“Best Beach House” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Whale Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Misquamicut
Blue Whale Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Misquamicut B&B and Inns
Center Moriches, New York
“Best Beach House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

My Husband and I went to Blue Whale Inn for Father's Day. It is close to the beach and the lady who runs the Inn is there for her guest at all times. She serves a nice spread of afternoon snacks and Bagels, Juice ,Coffe and Tea in the morning. Other hotels and resorts do not have BBQ and outside showers for when you return from the beach. It is just like being in your own home and you have the freedom to come and go, or go to you room to relax. Also a bottle for two is in your room when you arrive. I would recommend staying a night or two and see how comfortable and relaxing it really is. If you like the Hamptons your will really like this Inn.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
bluewhalemgmt, General Manager at Blue Whale Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Thank you for your positive response. We are always looking to improve, so we greatly appreciate your review. We hope to see you again. Thank you.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I have stayed at the BLUE WHALE INN now for five straight years, and just got home from staying there on a wonderful beach trip June 19. I look forward all year to my weekend beach getaways to Misquamicut Beach with my husband. We originally stayed at the BLUE WHALE based on a friends recommendation, and "wow" were they right. This place is a hidden gem, great big breakfast buffet, wine & cheese (or snacks/sodas for the kids), volleyball court, and nice quiet covered courtyard in the back. Since my first time staying the owner has done many renovations and upgrades, almost making it look newer each year.... A MUST STAY IF YOUR IN MISQUAMICUT BEACH

Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Had another fantastic time at The Blue Whale Inn and it was a great relaxing start to this 2010 summer! We've been going here every year for the past 5 yrs and we look forward to it every year! If your looking for a clean room,great family service,court yard to spend your day or night,A Grill to grill out instead of paying triple the amount down the street at over priced restaurants,Btl of wine in your room at check in,Out door Shower to rinse after the beach,(Good Variety)Continental breakfast with coffee and tea, Wine & Cheese Hour in the afternoon(Snacks for the little ones too!) Than this is the place to go! I've stayed at a few different places in that area and the rooms are absolutely filthy! I am very surprised of the negative reviews on here because i probably wouldnt stay either with these negative reports but the people who wrote them must not be saying the other side of the story and you really never know what the situation could have been, especially by the beach atmosphere(There is a lot of drunks!) I HIGHLY recommend this place and we wouldnt be staying yr after year if we didnt have a truly great time! Just go try it for yourself because thats the only way you will find the truth! And we will be back in August 2010!!

Hartford, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I stayed here on a Sunday night in August with my niece and her two small children. I reserved the "Barnacle" two bedroom suite. It was on the second floor and consisted of a full bathroom (fairly clean, but some mildew on the inside of the shower curtain) a bedroom with a 13" TV mounted high on the wall, a second room with a full size fridge, microwave and small table with 2 stools. This room had a futon that folded out into a bed. A small room at the back had a loveseat that took up the whole width of the room and it opened into a twin size bed. All in all, the room could sleep 5 but it was crowded. Overall it was clean and bright considering that it is a beach location. It is a fairly long walk (about a 1/4 mile) to the beach, especially with kids and no beach pass was included. The grounds were overgrown and the playground consisted of a few toys tossed out in the tall grass. The outdoor shower was at the front of the property facing the road and had a garden hose taking up most of the floor space. There was a cold bottle of wine in the room but we missed the wine and cheese reception because we checked in late. The dirty dishes from it were still out though when we arrived. Breakfast was advertised at 9 AM (Late in my opinion for a beach day). At 9:30 no breakfast and no manager so I called the cell number Chris left and was told that she was out shopping for it so it would be fresh. Breakfast was served an hour late at 10, a real problem with 2 hungry little kids. It consisted of donuts, danish and some fruit. Not worth waiting for. At least it was served outside in a gazebo. When I went to settle the bill, the office area was a disaster. Cluttered, dirty and smelling like wet dog. I would not have eaten anything served there. Lastly, we were overcharged for the room and since she had submitted it for payment to my credit card on the day I made the reservation (about 2 weeks earlier) she had to do a credit on my card. She was unable to give me a credit card document for this credit so I left with a handwritten one. Chris got a little wound up over this and I decided then and there to never return. The charges and the credit did show up on my statement correctly but I'm not sure it would have if I didn't get a written receipt. We talked to another family there who had problems with the room rate changing and the room they were offered. They were charged more for basically the same room we had. Chris got very upset at them when they questioned what they were charged compared to what we were charged. Then she scolded me for for discussing our room rate with them. This is a shady establishment run by an unstable and disorganized person. Be careful in choosing this motel, ask about the cancellation policy and get everything in writing. Your credit card will be charged the day you make your reservation making a cancellation or a refund very difficult.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
bluewhalemgmt, General Manager at Blue Whale Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
All of our policies are stated at time of reservation, posted in our rooms, and on our website. This includes description & photos of our rooms, when breakfast is served, and our policy for charging your credit card. I have no idea why this customer choose our establishment if they did not like our policies, but they are in place for the convenience of the guests. We do not understand why you tell readers that you can't receive a credit, and then further state that your credit showed up fine on your statement. We are glad to see you enjoyed the complimentary wine we brought to your room because you came after the Wine & Cheese Hour. We always appreciate people giving us positive feedback on the cleanliness of our rooms, we strive for our rooms to be clean and bright like you said, so thank you. We are always looking to improve, so we greatly appreciate your review. We hope to see you again. Thank you.
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

