“Best Rueben's anywhere!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Massachusetts
“Best Rueben's anywhere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

When I was working, I would pass by Bentley's once or twice a month, a colleague who lives in the area suggested that I stop in for a Rueben sandwich. He said that the owner makes his own corned beef. That did it for me, I stopped in with other folks from my office and we all ordered Rueben's! Unbelievably good...from that point on it became a regular stop for me as well as for others looking for lunch places in the area!

The restaurant is also clean and the staff is friendly!

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

northeast ct
“Second time as good as first”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

This was our second visit ( myslef, lovely bride and eldest daughter). Wea arrived about 6:30 on a Saturday and their were several seats left. We were promptly seated. My eldest ordered the chili and chips $8. The chili was a large bowl served piping hot. It was hearty and had plenty of ground beef. The taste was somewhat unfamiliar but delicious. She did not finish ( I galliantly stepped up and helped).

Our premeal mixed salads arrived and like our first visit did not disappoint. These are the best salads that we've ever had come with a meal, mixed greens, cheese, tomatoe, peppers, onions in a vinegerette, tremendous.

The eldest had pistachio encrusted salmon and raved about it. It was cooked perfectly and had an excellent flavor.
My lovely bride had th 8 oz beef tenderloin, ordered med well with sides od asparagus and zucchini. The beef was excellent , hot and cooked perfectly. The zucchini was grilled and a bit to done as the centers were droopy and retatined little flavor,

I had the 12 oz beef tenderloin ordered medium with asparagus and mashed. The beef again was hot and coked to perfection. The asparagus was perfect, the mashed cool and overly salted.

All in all a good meal. The place was filled tro capacity and people were waiting as we left. Though the place is small there was only one waitress and she was unfrazzled and did a great job considerung how busy the place was. We enjoyed the entertainment prior to leaving their Neil Young, Tom Petty and Gerry Garcua are dead on.

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hartford, Connecticut
“What a Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We have been driving by Bentley's Tavern for years, never tried it. It was always busy but just not somewhere we would have thought to stop at. After hearing good reviews from 2 friends, we are so glad we listened to them. We went early as it is very small. Any open tables filled up very quickly and the bar was full. There was only one waitress for the tables and one bartender, but service was never an issue. Everything was very good. The salads are excellent and we both had entrees that we enjoyed. Definitely will be returning.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
northeast ct
“What a great surprise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife, 20 yo daughter and I stopped on a whim. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but we're always up for an adventure. The first impression when you enter is, small. A bar that seats 20 or so and about a dozen tables for 2/4 along with a corner table for 5. Overall a typical pub interior.
This was a Weds night and there was acoustic entertainment ( he was very good). We ordered beers and "homemade" chips and salsa. This would prove to be the night's only disappointment and the 4 rating rather than the 5 in value. The salsa was bland at best, heavy on cilantro and watery. The portion of chips small.
We ordered and the entrees arrived quickly and piping hot. My daughter had pistachio encrusted salmon. It was an odd combo but the two distinct flavors complemented each other well and was cooked perfectly. My lovely bride had pesto glazed pork tenderloin and it too was wonderful. Her side of mashed may be the best mashed potatoes I've ever add (sorry Memere and Mom). I had baked penne with sausage, roasted red peppers, spinach and onions in marinara. The portion was huge, I very seldom do not finish and I brought half home. Total bill including (4) Magic Hat Circus Boys and a diet coke was $81.
Lest I forget the salads served with the meals were large, fresh and had an assortment of greens w/ shaved mozzarella and olives, nice touch. I'll be back...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere