“Hope for the best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Middletown
East Amherst, New York
“Hope for the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

When we went to check in, it was obvious that there was a problem. There was a wedding party that had booked a bank of rooms and there were not enough to go around. I went to check in around 5pm and was told that my room was not ready yet. We left, went to dinner, and they called me and said they had "found" a room, which I found odd since I had made a reservation 7 months in advance. Anyway, when we walked in the room it was terrible. It smelled, there were holes in the carpet, the showerhead sprayed water everywhere, and the towel rack fell off. To their credit, they did send someone who fixed the showerhead and the towel rack. The room was extremely humid, regardless of how we set the air conditioning. After two days, we went back to the front desk and a wonderful young lady by the name of Lori was kind enough to move us to the 2nd floor. This room was a huge step up because the carpeting was in good shape, there was no oppressive humidity to deal with, the air conditioner worked, and there was no offensive smell. Had we had this room to begin with, my review would have been almost completely positive. This hotel desperately needs an elevator. 3 floors is too far for people to have to carry their luggage. This is inexcusable.

The bottom line is, if you are lucky enough to get the right room, this hotel is affordable and a very short drive from Newport. If you end up in one of the rooms like we had for the first 2 nights, it can ruin your trip.

Room Tip: Avoid room 118 at all costs! Even cockroaches and bedbugs would find another place to stay!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very old hotel with smelly rooms. Some rooms renovated but others with old very noisy a/c, dirty bathroom. The beds are ok. Breakfast so so. It is overpriced hotel with one or one and a half star located far from everything. Good only to stay one night.

• Stayed July 2013
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

STAY AWAY unless you don’t mind rolling the dice on your vacation.
I decided to take my family on a weekend getaway to the beautiful state of RI. I booked our hotel through Hotwire.com. By doing so I was not told the name of the hotel until I completed my reservation.
After I booked I started reading the reviews, they were not good, but it was too late. Once we arrived to the hotel there were about 15 people in the lobby having problems checking in. The lady in front of me was given the wrong type of room, and was told they didn’t know when they would have a room for her. They told her to go out or go to the restaurant and they would call her.
When it was my turn to check-in, I had no problems. When we walked up the stairs to the second floor (there is no elevator) we noticed a strong smell of cigarette smoke and the hallways to be VERY humid and muggy. The entire hotel is nonsmoking but reeks of cigarettes. The rooms are old, out dated, and minimally clean. Only a hand full of rooms have small fridges in them (about 6).
The second night our toilet backed up, I went to the front desk foe help but they could not find anybody that had a plunger (what a shame). They moved us to a new room on the third floor which was even more out dated than the first. I decided to take a walk to the fitness center; the closer I got to it the more I noticed the smell of what seemed like human waste (totally disgusting). The night could not be over fast enough, my family and I wanted out of there.
So if you don’t mind rolling the dice on your family’s vacation go for it. I’m staying away

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Booked on a site where you don't know what hotel you are booking. Example hotels were very good; I had stayed in most. The worst part of this hotel was the continental breakfast room. Food was typical. The dining area was FILTHY!!!!! Maroon chairs were stained black. Crumbs all over the tables and floor. The buffet was serviced by staff dressed like janitors; maybe they were. The room was ok. Clean, the housekeeping staff is obviously doing what they can with old bed sheets that didn't fit the deep mattresses. My room could sleep 4 but the little table had only one chair with torn upholstery. The blackout curtain lining was torn in about 20 places. Front desk staff needs some remedial training in courtesy - they were not very friendly. Definitely not worth the price, even in peak season. No pool for my niece and nephew.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you need to ask for a ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Middletown? Share your experiences!