“needs a big time renovation” 1 of 5 stars

Lighthouse Inn of Galilee
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   307 Great Island Road, Narragansett, RI 02882   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Narragansett
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“needs a big time renovation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I never really write reviews but I must weigh in on this place. We stayed one night, 8/5/10 as we were taking the Ferry to Block Island the following morning. In my opinion this Inn was disgusting. We were in room 131 to be exact. Dirty rugs, ripped curtains, a bathroom door that didn't close, and even a banana peel left in the garbage greeted us upon arrival. I would have left and asked for a refund but we arrived at 11:30 pm so i was too tired to do it. I told my wife and daughter lets just get through the night- we slept in our clothes! Another thing- be prepared to smell fish all night as a fishery is just accross the street. What a total disappointment.
I try to give these small operations the business but the bottom line is you must stay with the big chains to get consistant cleanliness and service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
LighthouseinnGM, Manager at Lighthouse Inn of Galilee, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw of your recent stay. I apologize for the condition of the room and you can expect to see a credit for the stay. As it was late I realize you just wanted to get to sleep but we are happy to address any room issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at the Lighthouse Inn last night, after coming back from Block Island. We had booked a package that included our room, two ferry tickets and free parking (the motel is directly across the street from the ferry). It was a pretty good deal.

From reading other reviews, I was very nervous about staying here. However, it was much better than I expected. The room was clean and very adequate. The bed linens seemed clean as well and I didn't notice any strange smell in the room. And the AC was freezing cold, so no complaints there! If you're looking for an inexpensive, no-frills place to crash after a long day on Block Island, this is a good choice.

The staff members who helped us at the front desk were friendly and accommodating. And the lobby area was much nicer than I would have expected from a beach motel.

As for the seagull poop, it was definitely something I noticed, but obviously not the motel's fault. You'll find this at every restaurant or building in the area - it's a seaside fishing town and there are seagulls galore. My only complaint is those noisy seagulls who woke us up at the crack of dawn ... maybe someone can tell them to keep it down? ; )

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
LighthouseinnGM, Manager at Lighthouse Inn of Galilee, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We try very hard to be just what you discribed, a great value for individuals and families traveling to Block Island for the day. I hope we will see you again soon.
Ansonia, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We just got home from the Lighthouse Inn and had a wonderful time. Could not wait to write this review. Before we came to the hotel we read the reviews and were afraid to stay there, but once we got there it was very clean and we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff were very nice and the pool was very clean also. We also tried to look for places to eat in the area and found that the hotel restaurant was the best food around. Nikki's is the best and the cook "Tim" was awesome. The food came out to us hot and delicious. I know we will be staying there next year... CAN'T WAIT. As far as the seagulls, can't help that..we had a contest every morning when we got up and looked outside to see whose car got hit the most and I won. LOL

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and wanted to share your experience. Chef Tim is a character and we are grateful to have him running the restaurant this year. I will gladly share your comments with the rest of the staff and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Cheshire CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

This was probably a nice seaside hotel in the 70s/80s, but has not been maintained. Goldfish pond in the lobby, tea/coffee stand, in house bar/restaurant, big pool area with slate floor. But: at the reception desk, you are greeted by a fridge housing the staff's leftovers; very unsightly. Clammy cheap carpet, non-working AC (blows cool not cold air), 3 dim lights that leave corners of the room dark, polyester bedding that cooks you. There is one large window only, overlooking the parking lot so you have to keep the curtains closed, leaving the room in gloom. Just as well; housekeeping had left trash beneath the furniture to welcome us. Bathroom floor is gross and grimy around the edges. The pool area is large but very dark and dingy. The pool has a small shallow area that quickly drops off to the deep end. No towels were provided (they are available at the desk; you have to ask). Fake foliage everywhere, dusty and looming. Other hotel patrons left food debris on the poolside table, that wasn't cleared hours later. The hotel is right across from the Block Island ferry, so the location is very convenient. When you are the only hotel of any size in the area, I guess you can charge what you like and let the buyer beware. Too much of the authentic old style beach experience for us to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
LighthouseinnGM, General Manager at Lighthouse Inn of Galilee, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your feed back on your recent stay. I apologize that the room was left with any issues of cleanliness. I have addressed the leftovers issues and we have tested every air conditioner to ensure they work properly. Most of the foliage in the pool area is actually real. I appreciate you taking the time to mention some of the features of the hotel. We have added staff to ensure the public space is picked up daily but I will continue work to improve this. We are an older property but our rates are among the lowest in the area and we stive to maintain a clean and comfortable facility.
Mount Savage, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

My family has been here on one other occasion and my family and I liked it enough to come back! The location is great. Easy access to many beaches, shopping, restaurants, the college, etc., but is in a quiet location. The dock across the street with the fishing boats coming and going adds to the atmosphere. The ferry to Block Island is right there as well and no fast food restaurants or other eye sores in sight (but easy driving distance). If you're a biker like me you'll love the access to the great roads right from the hotel with outstanding bike lanes. The pool is very large in a huge (understatement) room that allows you to swim anytime! The pool is also heated and well maintained. The room was also clean. On our second stay we had trouble with our sink and was immediately offered another room or discount. The management is very kind, helpful, and makes sure you're satisfied with your stay. We're headed back (from MD) to see our daughter (who just graduated from URI and has fell in love with the area and a guy and probably not coming back to MD) and we plan on staying at the Lighthouse.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Manchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We come each year and find the beds and pillows to be as comfortable as the ones at a Marriott or Hilton. The hotel is perfect for getting away for a couple of days. Everyone treats us like family. Our one complaint last year was the lounge but it is much better. We will be coming back some time later this summer with the kids.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

While the staff was accommodating, pleasant and offered a refund, the guest rooms and exterior of the inn are run down. There are renovations occurring in the lobby, but did not feel comfortable staying in any of the rooms. My friends arrived first and waited in their SUV because they didn't want to stay in the room. There is a great B&B near by for less money with clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
LighthouseinnGM, General Manager at Lighthouse Inn of Galilee, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I regret your electing not to stay with us but am glad we made it right and everyone was friendly.

Been to Lighthouse Inn of Galilee? Share your experiences!