“Decidedly .5 Stars” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Narragansett
Maine
“Decidedly .5 Stars”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

To give the Atlantic House its due our 3rd Floor 2 bedroom Apt is very spacious with a HUGE (albeit squishy) deck. The views across the Atlantic are great and a convenient intown location with a nice sidewalk along the ocean. Upon walking in the building your nose is immediately assaulted by that you know this place is not clean, mildew type smell that only a 20 plus year old dirty carpet can have. Up 3 steep flights of stairs, down a narrow, dirty hall with exposed 2x4’s we find our large suite. Just a series of minor things like broken or missing kitchen (and bath) cabinet doors, dirty oven, 2 mis-matched coffee cups, knifes that break in half when you cut a piece of cheese, dusty shelves, paint on fixtures that do not deserve paint, a toilet that runs all the time, furnishings way past dinged up. At first we said, well this is a nice 1-star place and then thought, no, it would not even earn 1-star! But, with this much space, in this great location if they really fixed it up they could easily charge 4-500+ per night and we only paid $130 for an off season weekend. So actually, the price/value relationship is not too bad. Just know what you are getting and do not expect much and you will be fine. Oh, and the front desk knows what they have here… when asked do I need to report any of the broken items in the room they said, “oh no, we know.” And when I told them how I had turned off the water to the toilet at night to keep it from running they basically said, “oh, that works”. Finally, I hope they at least replace the deck this off-season before someone falls thru next year.

Room Tip: Be sure you at least get oceanfront room with a deck and view. Ask if deck is safe.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Unfortunately we did not check Trip Advisor before making our reservation, big mistake. This hotel was on a list of recommendations provided by the wedding couple, so we went ahead with booking for 2 nights. The hotel is worn-down and has a dirty feeling. I didn't want to take off my shoes, touch the comforter, or get into the shower.

We sucked it up and stayed 1 night, but after a horrible night sleep checked out and made accomodations at a nearby bed & breakfast. Yes, it's located on the beach - but, any view is not worth an unkept room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed in the 3rd floor apartment (302 - center). Take their warning of "no elevator" to heart. Access to the 3rd floor apartments is in the back and very steep; not suitable for young children or those with health issues. The hallway access is dirty and reminded me of very poor college housing. The layout of the apartment was good - large open room just like you see in the photos but the photos have to be more than several years old (and nothing has changed in the apartment since they were taken). The view from the private deck can't be beat BUT you had to be careful as many of the floor boards were loose or weak. When I reported that fact to the desk the response was "really?" (felt like "what do you want me to do about it"). The outside furniture was extremely old and dirty - one chair completely broken but still left there. The kitchen was questionable at best - missing cupboard door; broken trash compactor. There were not enough dishes and silverware for 4 people and what was there was a mixture - not that we would use any of it. Frig worked but needed cleaning inside. The rooms were clean. TVs worked. Beds OK. Linens and towels were very clean and the soaps/shampoos in bathrooms were very nice/up scale which made us laugh given the surroundings. Bathrooms looked like they might have new floors but everything else in baths was old; not fancy but clean and everything worked/water pressure and temp good. King bed was a bit lumpy. Second bedroom was barely big enough for 2 beds and not much more. Actually had a (locked) door out into the hallway that had 1 inch opening at bottom. Would not put young children in this room. The two fans provided in that room were needed -- no A/C and poor air circulation. There was A/C in main room and master bedroom.

We moved out after one night -- A/C in master bedroom leaked all over the floor and rug was soaked. We were sure it had to be dripping into the room below. Maintenance did come and the guy at the front desk was nice about things. Offered us another smaller room but we decided to leave. They did refund our money. Apparently A/C has been an ongoing issue as there was no surprise when I reported it. Our concern was mold due to the mild musty smell in the apartment. Overall we were very disappointed. We had hoped given some of the positive reviews early in 2011 as well as the conversation I had with someone there months before when renovations were going on that this spot would be OK but we were far happier in the local Hampton Inn on Rt 9. Not as much space and no great views but for $125/night is was clean and safe.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone unless the owner guts the inside and starts over. The view is just not worth it. We wished we had spent more money and rented a house or Family Room at the Village Inn down the street. (And the person who said the coffee and muffins in the morning were nice -- there is a card table in the entrance way with 2 Mr Coffee machines. No muffins in sight).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Charleston, Sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This historic hotel is well kept but not fancy; it had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. Even better, it is along the beach road, great view, great walks. Staff was always friendly and helpful. My second stay, and not my last!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed here because it was convenient to a wedding reception we were attending at the Village Inn about 5 minutes away. We paid over $160.00 (1 night) so was expecting much more. They also charged our credit card on the day we made the reservation, which was 2 mos. before our arrival! That should've been a red flag right there.

Even though the beach is right across the street, the view from our room was of a side of the building. This hotel is old, floors are wobbly, and the bathroom reeked of urine. It smelled so bad, it drifted into the bedroom so we had to close the bathroom door. The king size bed was way too big for the room. We had 1 foot of space between the bed and the bureau where the TV sat to get to the front door. The carpeting and furniture were all ratty and beat up, maybe they were purchased from the goodwill.

Fortunately, we only stayed one night and couldn't wait to get out of there. We should've read the Tripadvisor comments before picking this hotel, but it was one of the hotels the wedding party recommended so we didn't even think to look up Tripadvisor. Lesson learned!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I'll start with the positive. This hotel has a great view.

Now for the negative. We stayed in an oceanview king room. The room wasn't what I would call clean. I think we were in room that had updated bedding, but it was very pilly and hair stuck to the duvet and shams. It was gross to see other people's hair on our bed. The carpet was probably vacuumed in the middle of the room, but you could see dust and debris around the edges where it obviously would have taken some small amount of effort to clean. But the worst part was the mold. There was a big water stain on the ceiling with black mold growing around the outside. In the closet, the entire ceiling was covered with mold. I wanted to use the extra pillow that was in the closet, but didn't because I was concerned about my health!

The floor underneath the water stain was very saggy. I thought we might fall through! I would hate to see what is underneath the carpet - probably more mold.

All in all, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how gross the conditions were. Thank god we were only there for 1 night. I thought I heard mice in the ceiling. The room keys make an extremely loud beep when they are unlocking a door, so whenever anyone let themselves into their room we would be woken up.

I can't recommend this hotel to anyone for any reason, with any budget. Mold will make you sick!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Red Hook, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I'm going to make this brief, though I could go on for hours. It is gross...acceptable conditions for collegfe students only. In our three night stay, we noticed: MICE! In our garbage...woke me up at 230 in the morning....a rusty nail my 1 year old found on the floor and promptly put in her mouth....what appeared to be the housekeeper's hair all over the bathroom...duvet covers that looked "less than fresh", lamps that either didn't work, or were falling down, renovations that looked like they were done by a novice. If I wanted to be picky, I would also complain about the cheap deck furniture, the closet door and the deck screen door that fell off the first time we used them, and the really bad paint job all over. I really wish i had found this site before booking our mini vacation, and not after. Reading everyone else's reviews made me lol, because they pretty much tell the story. It is a pretty view, but no, you don't walk right out to the beach, and the pool and restaurant are a distance from the AH. Reader BEWARE!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Atlantic House? Share your experiences!