“Lovely hideaway in Wakefield!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast

Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wakefield
Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast
You added Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
154 Post Road, Wakefield, South Kingstown, RI 02879   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Wakefield B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, Connecticut
“Lovely hideaway in Wakefield!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent one night at the Eden Manor last Saturday for a quick weekend getaway to the Narragansett area, and I would not hesitate to return.

The house is set well back from the road, in extensive grounds, making for a very quiet stay. The house itself is a huge, gorgeous Victorian home, extensively renovated and lovingly maintained. It must have been quite grand in it's heyday. The ceilings are high, staircases are sweeping and the proportions and layout of the rooms are very elegant. The guest rooms and common areas (which are extensive) are furnished in period style and are very inviting. I particularly liked that the entire house smelled of freshly cut flowers, which grow in profusion in the gardens.

We were greeted by the innkeeper, Bernadette Eden, who runs the inn with her husband. We never met him, but we only stayed one night. Bernadette is very pleasant and welcoming but unobtrusive. We also encountered a couple of her daughters, who were lovely, polite children. We never saw or heard any dogs, as others have mentioned, but we did encounter one tiny kitten running through the house...very cute.

We stayed in Room 2, at the top of the stairs, with a view overlooking the gardens. This room has a fireplace, wonderful floor to ceiling windows, and an en-suite bathroom. The queen size bed was comfortable. Linens are all mismatched but quite clean. We asked for extra pillows and they were brought immediately. We had a dresser with plenty of drawer space, a small closet and two comfy arm chairs. There were nice lamps for reading and an alarm clock. The room does not have a TV or phone, although there is a large flatscreen TV in the common living room for guests' use.

The house has no air conditioning, which we knew in advance from reading other reviews, but we thought we could deal with it for one night, given that the price for the room ($175 for a Saturday night!) was so very reasonable for this area. When we entered our room there was a box fan in one window, and a pedestal fan. We were very hot, but with all the windows open at night and the fans blowing right on us, we were able to sleep. To be fair to the Edens, I imagine the cost of AC in this house would be prohibitive. I would happily stay here at any other time of year, but I don't know that I'd try it again during a July heat wave.

The bathroom was very old fashioned. In fact, I believe the tub and sink may be original fixtures to the house. This is fine with me as everything was in good working order. We had plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Towels are mismatched like the sheets, but big, clean and plentiful. They provide the tiniest cakes of soap I have ever seen! There were also single use plastic packets of shampoo. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so running the shower added tremendously to the heat of the room. There are also no outlets in the bathroom, so I had to use my hairdrier in the bedroom and unplug the fan so as not to blow a fuse.

My only real issue here was that I don't believe our bathroom had been cleaned after the previous guest. I think this must have been an oversight since the rest of the house seemed very clean. It wasn't filthy or disgusting, but the sink and tub needed a scrub (someone's used bar of soap still in the holder), and I had to flush the toilet. I'm sure if I had asked Bernadette would have taken care of it, but as I said, it wasn't bad enough to bother us.

Breakfast is set out buffet style in the dining room, and we ate outside on the wide, covered porch, which was lovely and peaceful and had room for several individual tables. The Edens put out two hot dishes, a baked french toast dish and really good breakfast sausage, as well as fruit salad, homemade breads, bagels/muffins, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. Everything was tasty and plentiful.

My favorite part of our stay was returning to the inn after a long, hot day of sightseeing and falling asleep in their wonderful hammock under the pine trees. Great place for a nap! I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nyack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The only reason I would hesitate wholly recommending this gem is...I don't want it to get so popular that I can't get a room!

If you're looking for a comfortable room in a gorgeous house with quiet, privacy, a lush backyard, and relatively easy access to the beach, this is the place for you. I visited with 5 other people and we all loved the place. We went looking for relaxation and found it. Lots of quiet spots to read, draw, etc. I loved the breakfasts, and the pets, and the family who runs the place.

There's a cute little town nearby for shopping, and it's an easy 25 minute drive to the beach. I can't wait to return to Eden Manor.

Room Tip: My husband, kids, and I had the 2 queen beds / shared bath on the 2nd floor and it was large and ver...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mahwah, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a last minute selection for me as I was going to visit my son at URI family weekend. I was "stuck" with a room with a shared bathroom down the hall and expected very little. Well, the room was beautiful, and spacious, the bed was so comfortable and the bathroom down the hall was no problem. So i give this place 5 stars, but if you are looking for a plush high end resort this isnt it, The towels are adequate but not big fat and fluffy and this very old home probably could use a few minor upgrades. But that's the only criticism i can find!!! The owners are very welcoming. As are their children who assist. All are friendly. Breakfast was spectacular both days we stayed. The grounds are green and beautiful. It is a beautiful old home. It was a very homey feel and I will definitely be back.....Larry H

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

i'm not sure that I can add much, most of the reviews seems fair and accurate. The house was built in 1840, and was restored by the current owners less than 10 years ago. A lot of work went into the restoration, and it is evident throughout the house. The property sits on 5 acres, and the grounds are well maintained. I recommend spending some time on the hammock by the pine trees! The owners, and their family, are lovely people, and are very easily to deal with.

Easy to get to location, right off the Wakefield exit on Route 1. A short drive into the town of Wakefield, and about 10 -12 minutes to the Narragansett town beach.

Yes, not all the doors close perfectly, but that is what you get with a 170 year old house. None of those imperfections detracted from our stay. If anything it is part of the charm of the house. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel experience, with rain showerheads, this isn't the property for you.

The owners do have several dogs and a cat, but they were very friendly. The wifi is spotty, so you won't be streaming movies. No A/C, but each room has a fans/fans, and we were never uncomfortable.

Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed at the Eden Manor for four days in late May. It is a wonderful relaxed setting in a classic New England Victorian home. The family and owners live on the premises. It is a family operated guest house and they are very helpful and relaxed. This is not a hotel so if you are expecting hotel service this is not the place. The rooms are very nice, the grounds are wonderful, the antique furniture and settings are a wonderful experience and ambiance. My only regret is that I could not stay longer and enjoy the setting and place more due to travel schedule. The breakfast is just fine and home cooked. Yes notes are left for guests but I find this charming.
I will stay here again and highly recommend it to others....a classic Rhode Island experience.
The location is close to URI, Wakefield, Highway 1 north and south, and Narragansett beaches and Block Island and Newport. If you are going to these places, stay here....Mike Carroll

Room Tip: Ask the owners for your preferences. If you need a ground floor room, they will accomodate you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

My husband and I had travelled around the country and our lodging of choice is always a bed and breakfast. We have to give it a thumb down....very disappointed. The premises although clean, it looks like it needs some home improvements. Walls are cracked, the door to our bedroom didn't close well. The bathrooms were very outdated. Lets talk about the breakfast. The food was terrible. It looks like there was no effort put into it. The coffee was watery and the food seems to be left over from the day before. It didn't appear that the food was cooked on premises.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

On arrival we waited fifteen minutes to check in before I finally went round to the family's area to find the owners.

On first appearance, our room was brilliant and very spacious . However, some of the furnishings were quite worn and the bathroom was in dire need of modernisation. During the night we were woken by children running around in the room above us.

Breakfast was OK but a very limited choice - it was not topped up so as we were later down than some of the other guests we did not get the choice they had.

In fairness to the owners they had had a very busy family time with children's parties, etc, which probably accounts for us not being met appropriately and children running around during the night. However, we were paying guests!
Moira (Hertfordshire UK)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!