“Good Food but not real Clean” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Milan
“Good Food but not real Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Try the homemade corned beef hash on the weekends only! It is fabulous. The food is great and the old diner is cute although run down and a bit difficult to keep clean. Everytime we were there, there was a terrible odor in the place, could not put my finger on what it was but it was terrible! If we had not been starving, we would have left because the smell affected the enjoyment of the food. The place is always packed on the weekends so get up early to get breakfast. I am not sure how the health deparment gave them a permit for the serving areas, did not see the kitchen but for the most part it is not real clean. If that does not phase you, then go for this place the food is good!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fall River, Massachusetts
“Breakfast with a side of history!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Finding ourselves hungry and in Pawtucket one Saturday afternoon, my son and I decided to give the Modern Diner a try. Though I recall eating there at their original location in the late 60's / early 70's, I had not visited since the diner was moved from downtown. It's been a while!

First of all for you diner fans, this one is a classic Sterling Streamliner, shaped something like an art deco train car with chrome trim on the outside and old wood booths and molding on the inside. This place has a very comforting feel about it.

Our waitress was busy but efficient and she quickly had a couple of coffees in front of us while we took a look at the menu. Only breakfast is served on Saturdays so, with our choices narrowed, I ordered the cranberry and almond pancakes which is served with an orange syrup. My son had the French toast with a side of sausage. My pancakes (an order of three) were plate sized and quite thick though still fluffy. I guess I wasn't as hungry as I thought since I had to leave half of one on the plate.. My son enjoyed his French toast and the sausage was delicious.

I love the atmosphere of the of this diner. The food was pretty good but since we had basic breakfast fare I would have to try a few more dishes before I could say more. Guess I'll just have to come back!

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NY-NJ
“Retro classic with good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

A vintage "streamliner" diner, lovingly restored, with a menu to match. Service was very friendly. We were advised by an exiting patron to select from their specials, so we tried omelettes with corned beef hash and linguica hash, respectively. Both were huge and very good, and the home fries were fantastic.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rhode Island
“They have the most innovative breakfast menu.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

They have the most innovative breakfast menu.

New Jersey
“Good, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

The food was adequate and the coffee weak. What makes this place so popular is the building which is of a bygone period.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere