The owners are very welcoming. As are their children who assist. All are friendly. Breakfast was spectacular both days we stayed. The grounds are green and beautiful. It is a beautiful old home. It was a very homey feel and I will definitely be back.....Larry H

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

i'm not sure that I can add much, most of the reviews seems fair and accurate. The house was built in 1840, and was restored by the current owners less than 10 years ago. A lot of work went into the restoration, and it is evident throughout the house. The property sits on 5 acres, and the grounds are well maintained. I recommend spending some time on the hammock by the pine trees! The owners, and their family, are lovely people, and are very easily to deal with.

Easy to get to location, right off the Wakefield exit on Route 1. A short drive into the town of Wakefield, and about 10 -12 minutes to the Narragansett town beach.

Yes, not all the doors close perfectly, but that is what you get with a 170 year old house. None of those imperfections detracted from our stay. If anything it is part of the charm of the house. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel experience, with rain showerheads, this isn't the property for you.

The owners do have several dogs and a cat, but they were very friendly. The wifi is spotty, so you won't be streaming movies. No A/C, but each room has a fans/fans, and we were never uncomfortable.

Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!