“Don't ever stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Narragansett
Rancho Santa Margarita
“Don't ever stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Arrived on a Thursday at 5 o'clock , there was no one to help us. Had to drive to another hotel in pay first and get the key. Room smelled of mold, the toilet ran very loud all night and there was nobody there to help us with that or anything else. The ceiling fan clicked so loudly we shut that off and tried to open the windows for some air. We got some air in the room but the windows had no screens in them so leaving them open for a long time was not a good thing. Bed was also very squeaky, the door had to be slammed very hard to close it, I'm sure the whole building shook.

When we checked out the next morning, I told the young man of all the problems, and he didn't respond at all. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

There is no 1/2 star rating availible to give to this roach motel. The only postive was they let me check in early, the desk clerk was as un attentive as I have ever seen a service person.

Unless of course it is the housekeeping staff. I stayed out back in "Skid Row". Dozens of ciggarette butts on the ground were strewn out front to welcome me. The furhinture and decor were clunky, mismatched and barely working. The room had a musty odor, but it was nice to see what beverages other folks had enjoyed as the maids left the bottle tops under the bed.

The carpet had a huge disgusting stain of blood or vomit. Perhaps a movie had been filmed here?

I was there for a wedding and kept my luggage in my car for fear of bed bugs.

There seems to be no attention to detail by staff, and the management clearly could care less about a guests experience, see the other reviews.

I got a deal for a hundred bucks and the location was prime. I wish I had borught a tent and just pitched it outside in the yard as I would have felt cleaner.

The owners ought ot be ashamed or keel hauled as it is right by the ocean.

PS There sister hotel did not look much better a very disgusitng pool.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine there are any good rooms. The roach motel out back did bring back fond memories of...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I have never left a hotel review before, but I can not let others deal with the same issues I had.
After a long drive in heavy friday afternoon traffic the first thing you would think to do when arriving at a hotel is not get back in your car and drive to another hotel to fetch your room keys but that was what I had to do this past weekend. They do not staff this hotel every day or at night so the check in process was handled at the Village Inn which is not on site, it is a few blocks away.

The maintenance and overall cleanliness of the hotel is lacking. There is no attention to detail when it comes to the overseeing of the housekeeping dept. The Comforters were dirty with ants crawling on them when I entered the room and no one to ask for a new one because there is no one working on site. Management proves over and over that it does not care about your stay and your well being, only your credit card number.

I come back to the main point. As there are NO employees on site to take care of hotel maintenance issues, when the fire panel starts ringing in the middle of the night (because of what I was later told was a known issue of faulty wiring) I was forced to call the other hotel at 4 am to be guided through the reset process of the fire alarm. This happened again on the second night of my stay as well. I have never before been responsible for maintenance and safety issues while a guest at a hotel and will not ever again.

It is so unfortunate that a hotel with this beautiful location would be this poorly run. I tried to get a refund of my nightly rate but yet again there was no one that could authorize that on site, I will continue trying and update when I get a response.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Horrendous - unless of course, you enjoy the company of mold and rusty nails. I think my old fly infested, beer soaked sorority house was cleaner and better kept. Don't be fooled by the clean exterior, it's a [--]. When I complained to the management, they acted as if surprised. No wonder they collect all money upfront. What a scam. Really deserves negative 10 stars.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed here at the recommendation of a bride whose wedding I was attending and who was also staying here with the rest of her wedding party. The only positive thing I can say is that it is conveniently located and has ocean views. The cost was $155 for a standard double occupancy room on the first floor during the off-season. The price was quite steep given the state of disrepair of the hotel. The lobby is rundown and the staff was completely indifferent. The room was spacious but shabby and smelled musty like it was old and unkept. There were no blinds or shades on the window but rather a torn tarp used to block the sun. The furniture was cheap and sparse and the room was painted an obnoxious sea foam green (I am sure the paint was discounted). There was a tiny balcony off of the room that accommodates only one plastic chair and nothing else. To be truthful, I could not see evidence of dirt on the carpet or linens but did not look too carefully as I was stuck there for the night and didn't want to uncover anything. They keep emphasizing "renovations" and there is a plaque in the lobby that states the same but it is difficult to imagine what renovations could possibly have been done? I was curious how this place was dressed up in their brochure and they showed pictures of their lovely "sister" property down the street. Wise marketing decision!.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

To give the Atlantic House its due our 3rd Floor 2 bedroom Apt is very spacious with a HUGE (albeit squishy) deck. The views across the Atlantic are great and a convenient intown location with a nice sidewalk along the ocean. Upon walking in the building your nose is immediately assaulted by that you know this place is not clean, mildew type smell that only a 20 plus year old dirty carpet can have. Up 3 steep flights of stairs, down a narrow, dirty hall with exposed 2x4’s we find our large suite. Just a series of minor things like broken or missing kitchen (and bath) cabinet doors, dirty oven, 2 mis-matched coffee cups, knifes that break in half when you cut a piece of cheese, dusty shelves, paint on fixtures that do not deserve paint, a toilet that runs all the time, furnishings way past dinged up. At first we said, well this is a nice 1-star place and then thought, no, it would not even earn 1-star! But, with this much space, in this great location if they really fixed it up they could easily charge 4-500+ per night and we only paid $130 for an off season weekend. So actually, the price/value relationship is not too bad. Just know what you are getting and do not expect much and you will be fine. Oh, and the front desk knows what they have here… when asked do I need to report any of the broken items in the room they said, “oh no, we know.” And when I told them how I had turned off the water to the toilet at night to keep it from running they basically said, “oh, that works”. Finally, I hope they at least replace the deck this off-season before someone falls thru next year.

Room Tip: Be sure you at least get oceanfront room with a deck and view. Ask if deck is safe.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Unfortunately we did not check Trip Advisor before making our reservation, big mistake. This hotel was on a list of recommendations provided by the wedding couple, so we went ahead with booking for 2 nights. The hotel is worn-down and has a dirty feeling. I didn't want to take off my shoes, touch the comforter, or get into the shower.

We sucked it up and stayed 1 night, but after a horrible night sleep checked out and made accomodations at a nearby bed & breakfast. Yes, it's located on the beach - but, any view is not worth an unkept room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantic House? Share your experiences!