“Bait and Switch” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in North Kingstown
Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Bait and Switch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

While it sounds from other reviews as if the actual hotel is equally bad, I wouldn't know. When I arrived after a long drive in desperate need of a bathroom, I was placed in a room across the street. No reason was given for this, but the clerk seemed to have difficulty finding my reservation. To be clear, I booked my room and paid in full for my entire stay two full months in advance of my trip.

The room I was given was abysmal. There was no number on the door to my room (the clerk instructed me to use the room next door to determine which room was mine). The toilet may have flushed eventually, but I didn't stay long enough to find out. Wifi was promised, but did not work. The floor honestly may have been softer than the bed. There was no soap or shampoo. The room had a sliding glass back door that opened to the yard behind the motel. Security mechanisms on this door were nonexistent apart from a flimsy lock. When I went to the front desk on site, it was locked and there was a sign directing me to the lobby across the street (the one I just came from and where I had a reservation).

I left the room after only an hour and sought accommodations elsewhere. When confronted with my complaint, the hotel declined to offer a refund or any compensation. Having been foolish enough to pay in advance, I am now working to have those charged refunded. I failed to check reviews here on TripAdvisor and paid the price for it. Heed my warning and the warnings from other reviews on this site and avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Otley West Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Found this place quite late in the day. They claimed they were full on that site but we could use the site over the road, the implication being it was part of the same place. It isn't. The room had a odd smell and was far below the standard we've had at other ABVI sites. We feel that we were on the managers own site and he is using ABVI as a front and pockeying the money himself. Having been touring around the US and Canada for the past 6 weeks I can now say we have a new leading for our award for the worst accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013
Shelton, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Located on a seedy section of the Post Road, had to be buzzed in to the office at 3pm (should tell you something). The room STUNK. The smell was in our nostril for hours. We went out soon after for a bite to eat. The room stunk so bad we decided not to leave anything in the room. Unfortunately we reserved over the internet and the cost was not refundable. We decided to accept the loss and look elsewhere. We found a CLEAN Holiday Express, for less money 5 miles away in Warwick with a complimentary breakfast and friendly staff. If we hadn't found the Holiday I think the car or returning home would have been the alternative. This motel should NOT be on any list of accommodations.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We needed a not too expensive place to stay on our last night before driving up to Providence and than Boston.
The people were very friendly and the rooms were clean enough.
The beds were fine and we did not have any trouble with noise from neighbours or the road in front of us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Phone doesn't work and not even a dial tone. Sealing looks like it was leaking. Toilet doesn't flush well. Beds are wrapped up in plastic sheets. Sheets are not changed. Smells mold. Spiders in rooms. Floor uneven. Room shakes !

Why is this motel not condemned with all these violations

Room Tip: Call the town and ask why this
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Warwick, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Americas Best Value Inn ! This must be a joke when it comes to the one in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. This worst value Inn is disgusting, over priced, smelly place with cracked walls, leaky faucets, no heat, toilet doesn't flush, ceiling looks like it was leaking and beds are so hard and wrapped up in plastic sheets, perhaps, to prevent bed bugs coming out.

I didn't even check in even at the time of blizzard and power outage in Rhode island.

Room Tip: Avoid ! Call the authorities.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Warwick, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

America's Best Value Inn in North Kingstown, Rhode Island lacks even basic things such as sufficient heat and quality toilet. The room shakes while walking and they recycle unwashed bed sheets. There are cracks on the walls and ceiling looks like it was leaking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
3.0 of 5 stars 131 reviews
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area

Been to Americas Best Value Inn North Kingstown? Share your experiences!