“Fantastic Staff-Great-On-The-Spot Decision!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   149 Atlantic Avenue, Misquamicut, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Misquamicut
“Fantastic Staff-Great-On-The-Spot Decision!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

Spur of the moment trip with no hotel, motel or inn booked. Quite a few places available but no warm greetings. Were unsure of Sandy Shore Motel due to reviews we read. Checked it out and were welcomed in like family. Toured the ample two bedroom suite equiped with a full kitchen, large bathroom, great view, access to the beach and immediate delivery of two twin size beds we requested. No rush at checkout time and although we had to move our cars we were welcome to enter the beach through the motel. Spoke to desk clerk and grounds patrol about the reviews only to receive logical answers to all our questions. Rocco's Grill was an added treat with reasonable prices, variety and quick service. Sandy Shore Motel put a smile on the faces of each in our group (7 - all women) ranging from age 13 to 46. We agreed there'd be no hesitation to book there again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2004

My husband & I stayed @ the Sandy Shore in Misquamicut for 1 week & will NEVER stay there again. Besides being pricey, which is really NOT an issue with us, it was VERY noisy with a motorcycle hang-out bar across the street as well as the bar having EXTREMELY loud live music into the late night with weekends being worse than weekdays. It was also a dirty place to stay as we had to ask several times to have our room vacuumed when the "housekeepper" failed to show up on MORE than one occasion. We also found the management rather unfriendly as it appeared that they were into it ONLY for the money, the management from before 2001 was much more clientele friendly & truly concerned about the way the hotel was run.

• Stayed September 2001
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2004

Stay away from this place at all costs. We made the mistake of staying at the Sandy Shore Motel last week. Although being right on the beach had certain advantages, they were not outweighed by the fact that the slats on the second floor deck were in such bad shape that one of the slats gave way on the third day of our stay, causing a two year old boy to falls two floors to the ground below. I can tell you that it was a frightening experience to see this happening and to hear the screams of this boy's Mother and the father moaning "my baby, my baby." The ambulance arrived in minutes. I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone with small children. Additionally, the owner, Ralph, seems to feel he can charge customers whatever amount he pleases. Shockingly, his confirmation letter mailed to us in June stated a rate of $400.00 LESS than the amount on the final bill. Despite our protests, he billed our credit card for the entire inflated price. Thus, on top of the trauma of the experience, we now have to contend with fighting the charge on our credit card. Very disappointing.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2004

This motel was a great place to stay, a little pricy- but an overall wonderful experiance. Being so close to the ocean we could hear the waves crash on the shore, and the beach was only 2 seconds away. Convenient, clean, fun.

Hartford, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2004

We were charged an outrageous amount of money and the room was TINY and uncomfortable. Ralph (the owner or manager-whatever!) was rude, condesending and a liar. He charged us one price and the people right next to us 150.00 less. He seemed to charge whatever he felt like. His advertisement at the time claimed "view of ocean from all rooms". Bull. All our room overlooked was the parking lot next door. Parking at his hotel seems to be for him-his wife-his brother and his friends. When I asked where I would be able to park-being a HIGHLY paid customer, I was told I could park outside of the front gate. Nice way to do business. There were apartments in the complex also-there was one next to my room and it was occupied by some of his staff. Well-Ralph and some of his staff went out one night and came back to the hotel drunk and so loud it was pathetic. It was three oclock in the morning and they were yelling and screaming at each other right outside of my window. To make matters worse-I couldnt even enjoy my breakfast in peace. I had gone to the restaurant across the street and guess who comes in? Ralph, his brother, their wives, their "kids"-they let the kids run wild all over the restaurant bothering everyone in sight. Finally after I had been bothered for a good twenty minutes I told one of them to get the rest of them and get back with their parents where they belonged. The waitress apologized and said the kids were always let loose like that by their parents. What a shame that entire weekend was. You couldn't pick a worse place in all of Misquamicut. Believe me-go anywhere but there!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2003

Sandy Shore was a pleasant place to stay. We have come now for 3 years and always enjoy the location and newly refurbished rooms. I love the bananna boats and water trampoline. Misquamicut has never been more beautiful and there are so many activities that the Misquamicut Business Association presents. Fall and spring are nice there too.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2003

Excellent vactioning at Sandy Shore. Sandy Shore, and "Rocco's grill" are the best of the Misquamicut beach. Also, this is the only hotel on the beach with banana boat rides, water trampolines, and excellent service. Managament really makes you feel at home.

Been to Sandy Shore Motel? Share your experiences!