“Friendly and Picturesque” 4 of 5 stars

New England, USA
10 attraction reviews
“Friendly and Picturesque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Wickford Village is a lovely spot to spend a summer afternoon. For the second year in a row, one of my good friends and I have enjoyed visiting here. The ride from her home in Providence was only about 1/2 hour. Once you leave the highway, it's just a short ride and it feels like you stepped back in time. There are numerous quaint gift stores located in the historic old buildings. The village is located at a harbor upon which there are many sailboats.

We arrived in the late morning and shopped a bit. It is not the place to go if you are an avid shopper looking for many many stores. It does have some unique and interesting places though. I enjoyed the Shaggy Chic pet boutique as they had lots of cute gift ideas for pet lovers. For jewelry, we checked out the Green River Silver Company which has many nice things. The book store on the corner was great too.

For lunch, we dined at Tavern By the Sea. We sat outside on the dock and enjoyed the view and music. Prices were reasonable and the clam chowder was very good, in my opinion. For dessert, we stopped by the chocolate store (forgive me, I cannot think of the name) and had truffles. The ladies in the chocolate store were very welcoming and friendly and the chocolates were creamy and delicious.

Wickford Village is a great spot to check out for a few hours on a nice day. For locals from RI and MA, it's not a long ride to feel like you're away. For visitors to the area, it's an enjoyable way to experience one of New England's old seaside villages.

www.wickfordvillage.org has lots of information on happenings and places to go.