“clean, nice private beach” 4 of 5 stars

Sandy Shore Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   149 Atlantic Avenue, Misquamicut, Westerly, RI 02891   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Misquamicut
Southampton, Massachusetts
“clean, nice private beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2015

Happened to get last minute reservations for July 4 2014, I was pleasantly surprised. The private beach was nice, the patio was perfect for lounging without going down into the sand. The bar was OK not really my thing, drinks were small and weak, but that's not what I was there for anyway. We could bear the ocean from our room. Only drawback was when the bars let out, the motle is right near one of the busies each bars, but not a big deal.

Room Tip: I was never able to log into their WIFI for some reason
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hazlet, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

A girlfriend and I decided to do a road trip up to Block Island, and then Newport. If possible I always prefer to book hotels right on the ocean. This looked decent enough so we booked for Friday into Saturday. Due to traffic, we were going to arrive there later than we expected so I called the hotel and explained the delay to them to make sure there would be no problem checking in. Upon speaking to the owner/manager she explained that the computer was down, but I should call when I get there. Once we arrived, I was shocked at how run down the hotel looked even in the dark. The office was closed, so I called her as she asked. After a short discussion, she told me that check in time was suppose to be between 3-5 pm. Nowhere on the hotel site or Booking.com did it say anything about a time limit on check-in, only that it was "from 3:00 pm" . We were then directed to a room and a mailbox outside the office which would have a master key in it for us to use. We were told to return the key to the mailbox since that was her only master and she would be over to the hotel at about 9am to take care of all the details. The room was run down very dated. No phone, no microwave, no coffee maker just a beat up little college fridge in the corner. The bathroom had no area to put toiletries or makeup etc and the sink/mirror area was so small it was almost impossible to put contacts in not to mention it was so dimly lit you could barely see in the mirror. The shower door jams so it was a hassle getting in and another getting out and at 5'2" it was very tight for space. Above the shower the ceiling tiles were missing leaving a gaping hole. The beds were uncomfortable not to mention noisy if you moved an inch. The room was musty smelling so we had to leave the door open a bit to air it out. The balcony with ocean views is basically the walkway for the second level of the hotel which everyone must use to come and go. At this point we decided to leave first thing in the AM and would catch the early boat over to Block Island. The quality of this hotel is equivalent to that of a cheap roadside motel, except this is located right on the water which is the only reason it got a poor rating instead of terrible. Not worth the money!!.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Misquamicut hotels

Rockland, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

We made reservations for a Friday and Saturday night in October. We arrived at 6:30 pm and our room was not ready. The excuse was a computer issue. No key was available. We came back 1 1/2 hours later and the room door was open and no one was around. The room was not clean, no toilet paper, no phone, no microwave, no pillow cases for the extra pillows, 2 broken lamps, a filthy chair, hair painted into the door trim in the bathroom and a shower head that sprayed over the door. We had to share a "master" room key with other guests. Whoever it was that was supposed to be in charge was not around or not helpful in addressing our concerns. When we came back after dinner on Saturday night, there was a skunk ransacking a trash can. The parking was extremely limited. The view of the ocean was great. The wi-fi worked. I know this was off-season, but this place was abysmal and we will never stay there again. It was not worth $129 per night. It did not look like the online photos and the bed was uncomfortable.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

I stayed here due to the location of a race I was running in town, and the fact that it was directly on the beach. After checking in we went to our room. While walking to the room I noticed a lot of clutter, trash, and a dirty smell. When I got into the room at first glance I thought ok not to bad. The TV was super small (no big deal I wasn't there to watch TV anyways), the floor felt sandy (I get it we are on the beach), the drawers didn't close on the nightstand, there were big rust stains on it, there was a outlet cover missing, there were holes in the ceiling, the small fridge spun around everytime you wanted to open it, The small table was not sturdy even with a small amount of stuff on it, the toilet had a different cover on the back that didn't fit. The shower was dirty with mold, and I don't even know what (I wore my flip flops in the shower after my race. If I didn't have a long drive back I would've skipped the shower, but I desperately needed it). There was a bar outside. Not sure what to make of it. I didn't utilize it, and probably wouldn't have. Something just seemed off about it. There was "security" at the hotel when I came back and parked, he asked me for my pass which I showed him. As I was going to my room I noticed numerous people out on the porch drinking and such. I planned to go to bed early as I was getting up early. These people were yelling repeatedly, had music blaring, and were being extremely loud until after 2:30am. I'm not sure why "security" didn't say anything. I didn't call down to the office because upon check in, no information was given. The woman barely said anything to me except to ask for an ID, my car registration, and to tell me what room I was in. When checking out the woman said nothing again. Not good morning, not how was our stay etc. Needless to say I would not stay here again. The location was perfect but my stay was not. For the price I paid, over $200 for the night in off season I thought it would have been nicer.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

We made a reservation through Hotels.com where they said our credit card number was only being used to hold the room. The following night 50% of the full charge was taken from our card. We were alarmed and wanted to cancel reservation Immediately. We talked with the owner/manager, he said if we canceled through Hotels.com he would refund us our money. We canceled, the previous conversation was promptly forgotten by the manager and we fought for about a week and finally gave up on ever seeing our money again. Then on the date of our initial reservation (that we had canceled) the remaining amount was taken from our account. This place is run by crooks

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
CONNECTICUT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

We arrived at Sandy Shore at 6pm,so the room should have been clean by then.It was pretty gross. Floors were dirty and sandy,and there was leftover food in the cabinent and fridge. No ice ,cups, nothing. We got the grand suite-lol, quite the joke. Not a suite, just to really beat up rooms, with tired, old beds. Cracked tiles,dirty walls.Only nice thing was the bay window. We were able to open it and hear the ocean. I would not have felt comfortable leaving any window there that anyone can access because there were some very questionable people there. Room next to us had three adults in a one bed unit.Not something a good hotel would encourage or allow. There was also no room service, we had no clean towels, and we were not alone, it was the talk of the place.They also charge more on line then they do with the rates they have posted in the office.Check your bill carefully......

Room Tip: Go to the pleasant view inn or sand castle
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

This motel, located right on Misquamicut Beach in Westerly, RI, is a basic, independent roadside motel that features great ocean views and is just steps to the beach and ocean. The rooms were clean, provide the most basic amenities, including a good, old lumpy mattress, but you won't go wrong on location and price ! The staff was friendly, there is a beach side bar with reasonably priced beverages, a limited number of deck chairs, chaises and even fire pits where you can enjoy a night time marshmallow roast with the $6 log that is on sale in the hotel lobby. Fresh bags of ice are available for your cooler for only $4. Bring your own beach towels, beach accessories, shampoo and soaps because you won't find a blow dryer for your hair or aniron / ironing board in the room. In fact, we didn't even have a closet, just a clothes rack, TV with cable, small dining table with two chairs, night stands, window A/C that worked just fine and plenty of drawer space for our clothes. We paid $126 / night for a king size bed and we could hear the ocean waves slapping against the beach all night long. It was rally a fantastic location! Parking is provided in the courtyard so you have easy access to your auto if you don't want to lug everything up to your room on the second and third floors. Forget about elevators or handicapped accessibility, this is place for families and healthy adults that just want or need the basics. Next door is additional beach front music, dining and partying. Local restaurants, a General Store and the State Beach are all within walking distance.
I would absolutely return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandy Shore Motel? Share your experiences!