“A wonderful place to stay near the beach in a quiet neighborhood!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Best Kept Secret B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narragansett
Best Kept Secret B & B
You added Best Kept Secret B & B to your Saves list
46 Sewell Road, Corner of Sewell and Gaspee, Narragansett, RI 02882   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Narragansett B&B and Inns
New Hampshire
“A wonderful place to stay near the beach in a quiet neighborhood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night for URI parents weekend so we could visit our daughter and it couldn't have been better! Nancy and Tom are friendly and accommodating, and we had a lot of good conversation with them. The room was spacious and clean with a private bath. The breakfast was above average with fresh fruit, yogurt, multigrain blueberry pancakes and fresh eggs. We were lucky to have nice weather and walked to the beach the next morning after breakfast which is very close. We will definitely stay there again in the future!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wherever
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Best Kept Secret in Narragansett RI is in a quiet neighborhood, only a five minute walk to the beach. However, our party of four decided the many negatives outweigh the few positives, and at the rates we paid, we wouldn't stay there again, nor recommend it to our friends.

The positives:
Location, fresh fruit, fresh eggs, very good coffee, private 3/4 bath, microwave and mini-fridge upstairs to share with other guests

The negatives:
The room rate quoted over the phone was higher than what was advertised on the website, though I concede the ad said rates are subject to change. I suggested to the hostess that she update her website.
At Sunday breakfast when I was reminding my party that checkout was at noon, the hostess said she was changing it to 11 am because she had other guests arriving. (She had confirmed noon checkout when I booked the weekend.)
They ran out of cream for coffee (a B&B that runs out of cream?), also ran out of cream cheese and they didn't offer *breakfast meat or a second pot of coffee - we had to ask for them. (*When I asked for bacon and eggs there was ONE slice of bacon on my plate with my two eggs.) There were no home-baked goods as advertised. A store-bought fruit pie was on Saturday's breakfast table, still in its clear plastic container from the store, and its leftovers made an encore appearance on Sunday.
We really felt it was just a business to the hostess and host, and we didn't find this B&B to have an inviting atmosphere. Some examples: They knew there were four guests in our party, but only three towels and three washcloths were set out in the bathroom. Our room was very hot and stuffy when we got there (it would've been nice if the room was aired out/cooled down prior to our arrival). The bath towels were worn and faded (my friend called them dog towels); the bathmat was spotted with several bleach stains, the room could have used a dusting. Glass plates and cloth napkins would have been nice (the breakfast plates were plastic).
Even though it's only a five minute walk to the beach, for what we paid, this B&B is not a place we would stay at again, nor recommend to our friends.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
melchior22, Owner at Best Kept Secret B & B, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
I am sorry this vacationer, friend and their teenagers did not have a good stay - I would have done more if I had known. We serve breakfast up til 10am and their girls were sleeping everyday til 11, which made it hard for us to go about our usual day. I always ask what people want for breakfast and couldn't get a response from the teens. The mothers would get them up just before 11 and I did not know what to have in the house for them as they wouldn't tell me the day before! My husband ran out and got them bagels when they finally got up the first day.
I understand how hard some teens are as my daughter was one just a few years ago. I quoted the price and reconfirmed it over the phone before they arrived but they waited til they were leaving to pay, even though my policy is to pay upon arrival. They did not realize they had a linen closet to get their towels from. I am very upset that they had a bad stay and hope this never happens again to any of our valued customers. Please consider this is my only unfavorable review I've ever had. We love running a B & B mostly for the pleasure of meeting nice folks. Sincerely, Nancy, Best Kept Secret B & B
Providence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Tom and Nancy were very pleasant hosts. The chickens and cats on the grounds makes for some interesting company. Beach really is just a 5 minute walk away. Stayed in the room with a bath and found it roomy, clean and new. Breakfast was mediocre one day but above average the next. Would definitely go again when visiting Narragansett.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Had a lovely stay. The owners were extremely accommodating and even let us stay an extra night free of charge because of Hurricane Irene. Breakfast was great and included home made cakes!

• Stayed August 2011
Merrimack, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

First of all, you can't go wrong with three big cats who love you to death on the Victorian porch and four friendly chickens who provide the best eggs ever! Our breakfasts were ample with fruit, muffins or toast, eggs, French toast with cream cheese and blueberries (Yum!) and whatever else we might want. Nancy, our host along with her husband Tom, is gracious, friendly, creative and very helpful with suggestions, directions and good conversation. Their home is tastefully decorated (there are examples of her fabric art on the walls) and the breakfast room is welcoming and seats six. There are two lovely rooms available that are comfy and warmly furnished. We had the Rose Room. The house is a new (2005) Victorian with a great reading porch with wicker furniture which was perfect for a lazy afternoon after a day at the beach. It is in an extremely quiet neighborhood and joy of all joys, is literally a 6-7 minute walk to Scarborough Beach. We consider ourselves lucky to have found this gem of a stay and plan to return next summer for a longer time.

Room Tip: Rose Room has own internal bath but the other room has a private bath just outside its door.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I am reluctant to spend time at a B&B due to privacy issues, but our room had a private bathroom and the other room (where I have stayed before) has a bathroom right next door that is essentially a private bathroom since we were the only ones to use it during our visit. The location can't be beat. It's under a 5 minute walk to the Scarborough Beach, and in the other direction you can walk 5 minutes to find services including a nice, small cafe. The proprietors, Tom and Nancy are wonderful people, and make excellent pancakes or fresh eggs. There's also plenty to do nearby: the center of Narragansett is a five minute drive as is Galilee, where you can find more beaches, shops, seafood and the Block Island Ferry (a great day trip). Plus there are many excellent biking opportunities nearby. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, very clean, and come with cable and an extensive DVD library.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
New Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were looking for a quaint B&B near the beach for a brief overnight stay. As last minute planners, we were concerned that any room we found in mid July within walking distance to the beach in RI would be terrible, so our expectations were low. We were pleasantly surprised however as soon as we pulled up to the Best Kept Secret B&B, a charming Victorian with a beautiful porch adorned with lovely plants and flowers and napping cats. It felt very homey right away.

Nancy was very welcoming and showed us right to our room which was one of the smaller guest rooms, but it was still a decent size for a one night stay. The next morning we were served a delicious breakfast, family style with other guests. Nancy makes really great blueberry waffles and fresh eggs from their chickens in the backyard.
Not being familiar with the area we also asked a lot of questions about the local attractions and they were very helpful with recommendations and directions.

Overall, a nice experience. We would stay again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Best Kept Secret B & B? Share your experiences!