“Five Million Dollar View(from main building) & Caveat Emptor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Rose Inn

You added Ocean Rose Inn to your Saves list
Ocean Rose Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   113 Ocean Road, Narragansett, RI 2882   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Narragansett
newton,ma
“Five Million Dollar View(from main building) & Caveat Emptor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived at the Ocean Rose Inn with not a little trepidation as some of the reviews on this site were really bad!. There are two different experiences at this Inn .I know this as a fact, as I was traveling with my two sisters, and my daughter, for a "Girls' Weekend". My sisters stayed in the 1950;s vintage motel in back of the Main Inn & that is what they got-including a musty odor that seemed to have survived the 50's!!!! There were two queen beds crammed into the room and a tiny bathroom-no hair dryer, etc. I think, at least, part of the probem is that the rooms do not get an airing out, being on the ground floor, etc.
However, my daughter and I stayed in the main building (second floor-room 34) thanks, in no small part, to my sister's generosity. The room was huge, ocean front with a little deck which had chaise lounges-would have preferred upgright chairs to see the view-however many people do appreciate a lounge for sunbathing. The room was light and airy with a very high ceiling, recalling the days of Victorian Inns where one went to cool off. pre-invention of air conditong It smelled fresh and clean, the ocean breeze was incredible. The room had both A/C, a ceiling fan and well screened windows & sliidng doors, so one could have either fresh air, A/C, fan, or any combination of above. Amenites included a mini-fridge-very cool, a hair dryer, shampoo, Kleenex, anda coffee Maker. I think most folks use their own personal care products,anyway, as they have unique preferences.
The king -size bed was beautifully carved and had a sumptuously soft mattress with a feather -bed type topping that i sunk into and found even more comfortable than my pillow top,firm mattress(at home) I did have some difficulty sleeping due to my allergies and I discovered the following morning that the pillows were a down/feather combination-unusual these days, as so many folks suffer allergies. After taking my allergy med, I did sleep very well.
The sheets were sparkling white and soft, and the room was very clean. The towels were very small, but clean.. (Of course, this room was about double the cost of the motel type room)
Ray who manned the front desk was polite and helpful. When I asked him about the pillows, he said that the pillows were put in the rooms randomly, so I am not sure if I had called down for a down aternative pillow, it would have been available.
The Ocean Rose Inn has a few idiosycrasies:
1) No bell hop/elevator service
2) There is no breakfast option at the Inn. There is good,fresh coffee in the lobby in the morning. It would have been nice to have muffins available. In fact, I have never stayed at an Inn, hotel, or B & B (& I have traveled, extensvely),where there was no minimal food available. On further inquiry, it develops that the Inn and the Restaurant ( does not take reservations) where we did not eat, but seemed to be very busy, are two distinct operations.
There are numerous other options in the area for breakfast and other meals. The restaurant does not serve lunch, either.
The parking was fine. I was concerned having traveled by car to Newport, in the past, in the summer, to an Inn, and then not having adequate parking available. We three sisters
arrived from different directions and thus had three cars which we were able to park in the Inn's lot, which is by no means huge.
3) There are no grounds to speak of for this Inn, other than the parking lot, as the front lawn is taken up by tables and chairs and a bar serving alcohol quite late with the result that people are out front, having a good time and making noise. directly below the front bedrooms.
4) I callled down about the noise at 1 AM and was told that according to "Narragansett Law", the revelers could stay on the front lawn premises until 1:20 AM. Ons solution is to close the door and windows and use the A/C which negates the beauty of receiving the sea air.
As I mentioned, there are a few indiosyncracies to be found here !!!!!
I would stay here, again, because of the beauty and convenience of the location. Narragansett is lovely and not over run with tourists-tho that may have been due to the fact that the weather forecast for the weeked was not great. We still got to enjoy the beach, surf, and all. Beach parking $15 across the street (Parking directy adjacent to the beach is by beach pass/permit only.
Also, be prepared to pay $6/head daily fee to walk onto the beach, in additon to parking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
It is always wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay while at the Ocean Rose Inn. The view from the balcony deck is just simply amazing to say the least. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Doug Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just got back from spending the weekend. The Inn is in a great location right across the street from the water and we took advantage with a couple of nice walks. We stayed in the motel annex on the 2nd floor. Nice view and the room was clean but nothing special. Bare minimum equipped and the bed wasn't great. Could definitely use some updating. Nice restaurant with a great bar. See separate review for Turtle Soup. Overall the place is fine for a night or two but don't expect anything special.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay while at our Inn located in Narragansett. We certainly hope you were able to enjoy our great beaches and wonderful dining.
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Ocean Rose met and exceeded our expections. Wonderful room with a million dollar view from our balcony.We arrived to a spotless room and returned everyday to the same.The resturant is outstanding.We will return and stay over and over.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a second floor room with a ocean view
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
We are always glad to hear that we had met and exceeded you expectation while staying at our Inn. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This Ocean front Inn is beautiful, clean and the view is amazing. The beds are so comfortable and the bathrooms are huge. The only thing I would change is get more comfortable chairs on the deck, Not everyone wants to recline on a chaise and with the chaise you cannot see ocean which is really what you are paying for. Also more outlets would be great also. When we come back next year we will definately book our days here.

sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
We are always glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while at our Inn. The ocean views from your room are just a spectacular site. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Willimantic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This Inn is really nice. Our room being the least expensive was in the motel in the back of the inn. The room was small, but VERY clean. I appreciated that. We also had 2 white plastic chairs in front that we could relax a little in and see the bay. The restaurant was also very good, but the matre d' could have used a few lessons in manners.

, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
We certainly appreciate you taking time to let us know of your stay while at our Inn. We take all suggestions and comments quite seriously and continually look for ways improve our service and Inn.
Doug
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Inn looks great on-line and in the front, but the motel annex is something that is never mentioned and is moldy, tiny and had a horribly loud window air conditioner. We requested a crib for our infant son, but was told when we checked in that they didn't have any cribs. The restaurant was great- good food and good services, but didn't make up for the horrible motel.

Room Tip: call if you need a crib or any amenities ahead of time. don't assume they will have what you nee...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments and suggestions during your stay while at the Inn. We will certianly check into the issues you mentioned.
Sincerely
Doug
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The website does not mention in great detail that there are two buildings. The INN in the front is beautiful, unfortunately we did not stay in the front INN, We got to stay in the back building. There are also no pictures of the back building on the Website, after staying there for a night, I now know why they do not post pictures. The first night I bushed my teeth in the tiny, gas station like bathroom, and the sink automatically clogged. The toilet was completely brown, inside and out.. and the word "HELL" was written in graffiti on the wall. ( "very charming"). It was also very hot and muggy in the room, so we put on the A/C unit. That A/C Banged, rattled, and shaked all night long! The A/C was so nosiey! I woke up every 15 mins to that sound of the extremely loud, ancient A/C system. To top it all off, my husband found a huge yellow stain in our sheets, and I found a black makeup stain on my section of the bed. We wondered if they even washed the sheets. This particular room was the worst hotel room I've ever stayed in! I got absolutely no sleep and I feel like I was in danger using their bathroom, and sleeping in the seemed to be unwashed beds! :(

Room Tip: Make sure You know your not in the back building!
, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn you’re unhappy with the Inn. Please accept my sincere apology.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests.. Because our success is measured by how guests evaluate our service and facilities, I want you to know that your comments we received are taken quite seriously. They will tell us what we’re doing right and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from reoccurring.
Sincerely
Doug Brady

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!