We spent 6 nights at the Anchor Motel in mid-September and couldn't have asked for a more perfect place for a quiet beach vacation with our baby. The owners, Gene and Gail, were friendly but unobtrusive, and went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. As others have said, Gene was there 24/7, and they were both always cleaning outside and in.
The room was spotless and kept that way through the week. As others have mentioned, though, the only toiletry provided was soap, so bring your own shampoo, etc. Our room, #6, had a king-size bed and plenty of room on the side for the portable crib; however, one corner was at an angle to allow for the office doorway next door, so other rooms were probably slightly bigger. Ours and the one on the other side of the office didn't have a separate deck - *maybe* we would have spent more time on the deck if it wasn't sort of part of the office entrance.
The location was absolutely perfect - literally steps away from the beach. No need to worry about parking, using public facilities, etc. We were able to even get onto the beach to see the sun rise one morning - just threw on some clothes and stepped out. Since this is a quiet residential area, be aware that you do have to drive or take a cab to get food (the fridge provided is a good-size one, enough to hold groceries). There's no microwave (yet - hint, hint, Gene). Coffee and doughnuts are provided in the morning, but I would suggest getting some doughboys from Iggy's at least once as well. Share some with Gene - he likes them. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at Scarborough State Beach; a few steps across the small two-lane road and you are on the beach! Fifteen immaculate rooms each with an ocean view and a private deck. Non-smoking motel, great for guests of all ages. Rooms have two double beds (or one king-sized bed), bathroom, refrigerator, AC/heater, cable TV, and wireless internet. Close to the Block Island ferry, the historic towers, Point Judith Lighthouse, and the University of Rhode Island. Continental breakfast served daily. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Anchor Hotel Narragansett
- Anchor Hotel Narragansett
- Anchor Motel Rhode Island