“Surprise Surprise.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 86 Restaurants in Narragansett
Cuisines: Chowder, Fish & Chips, American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Overlooking the Block Island Sound in the picturesque fishing port of Galilee, George's of Galilee Waterfront Seafood Restaurant has been serving generations of families its award winning signature dishes since 1948. We offer the widest selection of fresh local boat-to-plate seafood, a new sushi menu, lobster specials, as well as fresh hand-cut rib eye steaks. Choose from five different dining rooms on two floors, al fresco dining, and our takeout window, all with spectacular RI waterfront views. Check for live entertainment and special events on our covered deck. Be sure to visit our gift shop and Nana's Ice Cream & Gelato and Nana's Candy Bar.
Marlborough, Connecticut
“Surprise Surprise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Almost didn't bring our 18 family members here to celebrate a birthday after reading the reviews. Cons. Our server forgot to bring water and a few drinks both of which we got ourselves thanks to the bar upstairs. Hard to please everyone in a large party but Georges did. Pros.The food was steaming hot, thumbs-up for that, and delicious. Lobsters, salmon, and steaks were all cooked to perfection. Thanks Georges.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Springfield, Massachusetts
“An Hour wait for a Ceasar Salad!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have been going to George's for years. Usually sit at the bar and order food and always enjoyed it. Great service etc. Last year, restaurant got a face lift. Newly renovated first floor, outside seating etc. Unfortunately the kitchen did not....chaos.in season....After waiting at the bar for a seat, we (my partner and I) sat down,, ordered our usual Ceasar Salad, one with shrimp, one with steak...After waiting an hour, the bartender came over and to his credit, apologized that "the grill was backed up"....did not charge us for our drinks and we left.

George's is a great place, but in season, be prepared to wait for service and your meal until they either hire more kitchen help or remodel the kitchen.....

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Newport, Rhode Island
“nice location, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

my husband an I visited the beach today, for lunch we decided to get some seafood from the take out window at George's of galilee.

the employees were very nice and friendly, however all of them were new and not trained
so they had to keep going out back to ask questions.
the location is fabulous right on the state beach, they have a take out window so you can go back to the beach with your food, or if you would prefer you could go into the more formal but casual indoor dining room, out door lower patio or upper patio that has a great view.

todays visit was my second visit there. last year I went and got chowder and clam cakes, the cakes were heavy and full of grease. today I got whole belly clams, I paid $15.99 for about 8-12 whole bely fried clams I thought this was a small portion for the price, but hey we were at the beach everything is pricy. upon first bite they were yummy, but the 4th clam was bad...thought nothing about it could happen with clams every now and then. I ate one more, and it was yummy. then upon the next one I had to spit it right out it was bad, so was the last 4 I had. they smelled rotten, and tasted rotten. when I say rotten I mean I had to spit it right out onto the sand in front of everyone and had all I can do to keep myself from getting sick. my husband said it was in my head, but when he investigated the rest of the clams in my box he found that brown smelly slimy stuff oozed out of them.
I can understand a bad clam here and there in a batch of clams, but to have 5 out of 12 be bad means that they were serving out dated clams, or not storing their clams correctly.
the clams were not the only thing bad, the French fries were hollow and full of grease, the coleslaw tasted sour, at first I thought it was bad but realized the sour taste was vinegar.

I would say that most people go to this place for the live entertainment on the weekend, view and location, not the food.

I would like to point out that I brought the food to the window and complained and they were nice and gave me back my money.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Decent but there are better spots in the area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Service & Atmosphere were great, especially for a larger group, but the food was so-so. Other than the oysters, we found the rest of the meal bland and a bit dry.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“RI Seafood Delight!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We (me & my hubby) enjoy starting the beach season with some RI favorites - Steamers, Chowder, and Clam cakes. We tried 3 local restaurants and George's was the best for all 3 of these items. There were actually clams in both the chowder and clam cakes. A little pricey but the best for overall taste and seasoning!

• Visited May 2013