“A lovely site but .........” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Historic Sites, History Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A National Historic Landmark, the Slater Mill is a living history museum and educational center.
Providence RI
“A lovely site but .........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I visited this mill site on Columbus Day 2008 and thought it was a free weekend so I was unprepared for the $10 tour charge. (There is no notation anywhere on any of their websites that there IS a fee or what it costs). I did not take the tour but wandered around the grounds and enjoyed looking in the windows.
When I returned home and read the two reviews, one mentioning a film at the visitor's center, I was disappointed that the young girl at the ticket desk/gift shop had not bothered to alert me that there even was a film there.

Mass
“Wow ... some rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

My children visited this place for a field trip. I don't know any other way to say this, but the staff was rude. It was poring rain outside and this 10 person group was told to wait outside because there were too many students already in the building. It's not that this group was late ... they were right on time (even after they had been bumped to handle a class from Connecticut).

I could give some more examples ... oh well, just a place to avoid in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Slater mill is interesting, but not for young kids. Ages 9 and over.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2004

Slater Mill displays lots of history about the industrial revolution. Some background history might be a good idea to make the trip worthwhile.

A TripAdvisor Member
“A Great Family Attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2003

My husband and I visited on opening day, May 3, 2003 with our 5 year old daughter. We all had a wonderful time! There is something for everyone!My husband enjoyed the water mill and the actual machines it ran upstairs. My daughter loved the house because they showed her what children, her age, in the 1830s would use and play with. The demonstrations are fun to watch! I loved the actual mill because of my keen interest in sewing and knitting. The tour guides were very good and entertaining!A must do if you are in the area! Allow 2 hours minimum. We did go across the street and watch the video in the Visitors Center. Not boring at all.