The Inn is a converted home, basically a motel, a few blocks from the beach on the main approach road. The owner is friendly but is clearly overwhelmed with keeping up with running the place, which needs a lot of basic maintenance. We stayed in a room in the original part of the house that opened to a hallway with a shared bath. The shared bathroom with shower was very clean and there was plenty of hot water. We had a private sink and toilet. Our non-smoking room was clean, but literally stank from an electric strawberry deodorizer that must have been running on the highest setting for a week. Little things, like pegs missing from the coat rack and a toilet in a room smaller than a kitchen broom cabinet were annoying. The bed was hard and provided a back ache for the next day. There is a covered patio and a back lawn that give some privacy and look nice from a distance. In the evening, it was colonized by middle age drunk guests (each guest gets a complimentary bottle of wine by the way). In the morning a breakfast is offered late, after 9:30 AM, but the seating and serving areas were dirty and the smells of stale tobacco were too strong to endure. The first guest down for the day had a mountain of cigarette packs in front of him; we couldn't tell if he intended to smoke them all or if he was waiting for a crowd,. The little shops and other motels near the beach are a match to the Blue Whale Inn. It's a long, nice beach with a nice state park center but the the mixture of a few nice homes with dilapidated beach front motels creates a overall seedy feeling. If you are a smoker, a heavy sleeper, and you want Misquamicut Beach without paying $20 per day for parking, this is a good deal.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Misquamicut Beach is one of the top locations in New England to visit during the summer months. Its pristine beaches and great hospitality attracts millions of visitors a year. Yes we do offer our guests an ice cold bottle of wine at check-in if they would like, and we encourage our guests to relax in our elegant outdoor courtyard surrounded by tranquil flowers after their beach day. Our entire building is Non-Smoking, however you can smoke outside freely. We only can focus on making our place clean, fresh, and smelling nice, and we do apologize for the guest in front of you at breakfast if they indeed smelt like cigarettes. What I can assure you is that that guest did not smoke inside any room, and that we cannot change a customers personal hygiene. We are always looking to improve, so we greatly appreciate your review. We hope to see you again. Thank you.
Charlton, Ma.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I have stayed at the Inn a couple of times before and it was ok.
I recently booked a weekend for August at the Inn.
Chris asked for my credit card number up front, I was thinking this was standard seeing how most hotels do this to hold the room.
Well this wasnt the case at the Blue Whale Inn, she charged my card the FULL AMOUNT the day I booked the room.
I ended up having to cancel due to a work schedule change.
I gave her a 4 week notice prior to when we were suppose to arrive before canceling. That was over a week ago and she still hasn't taken the charge off of my card. I am now going to have to dipute the charge with my credit card company to get refunded.
When I called to book she was very nice and pleasant, but when I had to call and cancel I felt like I was talking to another person. Her tone of voice completely changed and she was very short with me as if she were angry that I had to cancel.
I used to recommend this place to family and friends but I will no longer do so. I should have listened to everyone else who posted a negative review regarding this place. It used to be a reputable facility, but I think that they have totally changed for the worst!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
BlueWhaleMgmt, General Manager at Blue Whale Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
We are sorry to hear your visit back in 2009 was less than satisfactory, as we strive to create a relaxing environment for all of our guests to enjoy. We have been operating under new management since 2011, and have recently been awarded the prestigious TripAdvisor "Certificate of Excellence 2014". We would love for you to return to enjoy all we now have to offer. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking to improve.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My family and I have been staying at the Inn for about eleven years. Each time, Chris is a wonderful hostess. We return each summer at least three or more times. My kids now age 13, 18 and 20 still ask when are we going to Rhode Island. My 18 year old is not even going to prom but wants to spend the week-end here with friends instead!!!!
We have always been treated extremely well, love the breakfasts, wine and cheese and her dog Angel!! We have been at other places in other states as well as camping. This is the only place EVERYONE wants to return to still!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Been to Blue Whale Inn? Share your experiences!